UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Musician Talk (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   VSTi for dance/club music? And tools? Tips? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1563395)

Aralingh 09-17-2012 01:15 PM

VSTi for dance/club music? And tools? Tips?

A friend of mine asked me to write something that would be played in a modern club, and while I generally don't like such music, I said I'd give it a try since I would want to explore into this genre, having never done this before.

I don't need any tutoring into the songwriting based behind this genre, but I do need to know which tools/VSTi are used to record this, I've only written symphonic compositions by far so I wouldn't have any idea where to start.

To give an example of what I would have to write, it's something like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoPYsIqWrm8#

He is particularly interested in what he calls "bass drop" at 1:00, any tips/headers?

Nietsche 09-17-2012 01:24 PM

Can't hear it properly on my cheap in-ear headphones but he might be referring to a sub-bass drop. They're also used in breakdowns for metalcore and such. Basically there's something being played at the lower end of human hearing around 20 - 60 hz. Those kind of frequencies are felt a lot more than they're heard, which can be pretty effective if you're planning to have your music bursting out of a club sound system, it's not such a pronounced effect listening on home speakers though unless you've got a higher end sound system. Search for sub drops or something and you'll probably find some samples.

Aralingh 09-17-2012 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietsche
Can't hear it properly on my cheap in-ear headphones but he might be referring to a sub-bass drop. They're also used in breakdowns for metalcore and such. Basically there's something being played at the lower end of human hearing around 20 - 60 hz. Those kind of frequencies are felt a lot more than they're heard, which can be pretty effective if you're planning to have your music bursting out of a club sound system, it's not such a pronounced effect listening on home speakers though unless you've got a higher end sound system. Search for sub drops or something and you'll probably find some samples.

I understand that, but I don't need just samples, I need virtual instruments that will allow me to make my own, and not just the bass, as well as synth parts and all that, I will look into it more attentively when I've the time.

Unholy.Daemon 09-17-2012 02:16 PM

there are plenty of good free ones out there, just google synth vst and there'll be hundreds of results. it's more to do with experimentation to get the results you want, and some vsti's come with preset patches anyways

AmirT 09-17-2012 02:17 PM

I"ve got;
-Massive (basic osc with extra functions including res/cutoff, and much more!)
-a basic 3xosc
-z3ta+
-FM 8
-Absynth

All kinds of house-oriented VST are fine.
Otherwise there are good sample packs like Vengeance.

Aralingh 09-17-2012 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholy.Daemon
there are plenty of good free ones out there, just google synth vst and there'll be hundreds of results. it's more to do with experimentation to get the results you want, and some vsti's come with preset patches anyways

Is there any high end leading-company that makes VSTi in this genre?

Coreasaur 09-18-2012 04:14 AM

ReFx Nexus is what I use for alot of synth patches, most of the sounds are very club/trance.

seljer 09-21-2012 04:03 AM

Theres no magic ultimate-become-the-hippest-producer-in-all-the-clubs-instantly synth VST. You can get great sounds out the simple stuff that comes with most sequencer programs. Reason or Fruitloops have practically all you'd ever need. You can create entire songs, percussion, bass and leads using with just one type of synth with some effects if you're good at tweaking it.

Its all about how you use it and how you arrange the song.

For the bass drop sound: try a descending sinewave sweep from about 80 to 20hz over the period of a second or two. That or a way way detuned electronic tom or kick sound (like from an 808 drum machine type synth). Or just find a sample somewhere.

Hail 09-21-2012 10:23 AM

get FL studio

that's literally 3/4ths the battle

then google "how to dubstep"

you're done