UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Pit (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   I really need some advice.. (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1566024)

EVHtremontiSRV 10-02-2012 11:52 PM

I really need some advice..

So heres my dilemma, I am 20 yrs old, have never even been in a band, and I've never played a show. Im starting to have doubts that it is too late for me to chase a dream to play music. I have a lot of people telling me its not realistic and its just a fantasy that will fade away eventually. So needless to say my confidence level is pretty low but I still truly believe that music is my true calling. So my question is, having never even played a show of any kind and not even having any leads to a potential band, am I too late? I see all these people who are 14, 15, and 16 and have already played more shows and have more success than I could even fathom. Whats the deal? Should I give up or just keep chasing?

entity0009 10-02-2012 11:55 PM

It's not like bands will ask to see a resume or something before you join them, it's never too late. For a while I played in a band with a bunch of 40-50 year olds and they were gigging regularly and had an album released :shrug:

devourke 10-02-2012 11:56 PM

Shucks grandpa, you might as well give up now and retire to golden acres rest home. I didn't even know people as old as you could use computers.

ErikLensherr 10-02-2012 11:57 PM

That's not too late. If it was I'd tell you because I enjoy knocking people's dreams on the internet but that's not too late at all. Why haven't you joined a band though if it's your dream?

entity0009 10-02-2012 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devourke
Shucks grandpa, you might as well give up now and retire to golden acres rest home. I didn't even know people as old as you could use computers.

I'm 21 and I have to type all my posts out on a typewriter. Then my grandson types them up on the computer.

captaincrunk 10-03-2012 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVHtremontiSRV
So heres my dilemma, I am 20 yrs old, have never even been in a band, and I've never played a show. Im starting to have doubts that it is too late for me to chase a dream to play music. I have a lot of people telling me its not realistic and its just a fantasy that will fade away eventually. So needless to say my confidence level is pretty low but I still truly believe that music is my true calling. So my question is, having never even played a show of any kind and not even having any leads to a potential band, am I too late? I see all these people who are 14, 15, and 16 and have already played more shows and have more success than I could even fathom. Whats the deal? Should I give up or just keep chasing?

you're stressing too much. if you don't stop worrying about it you won't enjoy it even if it works out. But to answer your question no one cares or even needs to know how old you are. Those young kids are gimmicks, mostly. "Oh look, a child with an instrument!"

RRRone 10-03-2012 12:13 AM

Go play music at some open mics. Its never too late. Yeah sure it might be unrealistic if you might dream of being a big "rockstar" or something, but playing music is realistic and really all you need for it is something good to play and some people who are willing to listen to it. Pretty realistic if you ask me. It could be a family gathering or small get together with friends.

If you can't find a band, go solo like so many other people out there. Make your music and share it on the Internet. There will eventually be many people who would be interested in listening to you if you put your heart into it.

Jon777 10-03-2012 12:15 AM

It's never too late. Just make an active effort to find other musicians to play with. Something will happen eventually.

whywefight 10-03-2012 12:21 AM

Don't give up. Definitely, keep trying to make music. The world will thank you eventually.

But honestly, remember that if you actually are doing this, put your full effort into it. Make sure to practice guit as much as possible, right songs, play to a metronome, and search for bands to play in actively. It doesn't need to feel like a job, but it is one.

vIsIbleNoIsE 10-03-2012 12:40 AM

if you chase it like you mean it, it's never too late.

EVHtremontiSRV 10-03-2012 12:43 AM

thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it. This is one reason I love this site. musicians look out for their own kind. (most of them lol). But anyways another aspect is im having problems putting together a band. I almost had something together over the summer but it fizzled out becuz the other guys werent as serious about it as I was and im not really friends with many other people that are into the same music I am, let alone PLAYING in a band with the same type of music. any tips to finding people that want to make music? I go to NKU so ive thought about taking some music classes and hoping to meet some people that way

whywefight 10-03-2012 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVHtremontiSRV
thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it. This is one reason I love this site. musicians look out for their own kind. (most of them lol). But anyways another aspect is im having problems putting together a band. I almost had something together over the summer but it fizzled out becuz the other guys werent as serious about it as I was and im not really friends with many other people that are into the same music I am, let alone PLAYING in a band with the same type of music. any tips to finding people that want to make music? I go to NKU so ive thought about taking some music classes and hoping to meet some people that way

Honestly, if I knew, I'd be in a much more focused band right now. For some reason, there's no one to play with 6,000 students living on campus :shrug:

Xiaoxi 10-03-2012 01:41 AM

It's not that you're too late. It's that you don't have the potential. You said so yourself.

EVHtremontiSRV 10-03-2012 10:02 AM

Thanks to those that are actually trying to help rather than those just being assbags

whoomit 10-03-2012 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devourke

Quote:
Originally Posted by entity0009
I'm 21 and I have to type all my posts out on a typewriter. Then my grandson types them up on the computer.

:haha: :haha: :haha:

Shit, I'm 21 now too. It's probably too late to have a kid :sad:

PaulyVengeance 10-03-2012 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
:haha: :haha: :haha:

Well, being scottish, once you're past the 13-14 year old point, it's too late.

:sad:

I'm so sorry.

adamgur96 10-03-2012 10:09 AM

Quote:

No..... you can always destroy your life in your 30's.

whoomit 10-03-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulyVengeance
Well, being scottish, once you're past the 13-14 year old point, it's too late.

:sad:

I'm so sorry.

Oi! We may have a high rate of teenage pregnancy, but don't you dare suggest that we don't know how to perform abortions effectively :mad:

girlgerms007 10-03-2012 10:13 AM

get a Plan B

PaulyVengeance 10-03-2012 10:40 AM

Quote:
Oi! We may have a high rate of teenage pregnancy, but don't you dare suggest that we don't know how to perform abortions effectively :mad:

:p:

You know I'm only messing with you.

Look, I drew you a picture to show how sorry I am.