UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Pit (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Preaching on crowded subway cars: agree disagree or indifferent? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1566018)

ErikLensherr 10-02-2012 10:57 PM

Preaching on crowded subway cars: agree disagree or indifferent?

This morning an old man came onto the crowded subway car and started preaching Jesus. Not unusual, but this time this woman asked him to stop saying it isn't right that he's preaching to what's essentially a captive audience. People are going to work, school, etc., they can't move, it's kind of annoying.

Now you also have musicians who come in and play for money, but their sets are usually a few minutes, whereas this old man was jabbering for a solid 15-20. The more I think about it, subway preachers really are a nuisance. The worst I can think of was a few weeks back where this guy was literally bellowing and screaming to repent and it actually disturbed my reading. Really, **** off. It's the equivalent of proselytizing in a crowded elevator, if the elevator ride was 40 minutes long.

So this woman made me see something in a new light.

Your thoughts?

captaincrunk 10-02-2012 11:01 PM

I argue with people like that, and make them look like the fools they are.

WCPhils 10-02-2012 11:02 PM

I couldn't care less what they are preaching, they're all annoying.

jthm_guitarist 10-02-2012 11:02 PM

I agree. If someone's gonna jabber on for an extended amount of time then it's fine to ask them to shut up.

Bob_Sacamano 10-02-2012 11:04 PM

I never witnessed anything like that as I'm not cityfolk but it sounds awful.

devourke 10-02-2012 11:08 PM

I don't really care what people talk about if they're just talking. If someone's gonna be yelling for 20 straight minutes it might get a tad annoying though.

Most_Triumphant 10-02-2012 11:10 PM

I agree because they do have a right, it is pretty annoying. I am a pretty knowledgeable Christian, and often times they preach flawed messages. I correct these mistakes (in front of everyone), and they look like an idiot afterwards. I have never seen the same subway preacher on my train twice. The other regulars love me for it.

captaincrunk 10-02-2012 11:10 PM

I vote disagree because I think I disagree with it being allowed, not because I disagree with your assessment

devourke 10-02-2012 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincrunk
I vote disagree because I think I disagree with it being allowed, not because I disagree with your assessment

I always thought you were one of them liberal freedom of speech types, crunk.

cho0onger 10-02-2012 11:17 PM

Does "I agree" mean I agree with their right to preach, or that I agree that they are a nuisance?

darkstar2466 10-02-2012 11:17 PM

I'd start with "god is a lie and jesus never existed."

due 07 10-02-2012 11:18 PM

hmm good point. you should just remind him that x was gay married to his bro or smth

Deadlock Riff 10-02-2012 11:22 PM

I answered wrong, I meant to select I agree.

Wait, am I agreeing with TS (which i agree with)
or agreeing with the preachers annoyance? (which i disagreewith?)

ErikLensherr 10-02-2012 11:25 PM

Lol. I agree means I agree that they're annoying.

Telecaster7 10-02-2012 11:26 PM

I don't care if people are just preaching at talking volume, because lots of people talk on the train. but if they're yelling and screaming and targeting people then it's pretty annoying.

However, let me ask you a follow-up question; if someone came onto your train and started loudly preaching for atheism, saying how god (any god) never existed and about how religious people need to realise their stupidity, would you say something, or would you object to someone else saying something?

Horsedick.MPEG 10-02-2012 11:29 PM

I don't care what you belief is, yelling at people for a good 15-20 mins is annoying.

ErikLensherr 10-02-2012 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecaster7
I don't care if people are just preaching at talking volume, because lots of people talk on the train. but if they're yelling and screaming and targeting people then it's pretty annoying.

However, let me ask you a follow-up question; if someone came onto your train and started loudly preaching for atheism, saying how god (any god) never existed and about how religious people need to realise their stupidity, would you say something, or would you object to someone else saying something?

I'd find that just as irritating, it's a bad context to preach anything especially in the morning.

captaincrunk 10-02-2012 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devourke
I always thought you were one of them liberal freedom of speech types, crunk.

there's more than one way to not allow something. if I'm the only person on the train who doesn't want to hear it, I still won't allow it to be heard (while I'm on the train). The guy should stop if asked by anyone, not just the train authorities

troyofyort 10-02-2012 11:38 PM

Its annoying but as long as they aren't yelling, but using calm, talking tones without being a dick/offensive to anyone who am I to stop them. Sure people can ask him to stop on the same principle :shrug:

entity0009 10-02-2012 11:40 PM

You're meant to captivate your audience, not hold them captive.