UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Adding bottom end. (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1565349)

dimenzakk 09-28-2012 09:29 PM

Adding bottom end.

hey peeps.
i'm looking for a pedal or maybe eq options or something the like to add more bottom end to passages.
so imagine riffing along to death metal and as your outro you have this huge riff that has a half beat behind it and the crowd is going off.
you stomp on this pedal/eq/whatever and it doesnt boost the volume but it just makes it sound "bigger" and people go nuts......
good idea i thought.
anyone know my options?

ihartfood 09-28-2012 09:32 PM

I love your description, makes it sound bigger and people go nuts :haha:

It'd help to know what amp you're using. an MXR 10-band EQ would probably help, maybe a TS-9 even?

ikey_ 09-28-2012 09:34 PM

well. a bigger cab but thats bigger all the time not on a stomp. same with thicker strings.

EQ pedal will easily do it.

in terms of a boost, there are some pedals that add that charasteristic. one is the xotic EP booster. it makes just about anything sound thicker and more full. i even tried it on my friends high gain setup and he loved it.

adds a touch of bass too but its still good and tighter, not flubby. i know many boosts that are miidded out or flat, the EP has a unique EQ curve for a boost. adds a touch of compression too.

dimenzakk 09-28-2012 09:36 PM

ok.....
i run a Rivera KR7.
already have a maxon od808 AND a ts9 looped through a GCX.
maxon is always on and the ts9 boosts and smoothes out solos.
i HAD a mxr kk 10 band but i just diced it, didnt need it.
but i also have a G major2 which has onboard eq if i need it.....
so i was thinking of loading something into the gcx.
ive heard aphex Big Bottom or Aural xciter are good, but i havent heard these before or know a shop that stocks one i can check out.....
so i'm trying to pull collective knowledge :)
thanks

BobDetroit 09-28-2012 09:50 PM

I'd probably use one of the EQ to cut the bottom end and then kick it out when you want bigger. The crowd won't really notice the bottom was missing

kyle62 09-28-2012 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimenzakk
ok.....
i run a Rivera KR7.
already have a maxon od808 AND a ts9 looped through a GCX.
maxon is always on and the ts9 boosts and smoothes out solos.
i HAD a mxr kk 10 band but i just diced it, didnt need it.
but i also have a G major2 which has onboard eq if i need it.....
so i was thinking of loading something into the gcx.
ive heard aphex Big Bottom or Aural xciter are good, but i havent heard these before or know a shop that stocks one i can check out.....
so i'm trying to pull collective knowledge :)
thanks

What's your cab? Frankly that rig should be plenty ballsy enough! Maybe a Port City or Mesa oversized cab would help.

gumbilicious 09-29-2012 01:10 AM

i use a fuzz when i want to go over the top.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/...usic/play920680

dimenzakk 09-29-2012 04:52 AM

My cab is the Rivera seven cab.
Has k100s in it.

Cathbard 09-29-2012 05:06 AM

Compressor

jpatan 09-29-2012 05:59 AM

tweak the preset on the G Major 2. That parametric EQ is pretty nice, and you can footswitch it in to give you some extra "hugeness".

Do you have the PC editor for the GM2? Makes editing the para EQ WAY easier.

dimenzakk 09-29-2012 11:32 AM

No I don't.
Some stupid glitch won't let me computer run it.
Which present are you talking about?

dj1991 09-29-2012 11:46 AM

Swollen pickle with the sustain a tad bit low, loudness at unity, and the filter up just enough to thicken your sound, it won't sound like a fuzz so much as it will just fill in harmonics and add the bottom end you want.

KailM 09-29-2012 11:52 AM

What you need is a Boss HM-2. :fight:

Robbgnarly 09-29-2012 12:25 PM

I use a bad monkey to boost and help add bass back in. I have been wondering about the Ibanez big bottom boost though......

nido 09-29-2012 01:28 PM

Start out with a thinner sound as someone mentioned.
Maybe play the first part of riffage through a distortion pedal or something, this is only a example and play the fatter part on your amp set to maximum lard impact XD
I would imagine having a eq pedal to be helpful in this situation.
I don't have experience with the Rivera amps, but if it's not giving you the low end you want , there's always some other options too that don't require extra pedals to get there.

dimenzakk 09-29-2012 02:10 PM

Oh this KR7 has a MASSIVE bottom end. Almost too big!!!
And it's still tight and awesome.
But some passages just call for..... More
Which is why I'm asking. Thanks for all this though.
There's some great tips here. So far I'm using the eq.... Can't say I'm happy with it..... Yet.

Cathbard 09-29-2012 02:32 PM

Try writing a patch on the g-major that combines the parametric eq and the compressor.

jpatan 09-29-2012 02:56 PM

That^^^

stradivari310 09-29-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KailM
What you need is a Boss HM-2. :fight:

One of my favorite pedals, but probably not the best for what he's doing.

&baconstrips 09-29-2012 04:26 PM

Too lazy to read the above posts so I'm gonna suggest a couple cheap pedals...

EHX Mole or Devi Ever Dark Boost