UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Pit (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   What if we banned bars? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1565783)

Eastwinn 10-01-2012 04:33 PM

What if we banned bars?

In the interest of reducing drunk driving related deaths.

Instead of sitting here thinking the idea through, I'm gonna let you guys do it for me (I have work to do before my next class).

Do you think drunk driving related deaths would decrease if we banned bars?
How could this backlash (creating more deaths, or something similar)?
What kind of less drastic solution would you propose?

In my five or ten minutes of thought, I haven't thought of a really good reason not to do it. I googled around but found no discussion on this. So it's up you, the collective mind of the Pit. Why is this a bad idea? Or is it a great one?

daytripper75 10-01-2012 04:34 PM

It's a bad idea, because bars are awesome.

Stop trying to steal my fun. :mad:

Obsceneairwaves 10-01-2012 04:35 PM

backlash would be organised crime.

People would set up illegal bars and the mod bosses would rule the scene. Plus, I love the social interactions of the pub, I'd be pissed right the **** off

digman50 10-01-2012 04:37 PM

Look up prohibition.

It didn't work.

pwrmax 10-01-2012 04:37 PM

Banning bars reduces drinking, kinda like how making weed illegal stops people from smoking it.

raoooos 10-01-2012 04:38 PM

I'd start my own personal bar in my house. Then when I ran out of booze, I'd drive to the shop and kill people.

due 07 10-01-2012 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwinn
In the interest of reducing drunk driving related deaths.

Instead of sitting here thinking the idea through, I'm gonna let you guys do it for me (I have work to do before my next class).

Do you think drunk driving related deaths would decrease if we banned bars?
How could this backlash (creating more deaths, or something similar)?
What kind of less drastic solution would you propose?

-I'm almost positive it would although I'm only basing that off of intuition.
-More illegal bars where things are bound to be more dangerous. Also probably more drinking at homes/friends' homes which would probably have its own consequences.
-idk really. Drunk drivers gonna drunk drive, but I guess better public transportation etc. would be a good choice. I don't think we should make the punitive measures for dui cases more drastic though.

Casketcreep 10-01-2012 04:38 PM

I'd probably set fire to something.

Less drastic solution you say? How about properly educating people on responsible drinking?

guns for hire 10-01-2012 04:39 PM

Bars don't inherently encourage drinking and driving. The idiots that drink and drive considerably over the legal limit would likely find other places to drink and continue to drive to and from those locations, be it a friend's house or whatever. Any combination of immediately voiding a driving license, suspending privileges for a year, impounding their vehicle, and forcing them to retake any licensing program might help some.

It'd be easier to just shoot them.

LeakyFlask 10-01-2012 04:39 PM

Most of the people I'd see as potential drunk drivers around where I live probably wouldn't be affected that much by a bar/pub/club ban since they get drunk at each others homes anyways. Why would you ban bars and not just alcohol? That's a bit like banning syringes but not heroin. :shrug:

captaincrunk 10-01-2012 04:41 PM

if you got bars banned, i'd invite everyone to your house to get smashed and break things

CrAzY-RiLeY 10-01-2012 04:43 PM

you think that gives drunk driving?

you can buy beers in gas stations, now thats stupid.

Amuro Jay 10-01-2012 04:43 PM

Banning bars or banning drinking entirely? Banning bars would just mean more people using their houses for social drinking locations, you'd still have people driving to and from those locations. However, hammered people would have a place to stay.

Pagan_Poetry 10-01-2012 04:44 PM

Speakeasys will be back!

captaincrunk 10-01-2012 04:44 PM

I'm not sure drunk driving is even that big of a problem, all things considered. People die from lots of things.

adamgur96 10-01-2012 04:48 PM

If you ban alcohol your just gonna create another black market, and gangs are gonna start selling alcohol illegally and shooting each other over it just like they do with drugs.

That's why we should legalize drugs, to end those black markets, and then treat drugs like we treat alcohol. Put a age limit, no using it and driving, etc.

And don't tell me it's gonna make people do crack or heroin and shit. If heroing was legalized today, would you start doing heroin? I wouldn't, as most people wouldn't.
If someone wants to do drugs he'll do it, regardless if it's legal or not.

Banning alcohol is stupid.

Ed Hunter 10-01-2012 04:49 PM

Given that my livelihood is the production of alcohol, why don't you go and **** yourself TS? The amount of alcohol duty we pays a vast amount for the authorities to deal with the relatively minor amount of shit that police/paramedics deal with. Again, **** off, it's bloody difficult to find a job thesedays.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention it's a ****ing multi-billion pound industry in this country so it benefits loads of shit through its profitability alone. Once more, go **** yourself TS.

Weaponized 10-01-2012 04:49 PM

Sounds like a good idea to me!

pwrmax 10-01-2012 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamgur96
If you ban alcohol your just gonna create another black market, and gangs are gonna start selling alcohol illegally and shooting each other over it just like they do with drugs.

That's why we should legalize drugs, to end those black markets, and then treat drugs like we treat alcohol. Put a age limit, no using it and driving, etc.

And don't tell me it's gonna make people do crack or heroin and shit. If heroing was legalized today, would you start doing heroin? I wouldn't, as most people wouldn't.
If someone wants to do drugs he'll do it, regardless if it's legal or not.

Banning alcohol is stupid.

This

Bob_Sacamano 10-01-2012 04:52 PM

Then a shit ton of jobs would be lost and those people would probably drink heavily as a result.