UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Pit (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Why am I lacking motivation? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1565932)

skylerjames13 10-02-2012 12:58 PM

Why am I lacking motivation?

Alright, so it's my last year of high school. And if I'm gonna go to Uni I'm really gonna have to make sure I do good this year eh? I know that and I know that I will have to try really hard because even though I do really good in school, it's my lack of motivation/laziness that holds me back. I can mostly do all of the work really easily, but I never hand in homework (well, occasionally) or even do my homework because when I'm at home I can never concentrate on the school work.

So basically if I wasn't lazy and I had motivation, I'd be able to pull off this year with honours (which is an above 80% average for the year) like I did last year.

So all I have to do is do the homework eh? Problem is, I can never get around to doing it because I am too lazy.

How do I stop being so lazy?

I want to stop being so lazy but I'm too lazy to get started on that.

BurningStarlV 10-02-2012 01:01 PM

Senior slide. I think it happens to everyone.

ErikLensherr 10-02-2012 01:04 PM

You've just gotta do it. Once you've started doing it, you'll think to yourself this is easy, I should've started doing it before. Before you know it, it'll be done. So just do it.

adamgur96 10-02-2012 01:04 PM

Stab youself in the balls everytime you act lazy

raoooos 10-02-2012 01:05 PM

I'd help, but I'm lazy

captaincrunk 10-02-2012 01:07 PM

do you have any mental conditions?

Neo Evil11 10-02-2012 01:07 PM

I have this time slot every day where I am just completely relaxed and can focus a lot. Usually it's between 23:00-24:00. If you have the same just work in that time slot. It's most efficient and least boring.

JackWhiteIsButts 10-02-2012 01:08 PM

Because it is difficult to refrain indulging in immediate, tangible desires in order to achieve a larger but more abstract goal down the line. Perhaps it would be helpful if you established a set of incremental goals for yourself leading up to whatever it is you want to do (e.g. graduating with honors).

skylerjames13 10-02-2012 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincrunk
do you have any mental conditions?

I'm diagnosed with ADD and I take Adderall for it.

I can't function academically or socially without it.

I may have some underlying conditions, but besides ADD I'm not diagnosed with anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Evil11
I have this time slot every day where I am just completely relaxed and can focus a lot. Usually it's between 23:00-24:00. If you have the same just work in that time slot. It's most efficient and least boring.

I usually get those on random days where I am super concentrated and focus very well. But the only time I can focus really well is when I'm at school which is a problem because even though I do all my work there, I have to do my homework at home. And I can't ever do my work at home.

I'm gonna try and hopefully set up a time where I do my work at home.

Thrashtastic15 10-02-2012 01:11 PM

Just fucking do it. Stop being pathetic. If you want a certain mark, and you know you can get it if you do just a tiny bit of work, either do the work you already know you need to do or stop whining about it and accept your decision and the consequences of doing so. This isn't threadworthy in the slightest, it's about as black and white as it can get.

skylerjames13 10-02-2012 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashtastic15
Just fucking do it. Stop being pathetic. If you want a certain mark, and you know you can get it if you do just a tiny bit of work, either do the work you already know you need to do or stop whining about it and accept your decision and the consequences of doing so. This isn't threadworthy in the slightest, it's about as black and white as it can get.

Oh hai Thrash :hug:

I think I genuinely missed your hate on me :p:

:heart:

Thrashtastic15 10-02-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylerjames13
Oh hai Thrash :hug:

I think I genuinely missed your hate on me :p:

:heart:

It's not exclusive to you. Don't flatter yourself kid. I was the same way until grade 12. There isn't some magic spell we can tell you to cast and suddenly you will do your work. Just get some damn self-control and discipline and do your damn work. I went from a C student to a 98 average, all I did was do the work that was assigned to me. Just do it stupid, it determines significant aspects of your life.

skylerjames13 10-02-2012 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashtastic15
It's not exclusive to you. Don't flatter yourself kid. I was the same way until grade 12. There isn't some magic spell we can tell you to cast and suddenly you will do your work. Just get some damn self-control and discipline and do your damn work. I went from a C student to a 98 average, all I did was do the work that was assigned to me. Just do it stupid, it determines significant aspects of your life.

I know it's not exclusive, but I still love it :heart:

People work better together and if I can get some encouragement/motivation/help/tips/advice/whatever from the Pit then it's better than nothing. The people on this forum can be awesome and be a great help sometimes.

I went from having all courses in the below 50% range, up to 80% + in my grade 10 year. I know I can do the shit if I want to. It's just the motivation I lack. I don't have much support and people like approval and support, so that's why I'm coming here.

Thrashtastic15 10-02-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

People work better together and if I can get some encouragement/motivation/help/tips/advice/whatever from the Pit then it's better than nothing. The people on this forum can be awesome and be a great help sometimes.

I went from having all courses in the below 50% range, up to 80% + in my grade 10 year. I know I can do the shit if I want to. It's just the motivation I lack. I don't have much support and people like approval and support, so that's why I'm coming here.

What do you want me to do, hold your damn hand? Put my hand on one spot of the monitor and you do the same on your monitor and we have some pseudo-long distance gay moment and then suddenly you're going to have the motivation to do your work? Stop making threads in the pit and just go do your fucking work. :p:

PS the best way to stop procrastinating is to just not let yourself do it at all if you have an issue with it. Just do it immediately and get it over with. Do it consistently enough and it'll develop into a routine and you'll be good to go.

sashki 10-02-2012 01:31 PM

I have the same problem. I went from an 85% average to 56% in 2 years.
Let me serve as the example of what not to do.

Neo Evil11 10-02-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

If you want to do a subject you like at the Uni, you'd better at least do well fr the important classes mate.

sashki 10-02-2012 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Evil11
If you want to do a subject you like at the Uni, you'd better at least do well fr the important classes mate.

That depends on what uni you go to.

Come to Nottingham. Low entry requirements and lenient as fuck.

Darth_Pietrus 10-02-2012 01:42 PM

Dude, I was EXACTLY like you.
For me it was the same each year. In the beginning of the year (the first semester) I would do super well and always had the highest or second highest grade of the whole class. After a long vacation I am fully energized and ready to go you see? But after the first semester I would just get sooo lazy and by the end of the year I would make it but with very average or under average grades.
My last year in Highschool was the worst. I did graduate though ^^ just.. :P
I know this isnt very satisfying advice (people kept telling me at the time and I was just like yeah yeah whatever lol) but its really just about persuading yourself. Think about all of the laughs and glory you will have after you graduate. You will be living the college life (which is way better than highschool) and will probably get a great job afterwards. That's what kept me going the last semester and through the final exams (man that was hell).
Now I'm in college and the motivation still isnt really there for me xD , but if you choose a subject that you're very interested in, you will be happy and motivated and will succeed.
This behaviour of yours is pretty normal so dont worry too much. (But just enough xD ) Your brain only fully develops at the age of 21 (you are younger right?). Once you are 21 you will be able to concentrate more, be less lazy, and will have better planning skills.
Hope this helps a bit :P
Sorry for the length xD

captaincrunk 10-02-2012 01:54 PM

Quote:
I'm diagnosed with ADD and I take Adderall for it.

I can't function academically or socially without it.

I may have some underlying conditions, but besides ADD I'm not diagnosed with anything.

I figured as much. I am as well, and have taken the time to learn a lot about it. Our reward centers are a little under/differently developed. In time they catch up but "laziness" is extremely common. It's tough for people like us to stay motivated (compared to others) for that reason. Adderall doesn't really directly address this problem, and not much can for that matter. You just need to start setting shorter goals and get addicted to completing them.

EDIT: Promise this isn't a load of shit or pseudoscience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Pietrus
This behaviour of yours is pretty normal so dont worry too much. (But just enough xD ) Your brain only fully develops at the age of 21 (you are younger right?). Once you are 21 you will be able to concentrate more, be less lazy, and will have better planning skills.

with ADHD (ADD is adhd anyway now) that can take longer

jugglingfreak 10-02-2012 02:54 PM

Do all of your homework in homeroom.. That's what I did, had 93% avg in highschool..