UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Bugeras Catching Fire? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1564494)

Alphaform 09-23-2012 07:05 PM

Bugeras Catching Fire?

I don't understand everyone saying about not to get a Bugera unless you have a fire extinguisher/you want your house to burn down etc.

Do Bugeras really catch on fire that easy? Or how did this start?

Can someone please explain

telemetal 09-23-2012 07:09 PM

The older models were quite buggy, and prone to problems. I don't know if one ever actually caught fire, but I assume so, as thats where the joke probably started. The newer ones are pretty tight in regards to quality control though.

NosralTserrof 09-23-2012 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemetal
The older models were quite buggy, and prone to problems. I don't know if one ever actually caught fire, but I assume so, as thats where the joke probably started. The newer ones are pretty tight in regards to quality control though.

Even so, the new ones suck.

Calling 311, calling 311....

Kevin Saale 09-23-2012 07:20 PM

They used a very janky spade connector for the hot tap from the power transformer that sometimes came loose and sometimes started smoking and burning. (I think it was the hot tap from the power transformer)

Either way, most of the fire extinguisher stuff is hyperbole. That doesn't mean that bugeras are reliable. They still suffer from cheap components and subpar quality control.

ikey_ 09-23-2012 07:36 PM

i agree they arent the highest quality. i mean, look where they are made and hoe much they cost.

but honestly the v22 i hate was quite a solid box for 350. i would buy one again if i needed a decent amp on the cheap.

i think their v series are the least problematic ones they make.

gregs1020 09-23-2012 10:10 PM

iamcline 09-24-2012 02:46 AM

Bugera amps are fine. They constantly get crapped on by people who more than likely have never owned one...all because a few people that did own one had some issues.

Bugera amps are safe and are fine.

Cathbard 09-24-2012 03:38 AM

I see, and the frequency that people come in here with broken Bugeras are all an illusion are they?

They're a cheap Behringer product. They are what they are. Don't expect high quality and you won't be disappointed. They sound good but don't expect them to last long bouncing around in the back of the truck when dragging it around to gigs.
And keep a fire extinguisher handy. ;)

Eppicurt 09-24-2012 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcline
Bugera amps are fine. They constantly get crapped on by people who more than likely have never owned one...all because a few people that did own one had some issues.

There's a reason why most of us haven't owned one. ;)

I've sold plenty back in the day when our store used to stock them, and we've tons come back faulty. It's just shoddy build quality that's no less than expected with Behringer.

ikey_ 09-24-2012 07:49 AM

i agree they have a tainted rep because of internet bashing. 10 people see 1 negative post, post "bugera catch fire" in forums 10 times, and that gets read by 1000 people and so on.

but yeah, their track record is less than stellar.

also, due to their price point and the fact that almost EVERY large music chain carried them in abundance, there are probably 100x as many bugeras out there than boutique amps.

so 1 guy having an issue with his bugera is hard to compare with there are 10000x more chances for one to fair in the real world.

_______

but a point against is still - yes. they are of lesser quality. anybody buying one should understand what they are getting at that price point.

_______

and in closing, my v22 with some tweaking / tube chances was one heck of an amp. you would be hard pressed to find an amp to match its tone under 500 bucks with comparable specs.....and i say under 500 bucks for an amp worth 350 new!

ProphetToJables 09-24-2012 07:58 AM

Taking into account the age of the average UG user, add in the fact they're going to be goaded into a valve amp (rightly so, they are superior to SS) and the fact that they don't usually have a large amount of money, then yeah it's not suprising we get so many 'faulty' Bugera products bouncing around this forum. yes they are made cheaply and probably are more prone to break than other (pricier) brands, but I've owned a couple of Bugera products for a few years now and they've been fine, just inevst in a spare set of valves (although most people change their valves when they get any new amp, regardless of brand). My V22 rocks the shit out of any other 200 amp.

tubetime86 09-24-2012 08:11 AM

I haven't seen too many options with the V series. It seems to be mostly the 5150/6505 copies that have the issues.

They absolutely do have problems though. Ikey your assertion about the number of them produced doesn't hold water. I've seen Thomann's rates for defective products (as in defective within the return period) and despite having a presumably smaller number shipped than Fender, Marshall or Peavey they have a higher failure rate than any of those three.

Its not atrocious, in comparison... But it is worse. :shrug:

Robbgnarly 09-24-2012 08:21 AM

I have had a 333 for a little over 2 yrs now. I have had a few small problems with it. But there have been several people in my area alone that have had 2-3 new bugeras and they were DOA from the factory.

yes for the price you'll be hard pressed to find a new amp with the sound and features that Bugeras have. But the reliability issues are a big reality. If you are a serious giging guitarist I would sugest having a back-up amp at all times(just incase).

I use a Marshall JCM2000 in my Prog-rock/metal band and I just had a catastrophic failure in the power section PCB, so don't think that big names mean no failure. My buddys JSX and Mesa Dual Recto both had to be waranty serviced in their 1st years. But this is actualy quite rare.

I think besides the reliability issues, the majority of Bugera dislikes are because of their blatant rip-off of well known very reliable amps (Peavey,Vox,Fender,Mesa,Ampeg).

gregs1020 09-24-2012 08:33 AM

the sHerberts are solid.

chatterbox272 09-24-2012 10:51 AM

once you get past the early phase where most of the manufacturing problems show up, they aren't too bad. A bit less sturdy than other brands, but they aren't as bad as they are made out to be. To me, I'd get a used bugera before I'd get a new one because it's past most of those early problems and if it's lasted someone 6 - 12 months until they got sick of having their amp bashed all the time it's probably going to be alright, and top for the price. Just remember that people who are unhappy with a product often come to the internet to bitch about it (even on multiple forums), it's a lot rarer for someone to go around saying how great a piece of gear is, because they're happy with it.

Dave_Mc 09-24-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Saale
They used a very janky spade connector for the hot tap from the power transformer that sometimes came loose and sometimes started smoking and burning. (I think it was the hot tap from the power transformer)

Either way, most of the fire extinguisher stuff is hyperbole. That doesn't mean that bugeras are reliable. They still suffer from cheap components and subpar quality control.

+1

there was some kind of a plastic clip they used to join two points in the circuit, which was very bad practice, according to people in the know. And the early ones actually did catch fire.

(as far as i'm aware)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
I see, and the frequency that people come in here with broken Bugeras are all an illusion are they?

They're a cheap Behringer product. They are what they are. Don't expect high quality and you won't be disappointed. They sound good but don't expect them to last long bouncing around in the back of the truck when dragging it around to gigs.
And keep a fire extinguisher handy. ;)

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcline

excellent logic there, old chap. Why would we own one if we think they suck? If we only listened to owners, we'd only have fanboy and disgruntled opinions. Which isn't terribly helpful.

Offworld92 09-24-2012 05:22 PM

I can't believe the amount of Bugera defenders around here. Shit's comedy.

inb4 311...

Arby911 09-24-2012 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
I can't believe the amount of Bugera defenders around here. Shit's comedy.

inb4 311...

Guess I'm a comedian then, because I think it's mostly bullshit.

I don't deny they have had problems, I just don't think it's that big of a deal. I'd buy one in a second if the price was right and I needed another amp.

The odds are in my favor.

Seems we have half a dozen threads a week here about 'broken amps', and most of 'em aren't Bugeras...

The numbers posted several times previously show that their failure rate isn't significantly greater than Peavey?

Things break, not a big deal... :shrug:

R45VT 09-24-2012 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
Guess I'm a comedian then, because I think it's mostly bullshit.

I don't deny they have had problems, I just don't think it's that big of a deal. I'd buy one in a second if the price was right and I needed another amp.

The odds are in my favor.

Seems we have half a dozen threads a week here about 'broken amps', and most of 'em aren't Bugeras...

The numbers posted several times previously show that their failure rate isn't significantly greater than Peavey?

Things break, not a big deal... :shrug:

I'm with you on this other than buying one.

Most of the Bugera DOA threads had been shipped to the person. There was one with the gain pot inop- most likely got hit during shipping as it felt loose like a mechanical problem.

Tubes get bumped and broken in shipping. Its a fact of life. Better to pull them out and box them separately.

gregs1020 09-24-2012 05:46 PM

for the money a used peavey gets my vote.

Sarah Palin and Larry King told me that.