UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electric Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Is this a good deal? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1566007)

Austin174 10-02-2012 09:41 PM

Is this a good deal?

I been loking at getting a 7 string here lately, and I happen to find a Ibanez RG7321 for $270 local to me. It's a little over a month old, in like new condition, and come's with a hard case as well.

Should I jump on this for my first 7 string. I'm gonna swap out the pup's an etc later on when i have more cash.

Zaphod_Beeblebr 10-03-2012 11:02 AM

I'd say that was pretty good, it's like paying half the new price for one and $45 for a hard case. You may be able to haggle it down a little more but I wouldn't push your luck too much as long as it's legit.

Austin174 10-03-2012 01:11 PM

Thank's man. I just wanted to make sure before I go ahead an buy it.

jeleopard 10-03-2012 01:13 PM

Yes it's good. Just be ready to replace the pickups :P

W4RP1G 10-03-2012 01:19 PM

That price isn't very good, but if you can get it for about $200, then that would be decent. I personally wouldn't buy it, but I'd be willing to spend a little more to get a better 7 string.

FenrirFangs 10-03-2012 02:30 PM

You could probably do better. By probably, I mean definitely. Hold off and keep an eye open. I've seen these go for under $200 on my local CL.

Austin174 10-03-2012 06:27 PM

Would the Ibanez RGA7 be a better choice over the 7321? I havent looked into many other 7 string's in the $300-$600 range, so I'm not really sure what all my option's are.

I have EMG's in my Hellraiser so I want passivie's in the 7 string, and a thin neck which is why I was looking at Ibanez.

W4RP1G 10-03-2012 07:23 PM

Well, you can get a pretty sweet Ibanez RG7620 for around $500 on eBay. They usually come with Dimarzio pickups and I believe a Lo-Pro 7 or some other Gotoh made trem. Or you can try to find an RG7621 if you want a hardtail. I've seen them on my local CL before, but it's not very common.

Rondomusic has a good selection of 7 strings as well, but I'm not sure how many of them have passive pickups. And I would still try to get a used RG7620/1 if it were me.

Austin174 10-03-2012 11:53 PM

Ok well maybe this help me find the right 7 string. Here is what I'm wanting in a 7 string in my price range.

1. Set-Neck( never have a bolt on so dont know if the difference is huge or not.
2. Passive or Active PU's( dosent really matter gonna be switching out for the Liqued fire/ Crunch lab PU's)
3. Hardtail( I have no use for a trem)
4. Mahogany body(prefer) if not that's fine.
5. 24 fret's
6.Thin neck if possible, if not that's fine my Schecter has a thick neck but not to bad.

W4RP1G 10-04-2012 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin174
1. Set-Neck( never have a bolt on so dont know if the difference is huge or not.

The Ibanez AANJ(all access neck joint) is easily as effective for high fret access as a set-neck. The difference in sustain is pretty much negligible, but there was a study done once that suggests a bolt-on will have more sustain, I think due to the lack of glue or something.
Quote:
2. Passive or Active PU's( dosent really matter gonna be switching out for the Liqued fire/ Crunch lab PU's)

Then you must consider that you can sell the pickups that come in the guitar to fund the new ones. Might be something to consider as well, who knows?
Quote:
3. Hardtail( I have no use for a trem)

They exist in many forms. Do you want a low profile, fender-like hardtail, or a tune-o-matic? Does it even matter?
Quote:
4. Mahogany body(prefer) if not that's fine.

Ok, now one thing to consider that if you are using the John Petrucci sig pickups, he uses a basswood body guitar(I believe), so his pickups will probably sound different in mahogany. Might sound better, might sound worse. I had some Dimarzio Mo' Joe/Paf Joe pickups(Satriani sigs) in a Mahogany guitar and they sounded awful(Satriani uses basswood). I put them in a Basswood RG and they sounded WAY better. Just something to consider.
Quote:
5. 24 fret's

Shouldn't be a problem.
Quote:
6.Thin neck if possible, if not that's fine my Schecter has a thick neck but not to bad.

I want to say that a Schecter 7 string, except for maybe the signature models, will have an even thicker neck, but I can't remember. Definitely try to play one and see how they feel early on.

Basically, an RG7621 would be my choice and fits the criteria(except for a mahogany body). The RGA7 does meet all of the criteria, though it's Indonesian.

Also, I know the EMG 707s are larger than regular pickups, but I don't know by how much(I'm assuming the RGA7 actives are the same size). I can't say whether or not passives would look odd in an active route.

Austin174 10-04-2012 04:36 PM

I just went with the RG7321. Now the thing that get's me is how many version's of this guitar is there. I seen one with HSH setup, and one with a HH setup. Also seen one which looked like a rosewood fretboard and one with a different colored fretboard.