UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Pit (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Help Me Go to Cambodia to Study Sex Trafficking! (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1562921)

Dosed. 09-14-2012 04:37 PM

Help Me Go to Cambodia to Study Sex Trafficking!

Hey everyone!

I have been presented with the opportunity to travel to Cambodia to study and work with victims of human trafficking. The trip is worth three credit hours to my Master's Degree in Mental Health Counseling, and it would be an AMAZING opportunity for me to refine my skills in multiculturalism, therapy with trauma victims, and on the issue of human trafficking itself.

I have never been outside of the United States, and I would be so humbled by the opportunity to travel overseas and be able to put my skills to use in such a giving way.

Here is some information about the organization I would be working with: www.destinyrescue.org/us.

Obviously, this opportunity comes with a cost. The total estimated cost of the trip is around $4,000. My university is offering a $1,000 scholarship to those who are able to go on the trip, and I plan on saving back some extra money I have from my work-study job. If needed, I will also take out a student loan. Even with all of these resources, the price range is still outside of my comfortable affordability. So I am turning to my family and friends, including my beloved UG friends, to help me out. Any donation would be GREATLY appreciated! Every little bit counts, and it all adds up! It would go toward helping me grow into the wordly, cultured person that I want to be, become an understanding and effective counselor in the future, and helping victims of human trafficking in these areas.

You would have my never-ending gratitude for any contribution you could make.

Here is the website where you can make your contribution:

http://www.youcaring.com/fundraiser...draiser_id=9487

Thank you for your support,

Dosed. (aka, Kayla)

PS- If you make a donation and do not wish to remain anonymous, please send me either your mailing address or email address in the comment section so that I may send you a personalized thank you.

Jackal58 09-14-2012 04:38 PM

For a second I thought you were Gary Glitter.

guitarherolol 09-14-2012 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal58
For a second I thought you were Gary Glitter.

+1

zgr0826 09-14-2012 05:07 PM

I would give you money, but it's your money too.

MinterMan22 09-14-2012 05:09 PM

zgr0826 and Dosed. sitting in a tree
k i s s i n g

valennic 09-14-2012 05:30 PM

So like...your title made me think you were an aspiring sex trafficker.

I'm really happy I'm wrong :haha:. I may be able to throw a few bucks your way, lemme see how my pay day looks.

Burgery 09-14-2012 05:47 PM

I would donate money but I don't have any. :(

rabidguitarist 09-14-2012 05:53 PM

Typical US volunteering organisation- they're absolutely fleecing you on the cost of the trip.

Even with the $1000 scholarship taken off, $3000 is incredibly steep considering you can stay in a more than decent hotel for about $2 a night and eat for about the same.

Plus, this is scary:

"Destiny Rescue however, is a Christian organisation so does promote Christian values but present our faith as a lifestyle of action and compassion rather than just a belief. Yes the children are given opportunity to become Christians but neither the children nor their families are under any compulsion to become Christians."

WCPhils 09-14-2012 05:58 PM

Sorry, I don't have any money to donate. :( :(

ErikLensherr 09-14-2012 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valennic

This :haha:

ali.guitarkid7 09-14-2012 06:21 PM

You sound a little too excited about this. I don't know, that OP felt a bit too opportunistic :haha:

Sorry though, I haven't got any cash at all.

Dosed. 09-14-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidguitarist
Typical US volunteering organisation- they're absolutely fleecing you on the cost of the trip.

Even with the $1000 scholarship taken off, $3000 is incredibly steep considering you can stay in a more than decent hotel for about $2 a night and eat for about the same.

Plus, this is scary:

"Destiny Rescue however, is a Christian organisation so does promote Christian values but present our faith as a lifestyle of action and compassion rather than just a belief. Yes the children are given opportunity to become Christians but neither the children nor their families are under any compulsion to become Christians."

yeah, about the whole Christian thing--

My group is not having a part in that at all. We are a state university, and we won't be involved in any of that stuff.

Also, keep in mind it's paying for the flight and my credit hours for the university as well.

zgr0826 09-14-2012 06:53 PM

So apparently someone donated $200 and this was Kayla's response: "Oh my god! I feel like Walt Jr.!"

JackWhiteIsButts 09-14-2012 07:21 PM

You could always raise the money by whoring yourself out to greasy old men if the whole "solicit money from 13 year olds on a guitar forum" thing doesn't pan out.

Jackal58 09-14-2012 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RU Experienced?
You could always raise the money by whoring yourself out to greasy old men if the whole "solicit money from 13 year olds on a guitar forum" thing doesn't pan out.

:idea: Whore out the 13 year olds to Gary Glitter!!!!!!

Xiaoxi 09-14-2012 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgr0826
So apparently someone donated $200 and this was Kayla's response: "Oh my god! I feel like Walt Jr.!"

I'm giving 10 bucks just for that awesome BrBa reference.

MinterMan22 09-14-2012 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidguitarist

Plus, this is scary:

tbh not scary at all

adamgur96 09-14-2012 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valennic

+1 :haha:

zgr0826 09-15-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi
I'm giving 10 bucks just for that awesome BrBa reference.

That is so ca$h.

guitarxo 09-15-2012 11:45 AM

I'm not doing too well with money right now but I'll see if I can contribute soon. You have to visit me too ok? I'm just a $79 flight away :)