UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Urgent: Psu problem!! (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1564966)

mikeyboosh 09-26-2012 02:48 PM

Urgent: Psu problem!!

I have a Digitech whammy WH1 power supply. I was advised it was 10 volt 1.3 amp psu but I cant find anything like this at maplins.

9 volt 1.3 amps doesnt work neither does 9 volt 1.7 amps. Light comes on but no sound. :shrug:

I have been using a 9 volt 2.8 amp psu which is intended for an Idj. It works using this but in a freaky sort of temperamental way and its an original pedal that I have on a permanent borrow.....sort of dont wanna blow it up.... :shrug:

Your help will be much appreciated Guitar Forum Gurus!

Peace x :peace:

Kevin Saale 09-26-2012 02:51 PM

Wait wait, you've just been plugging in random adapters? I'd be surprised if you didn't break it. I'd probably just use the proprietary adapter.

NeXEkho 09-26-2012 02:53 PM

Whoa whoa whoa plug nothing in until you know exactly what you're plugging into what.

According to its wikipedia page it requires 9V AC rather than the DC most Boss style power supplies put out, for what that's worth.

If you're lucky you haven't broken it.

mikeyboosh 09-26-2012 03:03 PM

It still works and I have been using AC adapters ;)

Just the original adapter apparently had a 10V Psu.....

The stress I have had with this piece of gear is nothing short of ridiculous.

I dont have the original adapter as my friend had lost if when he lent me this bad boy.

Now when I recorded my last album the producer said you could use a 9 volt but with more milliamps.

Trying to find the direct spec of the original adapter is proving difficult.... Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Arby911 09-26-2012 03:05 PM

As said it needs an AC power supply. IIRC, the DT was the first one that used a 9vdc PS.

Note that when we say AC, we mean AC OUT...

mikeyboosh 09-26-2012 03:10 PM

I know its an AC AC . Does not need an AC DC. So on etc...

Will it be safe putting 2.8 amps into it?

How many milliamps should it be usually?

This is the bit I really am querying.

Thanks for the interest everybody!

tubetime86 09-26-2012 03:16 PM

Contact digitech?

NeXEkho 09-26-2012 03:20 PM

The volts need to match.
The polarity of the connectors need to match on DC supplies. (outer/centre negative/positive)
The amps the PSU can supply need to exceed the pedal draws.
The kind of power (DC or AC) the PSU OUTPUTS needs to match what the pedal expects.

If all four conditions are met and it doesn't work, well, it doesn't work and you'll need to check all the hardware involved. (guitar, leads, amp, pedal, PSU)

Arby911 09-26-2012 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyboosh
I know its an AC AC . Does not need an AC DC. So on etc...

Will it be safe putting 2.8 amps into it?

How many milliamps should it be usually?

This is the bit I really am querying.

Thanks for the interest everybody!

It wouldn't matter if the PS could supply 2.8 million amps, the unit will only draw what it can use.

IIRC, the original PS was 9vac, 780ma so that or anything greater should work.

mikeyboosh 09-26-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:
It wouldn't matter if the PS could supply 2.8 million amps, the unit will only draw what it can use.

IIRC, the original PS was 9vac, 780ma so that or anything greater should work.

Best answer award goes this guy! Thank you.

Im gonna try more milliamps...... as its working with an ac ac 9 volt 2.8 amp idj psu with some minor freak outs but so far has not worked with the ac ac 9 volt 1.7amp. Strange strange strange. If it blows up I will blame no one but myself....If it works then thank you.

mikeyboosh 10-04-2012 03:21 PM

It works. Thanks!