UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (
-   Musician Talk (
-   -   Need Help with Auto-muting (

zihark777 09-30-2012 01:26 PM

Need Help with Auto-muting
I have a project at school where I have to come up with a new invention. I was thinking of a cheap way for auto-muting but I don't know if it exists or not. Does anyone know if there is a cheap way to auto-mute?

EmilGD 09-30-2012 01:51 PM

Muting what?

zihark777 09-30-2012 01:57 PM

Sorry, it would be helpful if I clarified, wouldn't it? I'm trying to mute a guitar

Deathro 09-30-2012 02:12 PM

Turn your guitar volume down, make a volume pedal and take the volume and lower it, or stand by switch on your amp. I don't know what you're aiming for

EmilGD 09-30-2012 02:15 PM

If you mean muting the strings, it's common practice to use a hair band to mute open strings when recording leads etc.

zihark777 09-30-2012 02:19 PM

I'm using the new Moog E1 guitar as a starting point. It has an auto-mute setting but it costs $2000. I'm trying to find a cost-effective way to do the same thing.

mdc 09-30-2012 02:29 PM

Have you tried posting this in Guitar Gear and Accessories forum?

zihark777 09-30-2012 02:32 PM

Nice idea. I'll try that

boblittle 09-30-2012 02:38 PM

or the Customizing and Building...

nightwalker903 09-30-2012 02:46 PM

Are you meaning something similar to a kill switch because that essentially just mutes everything. Don't know what the difference would be if it was done automatically. Do you mean like an effects pedal? Because a killswitch pedal could be a good idea, quite a limited pedal which unless cheap wouldn't be worth the money but an alternative over a killswitch which could be knocked and mute your guitar mid song. Or turning volume down on a pickup and switching when wanting to mute because if using both or all pickups then that can't be done.

Any more info you can give us?

mdc 09-30-2012 03:17 PM

Yeah a killswitch is good shout. A friend of mine from college played a Fender Jaguar. Lot of fun.

HotspurJr 09-30-2012 03:40 PM

Killswtiches or noise gates.

A nose gate would probably be enough to mute the signal if you put your hand on the strings.

EmilGD 09-30-2012 04:03 PM

I don't think he means like a kill switch/noise gate. He mentioned the Moog E1, this is from the official website:

"MUTE MODE - removes energy from the strings, resulting in a variety of staccato articulations. The mute mode has never been heard on any other guitar; the Vo Power stops the strings with the same intensity that it sustains them. You feel the instrument transform in your hands.

91RG350 10-02-2012 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by EmilGD
If you mean muting the strings, it's common practice to use a hair band to mute open strings when recording leads etc.

Common among people who couldnt be arsed to play properly, yes.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:52 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.