UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Bass Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   NED! (Not Flanders, New Everything Day!) (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1566017)

Sudaka 10-02-2012 10:51 PM

NED! (Not Flanders, New Everything Day!)

Well, hi Bass Forum. Today, is a great day. I have some new pieces of equipment, and here I am to share it with you! Let's start with somthing simple, my Tech 21

VT Bass Pedal. Great acquisition. It made my Jazz Bass sound great, added a little punch, and also some dirt. When the character knob goes past the 12 o'clock mark, it start adding distortion, and ends somewhat near a fuzz when cranked. I like the extra tonal posibilities it provides, and you can get quite a few tones out of it. It emulates an ampeg head, but also can give you something different than that. It adds come clic to your sound, makes it deeper and you can have that with or almost without any dirt. As i said, pretty versatile, and adds color to you tone. Definetly a keeper for life.

Next!

New Bass! I traded my VM Jazz for this one:

I was in search for a fiver in which i found myself comfortable, and this Cort T75 was the one. It has a completely different tone comparing it with the VM Jazz, I still like both. This one can give you a great variation of tones, particularly coming from it's 3 band EQ, and has nice pickups (cheaper EMGs). The preamp is also a budget EMG one, but does the job pretty fine. I don't like the tuners, which don't seem sturdy enough, nor the nut, and this is not only aesthetic, tha bass needs some fine tuning from one day to the other. But, the most important thing: The neck. Just so comfortable, here's a pic of it

There you can see how thin and flat it is. It's also pretty flat on the fretboard, and the best thing is that string spacing is wide enough for me (unlike Ibanez and some Spector basses i tried). I'm still trying to figure out how to slap, because there ain't much room for the popping fingers between the 24 frets neck and the soapbar pups. Still, i'll get it down. It's such a pleasure to play. Action is lower than hte jazz's, and it doesn't buzz, luckily. This is the main reason i bought this one, because of it's comfotability (and the sound that i enjoy).

And finally, a new cab!

Gallien Krueger MBE 212 (4 Ohms version) I traded it one on one for my GK 410MBX and i couldn't be happier. It's smaller, a lot lighter (15KG, 34 lbs.) and packs a severe punch to teh chest. It sounds similar than the MBX but louder (suppose it's the 4 ohms of this one against the 8 ohms of the other one), puchier, and more aggresive. It's just a great pleasure to put my Hartke to good use with this one. It's definetly my favorite piece of equipment right now, and the only thing i would like is that i came in 8 ohms so i could get a second one! However, this was the main reason i could do this business. The guy who exchanged my cab for his was searching an 8 ohm 410 so he could mathc it with another cab (probably a 115).
It's a highly recommendable cab. Just so pleased with it!

Anyways, I truly didn't acquire all of this in one day, but i summed it up on this thread. I hope you liked it. Feel free to ask about anything!

Sudaka 10-02-2012 11:06 PM

Some pics of me posing :p:

Figuring how to slap :D

Lol high fretting face!

Ippon 10-02-2012 11:20 PM

Nice review. Congrats!

:cheers:

Rawshik 10-02-2012 11:22 PM

Happy Ned! Those are all pretty sweet pieces of gear.

dark Mass 10-02-2012 11:42 PM

HNED to you!

I wish I had the money to spend on gear.:(

I just spent it all on a new car and a whole bunch replacement parts for it.

consecutive e 10-03-2012 05:28 AM

Overhauling is awesome. HNED.
Get yourself some PVC and dowel and brace the GK cab. It will make you happy(er).

Sudaka 10-03-2012 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by consecutive e
Overhauling is awesome. HNED.
Get yourself some PVC and dowel and brace the GK cab. It will make you happy(er).

What do you mean by that? I couldn't understand what you meant by that. Are talking about "painting" the cab with PVC??

anarkee 10-03-2012 09:32 AM

Congrats Sudaka--nice, nice gear!

shmbluh12 10-03-2012 09:35 AM

Happy NED.
(Though being Dutch I'd like to point out Flanders isn't NED :p )

consecutive e 10-03-2012 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudaka
What do you mean by that? I couldn't understand what you meant by that. Are talking about "painting" the cab with PVC??

:haha: PVC is glue man.
Use the dowel to brace the inside of the cab, glue it in with PVC. There's quite a few threads on TalkBass of people doing it, there's a great one with pics on BassChat but I can't find it for the life of me.
If you open up the GK cab you'll notice it's pretty much hollow inside, bracing will help keep things a bit more tight and a bit less boomy. You can damp it too, but you may lose a bit of bass.

Tostitos 10-03-2012 12:14 PM

HNED! That's a nice set up you have there.

Are you ready to change out those HZ's yet? :p:

Sudaka 10-03-2012 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tostitos
HNED! That's a nice set up you have there.

Are you ready to change out those HZ's yet? :p:

Funny enough, the pickups are fine, but i'm thinking of upgradeing them. If so, shoulnd't i upgrade the preamp first? anyways, then only thing that bothers me are the tuners, so They might get replaced soon enough...

Sid McCall 10-03-2012 01:36 PM

Sweet, HNED!

You should try running the VT Bass into your power amp on the Hartke, bypassing the amp's preamp. I've done that a bunch of times with my Hartke and a Sansamp, and it sounded fantastic. Just plug into the effects return and hit the button that bypasses the pre. It'll sound awesome!

Tostitos 10-03-2012 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudaka
Funny enough, the pickups are fine, but i'm thinking of upgradeing them. If so, shoulnd't i upgrade the preamp first? anyways, then only thing that bothers me are the tuners, so They might get replaced soon enough...

You could upgrade either one, or both if you want. The pickups are workable, they get a lot of flack for being bland so to speak, so they're often replaced. If you're unhappy with the preamp, I'd just upgrade them both.

Sudaka 10-03-2012 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tostitos
You could upgrade either one, or both if you want. The pickups are workable, they get a lot of flack for being bland so to speak, so they're often replaced. If you're unhappy with the preamp, I'd just upgrade them both.

I can't really be unhappy with the preamp, since it's the only one i've ever owned! Plus, for me, it's ok. It gives me a lot of tonal posibilities (maybe even too much possibilities... sometimes i start fiddling with it like twenty minutes and end studying like ten minutes :p: ) So i may only upgrade the pups then (and tuners).

And thanks Sid McCall, thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try the next time!