UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Pit (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Private schools (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1565554)

fender_696 09-30-2012 12:08 PM

Private schools

Did you go to a private school? Do you agree with them in principle?

Would you send your kid to a private school if you could afford it and knew they would get a better education from it?

EDIT: I'm English but thought private school would be a better term in general. Just to reiterate:

Private school = school which you pay for.

State school = school which you don't.

slapsymcdougal 09-30-2012 12:10 PM

No; I have no fixed objection to their existing in parallel with state-funded schools; and if the only state-funded schools available were rubbish, then yes.

mtshark 09-30-2012 12:11 PM

No. Yes. If that's the school that would be best for my kid, sure.

Bushinarin 09-30-2012 12:11 PM

I don't see why I wouldn't. Often times they perform better, but they are awfully expensive. I certainly wouldn't work for one, because often times the pay is awful, but I'd consider sending my children there if the public schools in my area were terrible (they're pretty good though).

Telecaster7 09-30-2012 12:11 PM

I'd ask my kid.

Pagan_Poetry 09-30-2012 12:11 PM

I went to a private school for a few years.

I guess it depends on how my kid is. If he/she is a brat like I was, private school will shape him/her up. If he/she is highly intelligent and I feel that they aren't getting the most out of his/her current school, then I will send him/her to a private school. If he/she falls in between these two, then I won't because it's expensive as hell and if he/she is doing alright in a normal school then why bother?

stratman_13 09-30-2012 12:12 PM

No I didn't, and if I thought it would be best for my kid. But honestly I'd prefer a good public school over a private school. Most private school kids I've ever come into contact with have been kinda socially awkward.

StewieSwan 09-30-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushinarin
I don't see why I wouldn't. Often times they perform better, but they are awfully expensive. I certainly wouldn't work for one, because often times the pay is awful, but I'd consider sending my children there if the public schools in my area were terrible (they're pretty good though).

But do they really?

mtshark 09-30-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagan_Poetry

I guess it depends on how my kid is. If he/she is a brat like I was, private school will shape him/her up.

I've known some pretty big brats to come out of private schools. :shrug:

sonsie 09-30-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

I guess it depends on how my kid is. If he/she is a brat like I was, private school will shape him/her up. If he/she is highly intelligent and I feel that they aren't getting the most out of his/her current school, then I will send him/her to a private school. If he/she falls in between these two, then I won't because it's expensive as hell and if he/she is doing alright in a normal school then why bother?

I went to a private school as well and from the of the public schools around my area, I think you mean the public school or more so the kids would shape him up :p:

ErikLensherr 09-30-2012 12:15 PM

I went to private school, and I'd send my kid to private school too. The vast majority of pubic schools in New York are shitty.

Bushinarin 09-30-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
But do they really?

That's a valid point. The measure for how well a school is doing if with state standardized assessments, which private schools are absolved from using because they don't take public money.

However, I think the state standardized assessments are garbage in the first place, and that they shouldn't be used as a standalone measure.

Eastwinn 09-30-2012 12:16 PM

I went to a private school that specialized in learning disabilities. I'd send my kid there if I could. Definitely better than the public school in my area.

MakinLattes 09-30-2012 12:16 PM

If my kid wanted to go to one and I could afford it. I can't imagine why they would want to, though.

StewieSwan 09-30-2012 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushinarin
However, I think the state standardized assessments are garbage in the first place, and that they shouldn't be used as a standalone measure.

I don't think anyone here would disagree, except the really stupid ones.

Pagan_Poetry 09-30-2012 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtshark
I've known some pretty big brats to come out of private schools. :shrug:

That is possible, but there are more people that are shaped up in private schools than those that come out as bratty.
At my school, you'd be absolutely ridiculed. No going on school trips, your parents would all come for a meeting for the whole teaching staff to shit on their bad children, you'd have to sit in the class with pre kindergardeners like a fucking moron, you'd be suspended at the snap of ones fingers, everything was just on eggshells.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsie
I went to a private school as well and from the of the public schools around my area, I think you mean the public school or more so the kids would shape him up :p:

Weird, ok so this is pretty common maybe? :haha:

I don't know from my experience the brats of the school were fixed :shrug:

WCPhils 09-30-2012 12:30 PM

I would probably if I had the money to do so. I got accepted to one, but it was ridiculously expensive and my family didn't qualify for financial aid for some dumb ass reason. :shrug:

Public schools are pretty shit

CrimsonBizzare 09-30-2012 12:32 PM

I went to a state school, I'd send my kid to a public school (UK definition) but not any old private school - the ones in the area I grew up in were no better than the average state school and the kids were just more spoiled. If they could get into a good state grammar school, however - I'd prefer they went there.

crazysam23_Atax 09-30-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
But do they really?

SAT/ACT results usually show private school kids perform better. As do homeschooled kids. :shrug:

sonsie 09-30-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Weird, ok so this is pretty common maybe? :haha:

I don't know from my experience the brats of the school were fixed :shrug:

Well it was more the fact that if you were a 'brat' at a public school, you could get the shit kicked out of you. I dont have a lot of experience at public schools in my secondary years, but a girl I met at uni told me that her little brother insisted on going to a public school and ended up getting beat up every day for two weeks until moving to a private school. :shrug:

I went to one of the best private schools in my state, and it was pretty chill. As long as you weren't failing and bullying anybody you were good.