UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Pit (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Band Equipment? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1565737)

BlackSnowsFall 10-01-2012 12:15 PM

Band Equipment?

i dont mean to sound like a newbie but when you see a band they usually have mountains of equipment behind them. i just got in a band but have nothing but an amp and guitar. what is all that gear and might i need it? :shrug:

Ometh 10-01-2012 12:16 PM

You don't need any gear at all, seriously. Just airguitar and jump off a building to your death.

Trowzaa 10-01-2012 12:17 PM

Venues usually provide the microphones and everything :shrug: All you need is a guitar and an amp.

damian_91 10-01-2012 12:17 PM

You need at least 4, maybe 9 Axe FXs.

BlackSnowsFall 10-01-2012 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometh
You don't need any gear at all, seriously. Just airguitar and jump off a building to your death.

thats a bit aggressive.. xD :peace:

theogonia777 10-01-2012 12:20 PM

What you really need is a new amp. Or two. Or three. Or ten! That might not even be enough. Also you probably need at least a half dozen more guitars. And at least three dozen pedals, probably a lot more, all set up on pedal boards so that no assembly is required. Multieffect units are no good since they are not tweakable enough. You need a wireless thing, a dozen rack mounted units, and a rug to put all of your pedals and stuff on.

You also need a guitar tech and various other personnel, but that's for another discussion.

Ometh 10-01-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSnowsFall
thats a bit aggressive.. xD :peace:

It's the only way you'll get famous in this city. Or we could arrange a deal if you please my trouser buddy, if you know what i mean ;) ;)

StewieSwan 10-01-2012 12:26 PM

Guitarists with a ton of gear are usually hiding their mediocre songs/playing. Don't sweat it.

slapsymcdougal 10-01-2012 12:27 PM

Well, behind all that stuff is this thing called a drummer. It looks a bit like a person, but it isn't really.

theogonia777 10-01-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
Guitarists with a ton of gear are usually hiding their mediocre songs/playing. Don't sweat it.

Guitarist that say things like this are usually hiding their jealously over their lack of really cool gear of their own.

StewieSwan 10-01-2012 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theogonia777
Guitarist that say things like this are usually hiding their jealously over their lack of really cool gear of their own.

Nah

BlackSnowsFall 10-01-2012 12:32 PM

true.. true.. :p

BlackSnowsFall 10-01-2012 12:35 PM

it just doesnt seem like just an amp would cut it. idk where to look as far as modules to link amps together or sound gates or whatever the **** :haha:

theogonia777 10-01-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:
it just doesnt seem like just an amp would cut it. idk where to look as far as modules to link amps together or sound gates or whatever the **** :haha:

If that's the case, you might as well just resign to the world of acoustic folk music.

Zaphod_Beeblebr 10-01-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

I played a gig on Friday and my tone was basically just me, my guitar and my amp :shrug: Only ran two pedals: tuner and volume boost for solos.

You use exactly as much gear as you need to in order to get the sounds you need. Big bands have big setups because they have to deal with power differences between countries and they like to emulate the tones they used in the studio so they have delays, reverbs, overdrives, phasers and switching systems to deal with all that. Once you factor all that in it's a lot but you don't need most of it to play a show if you like your tones simple.

BlackSnowsFall 10-01-2012 12:46 PM

nah **** that :) (referring to the folk music thing xD)

institutions 10-01-2012 12:48 PM

Someone sounds jealous that folk music is best music.

BlackSnowsFall 10-01-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I played a gig on Friday and my tone was basically just me, my guitar and my amp :shrug: Only ran two pedals: tuner and volume boost for solos.

You use exactly as much gear as you need to in order to get the sounds you need. Big bands have big setups because they have to deal with power differences between countries and they like to emulate the tones they used in the studio so they have delays, reverbs, overdrives, phasers and switching systems to deal with all that. Once you factor all that in it's a lot but you don't need most of it to play a show if you like your tones simple.

thanks bro that makes me feel a lot better :satan:

StewieSwan 10-01-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:
nah **** that :) (referring to the folk music thing xD)

How about fuck you

BlackSnowsFall 10-01-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by institutions
Someone sounds jealous that folk music is best music.

>.>