UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   IRig? Worth it? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1564557)

CrippleBastards 09-24-2012 02:36 AM

IRig? Worth it?

I've heard some sounds off the amplitube app and it seems decent. Anyone tried the IRig and amplitube app together? is it good? worth it?

Viban 09-24-2012 03:28 AM

If you have a computer, why don't you just get reaper and an interface?

Eppicurt 09-24-2012 03:37 AM

IMO the Ampkit slays the Amplitube app, and I have both of the full versions. You get more with the Ampkit. Also get the Ampkit interface, the iRig doesn't work so well with it and feeds back horribly.

Eppicurt 09-24-2012 04:02 AM

^Reported.

lucky1978 09-24-2012 10:05 AM

I have it with the $5 GarageBand app. It works well enough but I never bother using mine.

zl1288 09-24-2012 10:42 AM

I use the GarageBand app most of the time, but that's because I use it to record riffs and ideas.

I have used ampkit as well, sounds pretty good and is perfect for practice or jamming with songs. I only tried the amplitube demo, but I was not impressed :shrug:

CrippleBastards 09-24-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viban
If you have a computer, why don't you just get reaper and an interface?

Reaper? what's that? and yeah I do have a computer and an interface. Which I use for Guitar Rig,a few Amplitube programs and Jamvox. But I want know if the apps are worth checking out since I just ordered an Ipod touch..

CrippleBastards 09-24-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppicurt
IMO the Ampkit slays the Amplitube app, and I have both of the full versions. You get more with the Ampkit. Also get the Ampkit interface, the iRig doesn't work so well with it and feeds back horribly.

Is the Ampkit interface really better? I checked Amazon and the IRig has a better reviewer score. 4 1/2 stars or so. and the Ampkit has 3 stars...

What style of music do you mostly play? and what do Amplitube and the Ampkit apps cost?..

Arby911 09-24-2012 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppicurt

I agree with this for the most part, I prefer Ampkit. (I also use Garageband, and it's very cool for some things...)

Usually when iRig is creating too much feedback it's because someone is using a mono mini connector rather than a stereo plug...or at least that's been the case with 3 different folks I know?

I finally found a decent use for my MG...I use iRig to a stereo-to-rca cable, then use an rca-to-1/4 adapter on one side of it into the 'CD' in on the MG. It works surprisingly well...

I bought 4 Ampkit interfaces to give away as Christmas presents, but haven't tried one myself. What do you see as the primary differences?

I use an iPhone and iRig when I travel and it's far easier than the 'travel' amp I used to carry with me...

Viban 09-24-2012 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrippleBastards
Reaper? what's that? and yeah I do have a computer and an interface. Which I use for Guitar Rig,a few Amplitube programs and Jamvox. But I want know if the apps are worth checking out since I just ordered an Ipod touch..

http://www.reaper.fm/index.php that is reaper, its pretty much the same idea but you can do more with it. I've pretty much abandoned my amps for now and just use this into my surround sound. Plus you can just keep hitting "still evaluating" in the dialogue box instead of paying for it, however with the quality they give and the freedom they give, I'd shell out the money for it.

Sid McCall 09-24-2012 04:21 PM

The Apogee Jam is FAR superior if you can afford it. Something to consider if you're going that route. It also works with a mac computer as an interface, which is a nice bonus. I use mine for a third input every once in a while for bass.

Eppicurt 09-24-2012 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
I agree with this for the most part, I prefer Ampkit. (I also use Garageband, and it's very cool for some things...)

Usually when iRig is creating too much feedback it's because someone is using a mono mini connector rather than a stereo plug...or at least that's been the case with 3 different folks I know?

I finally found a decent use for my MG...I use iRig to a stereo-to-rca cable, then use an rca-to-1/4 adapter on one side of it into the 'CD' in on the MG. It works surprisingly well...

I bought 4 Ampkit interfaces to give away as Christmas presents, but haven't tried one myself. What do you see as the primary differences?

I use an iPhone and iRig when I travel and it's far easier than the 'travel' amp I used to carry with me...

The only differences I've found is the fact that it won't feedback horribly and it uses batteries. I don't know about it being the type of plug, both the iRig and Ampkit use a TRRS jack. Unless there's something else I'm missing. I kind of wish I still had my Ampkit because I really dislike the Amplitube software.