UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Musician Talk (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Record Label related question? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1562920)

Free_Fall 09-14-2012 04:30 PM

Record Label related question?

Which international record label will help me(a south asian band and genre is melodic death metal) to publish an EP?

Please name some record label.

Thanks in Advance.

JAHellraiser 09-15-2012 02:04 PM

Most labels won't sign someone unless they already have some kinda buzz on their own. Your best bet would be to raise/save money and do it yourself. You can put your music out through itunes, bandcamp, etc.

Free_Fall 09-17-2012 04:27 AM

@Jahellraiser: Thanks....i didnt know about bandcamp. This willl definately help.

But to others...guys plz name some record label that will sign with us(a south asian band and genre is melodic death metalfor EP).

Sleepy__Head 09-17-2012 04:45 AM

Sorry it just doesn't work like that. Record labels are businesses and don't tend to sign artists unless they are positively sure they can recoup whatever money they spend on that artist. That's not to say you shouldn't try sending demos to the kinds of labels who are likely to sign DM bands (do a web search for some?) but you have to be realistic that they're highly unlikely to shell out a load of cash to pay for studio time just on a hunch.

Hail 09-17-2012 11:15 AM

make your EP first

play lots of shows and tailor your set until you have a proper fan base to expand on and music to record, then record it. the publishing and distribution aspects are all for naught if you don't have the backbone and initiative to get it done and get it done right, and will get you much better terms because the label will already know your sound, understand you're serious, and can gauge their own abilities to sell it to make it as lucrative as possible for everyone involved.

ChamsRock 09-17-2012 09:16 PM

Labels don't just sign bands willy-nilly. You need a fan base, good songs, perhaps a demo, and a whole lot of luck.
Play some gigs, build a rapport with fans, make a name for yourselves.

axemanchris 09-21-2012 11:30 PM

Labels, even at the indie level, are not risk-takers. As stated above, they're betting on ponies, and they don't like to lose. They won't sign you unless they are almost absolutely certain that you will be a winning pony.

So, in that context, here are a couple of thoughts...

If you have slugged it out long enough to develop a great product - both in terms of writing and a live show - and have developed a great following, you will know who the labels are who sign your kind of band. The fact that you don't know tells me that you are clearly not ready.

Let's say I'm an independent label. I have a budget of $10 000 USD to invest in your band. Convince me that I'm at least going to break even. To do that, please tell me the following:
- gigging status in the last 18 months - frequency, attendance, how much you get paid, etc.
- sales - how many CD's, t-shirts, etc. you have sold
- buzz - social media presence (youtube views, facebook likes, etc.), print, radio and television press your band has gained, etc
- fanbase - how many fans do you have and where are they from, as evidenced by sales records, tour receipts, mailing lists, etc.

Notice that, so far, I don't even care what you sound like? If you come back with:
-gigging status = we play twice a week at venues that typically hold 500-700 people, touring mostly through Northern Europe, but also including the Baltic and Mediterranean countries. We've also been to the USA twice in the last 18 months. Attendance usually averages 450 people per show.
- we've sold 14 000 copies of our CD so far - usually selling about a dozen per show, but have sold many copies through web order and iTunes
- The video we did last year as 455 000 views with 95% of people liking it. Songs from our last album were picked up by 40 campus stations around the world, along with various internet radio stations, and the metal station on Sirius satellite radio.
- We have a review from a show that we played in France that describes us as "louder than bombs and twice as dangerous" and describes how we "pummelled the crowd into a spectacular frenzy of fist-pumping and moshing that this club hasn't seen in the ten years since it opened."

I'm interested. It doesn't even matter what kind of music you do or whether or not I think you sound any good. You clearly have a market, a product, and the chops to get the job done.

If you come back with:
- gigging - we've played three shows - a battle of the bands, an open mic, and at my uncle's stag and doe
- sales - we're currently working on our first CD
- buzz - we have a Facebook page with 14 likes
- fanbase - we're going to start maintaining a mailing list...

I don't care how good you are. I don't care what kind of music you do, and I don't care who is in your band. I have no confidence that I'll be getting my $10 000 back.

CT

HotspurJr 09-22-2012 01:11 PM

Yeah. If you've already recorded the EP (and you did say "publish" which implies it's already recorded) then, especially today, you really don't need a label.

You only really want the label once you're at a point where their distribution/marketing effort will make a difference because you have the fans and you have the songs. A lot of people like to dream that a label will drop in out of the sky and push them to startdom, but the reality is that while a label can help get you over the summit, you've got to be well on your way already.

Sleepy__Head 09-22-2012 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotspurJr
A lot of people like to dream that a label will drop in out of the sky and push them to startdom

Aw shit. So that's not going to happen? Dammit!

JAHellraiser 09-22-2012 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy__Head
Aw shit. So that's not going to happen? Dammit!

It could, but you would probably be a Justin Beiber/Juan Direction-esque singer or group

Hail 09-23-2012 12:40 AM

bach wasn't signed to a label

Sleepy__Head 09-23-2012 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAHellraiser
It could, but you would probably be a Justin Beiber/Juan Direction-esque singer or group

Double dammit! I have a face made for radio. :(

Beethoven wasn't signed to a label either. Chuck Berry was though.

Hail 09-23-2012 12:34 PM

and buckcherry shouldn't have been :haha:

masonliams 03-01-2013 04:31 AM

Record Label related question?

Most labels won't sign someone unless they already have some kinda buzz on their own. Your best bet be to raise/save money and do it.

CelestialGuitar 03-01-2013 10:47 AM

I've actually met with a few people who run labels and management companies, and I'd say distribute the EP yourself if you want it out there. As mentioned before, labels want you to create your own buzz, and, not only that, metal labels are sent hundreds, if not thousands of demos a week at times, generally, 80 - 90% will be some kind of Death, be it Brutal, Technical, Melodic, or Standard Death, so in this market, you'll have to really push yourself forward. I'd recommend getting a professionally done music video (in my band's upcoming release, we're investing nearly 3000 into the whole release, in the grand scheme of things, not a lot of money), pay for distribution through Itunes etc, Reverbnation do this for a very cheap price, and work on building your fanbase.

However, please be aware, just because you're signed doesn't mean you'll be big any time soon. I actually once knew a band which is now signed to a huge label that's signed huge bands in their genre, and while that was an amazing offer, the label's attitude is 'Why spend money on getting this band famous, when we can double our money sending this bigger band on tour?'. And this band has a huge fanbase, two million views on one of their music videos, they've still not toured or anything since the signing.