UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gear Building & Customizing (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Twin Teal Teak Teles. (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1565079)

whoomit 09-27-2012 05:06 AM

Twin Teal Teak Teles.

Here's a couple, going to be very similar to my 100GBP budget build. These will however be for sale, including the same Wilkinson bridge, pickups, and tuners as used on my 100GBP build. Bone nuts will be included (although aluminium or brass can be made if preferred). The pickguards on these will not be leather this time, they'll be made of some laminated veneer that I'll put together. Price will be in the region of 450-550. One Tele will have a 3-piece neck, and the other a 5-piece. The 5-piece will be the slightly more expensive of the two.

Anyway, I'm going for a teal & chocolate brown combo here. I like it, hopefully you will too :p:

I know it seems like I've got a lot going on at the moment, but that's because I'm trying to make space in the workshop. Can't wait to have some cupboard space!

Firstly, a couple of lunch pics:

Those are both bacon, cheese, mayo and tomato ketchup sandwiches. And yes, that IS a strawberry cupcake :cool:

Nack blanks, ready for gluing once my veneer arrives:

A side view of the timber to give you a better idea of the colour:

Again I'm using the mystery wood that was used in the last Tele build, but this time I've swapped the maple for mahogany. The maple was slightly woodwormy if you remember. You'll be glad to know that it's still all reclaimed timber though :cool:

Here are the two body blanks all glued up:

Telecaster7 09-27-2012 05:10 AM

I approve of everything in this thread, and plan to stalk it just as much as I did the last one.

WantsLesPaul 09-27-2012 05:14 AM

This gun b god. Will stalk defs

More food than last time required.

Soccerguy 09-27-2012 06:44 AM

Ouuuuu, I'm excited.

guitar-tin 09-27-2012 07:19 AM

Go whoomit!

ProphetToJables 09-27-2012 07:40 AM

How are the Wilkinson pickups?

whoomit 10-02-2012 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetToJables
How are the Wilkinson pickups?

I really really like them. I'm using a Big Muff clone now with them. It never sounded any good with any of my other pickups, but I really like it with these. I'm not one to review pickups or anything though, 'cause I don't think I have enough experience with different ones :shrug:

Coach bolts removed:

Tops being flattened:

One of them still has quite a bit to go, as there was a fair curve on the stair tread which I couldn't seem to make up for by planing the edges at an angle.

Haven't been in the workshop for a good few days, it's been my birthday weekend :p: Hopefully get back out after work today though, providing I'm not back too late.

Edit: Whoops, forgot the important update:

Telecaster7 10-02-2012 09:17 AM

That was nearly a disaster. Good job on the guitars too, I guess.

guitar-tin 10-02-2012 09:35 PM

You should also explain a little about the food in addition...

Spaztikko 10-03-2012 08:59 AM

I think eventually you should just have a build thread for your lunches.

Who cares about guitars anyway, I want to see what other people are eating!

H4T3BR33D3R 10-03-2012 12:06 PM

Cool idea Whoomit. Can't wait to see this one finished.

Also +1 for lunch build thread.

whoomit 10-03-2012 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar-tin
You should also explain a little about the food in addition...

Good point. It was a chicken fricassee, a small cup of (extremely strong) tea, and a can of cheap energy juice. The fricassee may make another appearance within the next week.

Levelled the back of one Tele and found a nasty hole in the ply:

Started routing them both, you can see there's a step where I can't plunge any further:

LeviMan_2001 10-03-2012 06:53 PM

just pull the bit out of the collet a bit ;). actually don't, that could be dangerous ... not like i ever do that... :haha:

whoomit 10-04-2012 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviMan_2001
not like i ever do that... :haha:

Yeah, me neither... >_>

Telecaster7 10-04-2012 06:26 AM

What will you do about the chip out of the ply? Insane belly carve?

whoomit 10-04-2012 07:12 AM

Sanded the other body down to the 2nd ply, looks much better than the other one:

Finished the shape-routing, and both had a little spin on the bobbin sander:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecaster7
What will you do about the chip out of the ply? Insane belly carve?

To be honest, I hadn't even put any thought into it. That's a very viable option though, I'll probably do that.

WantsLesPaul 10-04-2012 10:02 AM

wryt slyer on it :headbang: :headbang:

whoomit 10-04-2012 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantsLesPaul
wryt slyer on it :headbang: :headbang:

gos witowt sayn :o

Pre-drilled for tomorrow's routing:

GABarrie 10-04-2012 06:39 PM

whoomit! message me! i'm in the market for a new tele and am pricing various things up

whoomit 10-05-2012 12:15 PM

Of course. the chicken fricassee makes another appearance:

Couldn't finish it though because I have such a sore throat :(

Routing finished:

Just a rough sketch of the inevitable 'Slayer' inlay: