UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gear Building & Customizing (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Danelectro Longhorn build (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1564392)

LeviMan_2001 09-23-2012 02:45 AM

Danelectro Longhorn build

Hey folks, thought you might be interested in my danelectro longhorn guitar build (not bass). So far I've got as far as a neck blank and the body mostly glued up.

Neck blank being glued. It's made of old mahogany trim boards from my house. Rings like mad if you tap it!

Routing the top

Finished routing the outside and most of the inside

But then this happened

But it was okay because I glued it back on!

LeviMan_2001 09-23-2012 02:46 AM

Then I glued up the top

Can you see a glue joint? I sure can't! (Note the old nail holes :D )

The body as it sits right now

By the way, the end result will be a 'relic'. I've always wanted a beat to hell longhorn, but vintage ones are expensive (and rare) and I would feel bad hacking a reissue up. By the way this will be a six string guitar.

Also, any pictures of old beat up longhorn guitars would be highly appreciated!

whoomit 09-24-2012 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviMan_2001
But then this happened

How did that happen!? :wtf:

Telecaster7 09-24-2012 06:13 AM

Following this too. Retro type guitars are sexy as sex.

LeviMan_2001 09-25-2012 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
How did that happen!? :wtf:

Routers man, I got to aggresive with it. They are brutal, especially if you get into a little like "cave" where the bit is surrounded on most sides.

Anyhow, now I've got the back glued up and trimmed. And today all my parts came in!! Yay! Hopefully more tomorrow.

LeviMan_2001 10-01-2012 04:18 AM

Well, work is progressing slowly. I got all the parts I ordered in the mail:

Cheap looking, but they feel tight. I'll have to yellow up and smooth out the knobs.

Somehow they magically line up with dano spacing...

Nice pre slotted 'board

And then today I started on the headstock and scarf joint

Ghetto jig. And snow. Wtf

Well that's ugly. Thank god for belt sanders

This shall become my headstock. What a fantastic piece of wood. Too bad it was wasted on a trim board :(

LeviMan_2001 11-01-2012 05:58 AM

Woah! Look who forgot to update his thread. Watch this:

LeviMan_2001 11-01-2012 05:59 AM

whoomit 11-01-2012 07:19 AM

Haha, progress!

LeviMan_2001 11-01-2012 01:18 PM

Yessir! Next step is going to be carving the neck, finishing up some shaping and then making it pretty and RTFO!!

LeviMan_2001 11-02-2012 04:28 AM

More progress, mounted the pickups and finished out the neck joint area.

LeviMan_2001 11-04-2012 07:15 AM

Well today was an exciting and productive day! I made a string through retainer thingy as well as drilled the string through holes. Then I sanded the fretboard radius. I mounted the tuners, and lastly I fretted it! I put a couple strings on it for testing purposes and with the string height set to the thickness of a penny at the 12th I got no buzzes anywhere except a hardcore fretout on the first fret (it has a zero fret). So just a bit of a fret level tomorrow and it'll be golden.

Now here's something a bit more up the UG alley. Yesterday I started working on a friends Epiphone explorer. He lent it to a jackass who tried to move the strap button to the back of it and snapped the screw off in it. Needless to say said jackass also beat it up pretty bad. So it's getting a refin!

The plan is to do a natural finish. And so far the wood underneath looks promising, it is korina.

LeviMan_2001 11-06-2012 05:49 AM

Today I built a string guide for this thing and cut the end of the fretboard off where the string guide goes. Then I leveled the frets, strung it up and played it for a few hours with a square neck :D . Easier to play than it sounds actually. Anyhow, I blew it all back apart now and got a little bit of neck on before deciding to head to bed/post here. I love neck carving! It's fun.

LeviMan_2001 11-07-2012 03:45 AM

Neeeeeckkkk. Tomorrow begins finishing.

busstopninja 11-07-2012 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviMan_2001
Now here's something a bit more up the UG alley. Yesterday I started working on a friends Epiphone explorer. He lent it to a jackass who tried to move the strap button to the back of it and snapped the screw off in it. Needless to say said jackass also beat it up pretty bad. So it's getting a refin!

How does somebody mess up moving a strap button?

LeviMan_2001 11-09-2012 07:01 PM

Well they just started screwing the screw straight into the korina without a pilot hole. So big screw+dense wood=broken screw.

Anyhow, so today I'm working on grain filling the neck and the sides of the guitar! Normally fir shouldn't require filling, but my routing was sloppy at best. I need an upspiral bit!

R_Gallagher_Fan 11-10-2012 11:08 AM

Any idea what colour you're gonna do? I think the classic black with white binding looks badass!

LeviMan_2001 11-11-2012 06:55 AM

This color

with a brown burst going on tomorrow! Hopefully I don't muck it up haha. Neck will be natural color

LeviMan_2001 11-12-2012 03:51 AM

Well lookie what I finished today.

Also I'd recommend against valspar spray paint, it has a nasty tip that spits like no other.

LeviMan_2001 11-12-2012 03:52 AM