UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Blues & Jazz (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Why do you like The Blues? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1564308)

HoneyboyHart 09-22-2012 12:52 PM

Why do you like The Blues?

It seems most people pick up the guitar for different reasons and because they like a certain type of music. But sooner of later people start liking the blues. Why do you like the blues and what brought you to it?

KG6_Steven 09-22-2012 01:01 PM

I just like the way it sounds. Nothing like a good blues guitarist belting out some tasty, soulful blues.

Need there be any other reason?

George Juggles 09-22-2012 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6_Steven
I just like the way it sounds. Nothing like a good blues guitarist belting out some tasty, soulful blues.

Need there be any other reason?

I agree, blues is the most soulful music out there. I just started liking blues a year ago, but its amazing.

AmirT 09-22-2012 02:17 PM

Because it's kinda like jazz, nobody really hates it, everybody likes it in some way, it's relaxing, emotional..
Although it's the same riff or whatever, each time it sounds different.. easy to play..

Lot's of reasons..

KG6_Steven 09-22-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmirT
Because it's kinda like jazz, nobody really hates it, everybody likes it in some way, it's relaxing, emotional..
Although it's the same riff or whatever, each time it sounds different.. easy to play..

Lot's of reasons..

You haven't met my wife and daughter. Hate jazz? Yes, they do. Personally, I love it. Jazz and blues are both different, but I love both of them.

KISSmyass666 09-22-2012 02:37 PM

Blues connects with you.

That's why i like it.

DeanThaBean 09-22-2012 02:49 PM

El3ment380 09-22-2012 02:57 PM

It's awesome, especially the way angus young plays it.

HoneyboyHart 09-22-2012 05:11 PM

Someone said that blues is"jazz for guitarists with no chops". But I don't agree. Some great jazz guitarists can't play blues very well. They don't have the emotional connection to the guitar to play blues well. And as far as chops... they haven't heard Ronnie Earl, or Robben Ford play the blues.

Just my opinion...

jkielq91 09-22-2012 05:22 PM

Blues is very vocal and human. So every one can relate to it.

carmour 09-23-2012 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyboyHart
Someone said that blues is"jazz for guitarists with no chops". But I don't agree. Some great jazz guitarists can't play blues very well. They don't have the emotional connection to the guitar to play blues well. And as far as chops... they haven't heard Ronnie Earl, or Robben Ford play the blues.

Just my opinion...

Amen. There are some jazz players who look down on blues for some reason. Granted, there are a lot of bad blues bands out there (at least in my country), and also a lot of jazz players who respect blues for what it is, but there still seems to be some stigma. There is definitely a lot of skill involved in traditional/primitive forms of music.

I think it was originally the sound of the music that attracted me to it.. big grooves, big personalities.. it sounds real.

wolflen 09-24-2012 11:03 AM

jazz was born in the blues...basie, ellington..miles..every top keyboard and horn and reed players know the blues inside out...jazz players look down on the blues? havent seen it..definately have not heard it..

Buggboy 09-24-2012 12:22 PM

Both are amazing forms of music and crossover a hell of a lot. Just depends what you like!

Of course you you can have a blues tune where the guitarist is just hammering on a chord/couple of notes and it's all about the vocal but then there are some Jazz Standard tunes built around very simple progressions to give the vocal that space and freedom.

Knowing when to play less is one of the hardest skills to master.... (especially for us ego-heavy guitarists ;))

GuitarQ33r0 10-12-2012 12:38 AM

I was sitting at home and flipped to pbs and watched Stevie Ray Vaughan and Albert King play stormy monday and was blown away when I was around 17. It made every thing I ever heard sound like total shit lol. I started learning to play the blues and it felt like I was relearning guitar because of how much deep emotion you need to be able to connect with your guitar. I can't say I learned to play the blues yet because I feel like you are never done learning. I love it because it is as simple and basic as you can get, but still the most complected at the same time.

HoneyboyHart 11-02-2012 02:03 PM

I think the essence of what makes any music interesting is the interplay between tension and resolution. That really is where the emotion of the blues comes from. The simplicity of the blues makes it easy to communicate that tension and resolution. But there needs to be lots of space to draw the listener in... There's really a lot to it. I've heard some good examples on YouTube but not sure how to add a video here.

ron666 11-18-2012 10:27 PM

I just like the way it sounds.

ron666

nathan:-) 11-21-2012 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarQ33r0
I was sitting at home and flipped to pbs and watched Stevie Ray Vaughan and Albert King play stormy monday and was blown away when I was around 17. It made every thing I ever heard sound like total shit lol. I started learning to play the blues and it felt like I was relearning guitar because of how much deep emotion you need to be able to connect with your guitar. I can't say I learned to play the blues yet because I feel like you are never done learning. I love it because it is as simple and basic as you can get, but still the most complected at the same time.

This was pretty much the same with me, except I listened to SRV's version of Little Wing. I was blown away by what he could do, and yes, everything else sounded like shit after getting into the blues ;)

Art Vandalay 11-23-2012 01:54 AM

I heard some old blues song on a movie when I was probably 10 or 11 and knew there was something really cool about it. Later on I realized I really liked the groove of the blues, the elegant simplicity of it and how applicable it can be to day to day life. Now days, I love learning the history of it and all about the folks that made it what it is. Most of all, I love to just jam out the blues. It's fun and can be simple to play and you can always do something familiar yet different with it

helltothee 12-01-2012 11:21 AM

It reaches to you a lot. It's soulful and the way it is, is so cool.

jayx124 12-01-2012 12:07 PM

I love minor jazz blues e.g. Equinox, Hassan's dream, etc