UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   JVM410h (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1566084)

TheWarpRider 10-03-2012 11:40 AM

JVM410h

Coupled with a metal muff for 70s metal tones i.e. Sabbath + new stuff like The Sword, how well would it do AC/DC, Zep, Metallica (KEA & RTL), Megadeth (Peace Sells), G'n'R, early Testament & Tool type tones with a Gibson SG special faded w/stock pups?

H4T3BR33D3R 10-03-2012 11:45 AM

Personally I think the amp does all that fine without the pedal.

Mark G 10-03-2012 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4T3BR33D3R
Personally I think the amp does all that fine without the pedal.

I'd grab an OD, but other than that you're good to go.

H4T3BR33D3R 10-03-2012 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark G
I'd grab an OD, but other than that you're good to go.

Yeah, an OD set to boost is probably handy to have to tighten things up.

zl1288 10-03-2012 12:00 PM

JVM will get you there without a pedal, but I personally think a JVM may be a bit overkill versatility wise. I would recommend taking a look at the Vintage Modern, which will cover those genres better imo. I don't think either amp would be great for Tool tones, but I would imagine the VM and an OD would get you pretty close.

sg4ever 10-03-2012 01:20 PM

I think that a JVM wouldn't need the metal muff to cover any of that. Just get an OD for tightening tones here and there.

MaggaraMarine 10-03-2012 03:49 PM

I think JVM is a bit more modern sounding than Marshalls usually. Not sure about that but I have heard. So yeah, most of the bands you listed are more vintage sound. Especially the hard rock bands (Led Zep, AC/DC and GN'R) and Black Sabbath. Oh yeah, and those albums you listed from Metallica and Megadeth are not that modern sounding. But really, you don't need a pedal for that kind of amp. It's one of the most versatile Marshalls and designed to do many styles without the need of buying pedals. And IMO, amp distortion FTW. So I would buy something a bit more vintage sounding. Vintage Modern was suggested here and I think it would fit the music you play better. I'm not really familiar with these amps so all this information is based on what I've heard.

I mean, why do you buy an amp with over ten different sounds and only use clean channel with a pedal. You could buy much cheaper one channel amp and use the pedal through it. You would be paying for useless features.

MatrixClaw 10-03-2012 03:51 PM

JVM can do those more classic sounds on the lower gain channels, that's actually where it really excelled for me :shrug:

Not huge on its high gain modern stuff, but I think for what you want, it'd do pretty well.

Dave_Mc 10-03-2012 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixClaw
JVM can do those more classic sounds on the lower gain channels, that's actually where it really excelled for me :shrug:

Not huge on its high gain modern stuff, but I think for what you want, it'd do pretty well.

+1- i preferred its lower gain tones to its higher gain tones.

that being said, whether it'd do those tones as well as a more vintage-style marshall, I dunno (i didn't try anything else next to it). I suspect not, but :shrug:

Mark G 10-03-2012 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
+1- i preferred its lower gain tones to its higher gain tones.

that being said, whether it'd do those tones as well as a more vintage-style marshall, I dunno (i didn't try anything else next to it). I suspect not, but :shrug:

Well, it'll get pretty close. And the high gain tones, it'll nail testament with an OD. It excells at thrash with an OD.

Dave_Mc 10-03-2012 04:36 PM

^ :cheers:

311ZOSOVHJH 10-03-2012 06:42 PM

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1387138

:shrug:

TheWarpRider 10-04-2012 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH

Budget?
The closer to $1000AUD the better (just for the head) but up to around $2000AUD is max.

Genres?
-'Marshall' Thrash i.e. Kill 'em All, Ride The Lightning, Rust in Peace (I think Dave used 800s, not too sure) Peace Sells, Reign In Blood, The Legacy - Testament

-Classic/Hard rock: AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, Guns N' Roses

-Alt/Grunge - Soundgarden, Alice in Chains

A bit of Tool, Sabbath, SOAD, The Sword, Foo Fighters too amongst others.

The tones don't have to be spot on but maybe 70-85% of the tone would be nice as a lot of that stuff you won't get the exact album tone due to studio recording etc.

New or Used?
Would prefer new, the used market isn't that great down here.

Home or Gig?
Mostly home but also jamming with other guitarists and maybe a drummer/band eventually.

Closest City?
Melbourne, Australia

Current Gear?
-Bugera 333XL 212, I'll probably use the speakers from that first and then I'll buy a 2x12 or 4x12 when I get the money. Unless there is a combo of the amp I want with a closed back. Not sure about the speakers I woud like, maybe V30s or Greenbacks.

-Epiphone LP-100
-LTD MH-53

-Will probably be getting a new guitar soon, maybe this weekend, so far looks like a Gibson SG Special Faded.

Cathbard 10-04-2012 01:18 AM

Go into Allans/Billy Hyde and see what you can beat them down on. They are going out of business so you should be able to bully a pretty good deal out of them. They had Jet Cities going really cheap. One of those with a boost should cover anything you need.

TheWarpRider 10-04-2012 01:28 AM

Really? I didn't know that. Are they not getting anymore stock in?

Cathbard 10-04-2012 01:41 AM

They've gone bust, man. Whatever they don't move will go to the receivers. Get in there and take advantage of them.

AxSilentxLine 10-04-2012 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
They've gone bust, Man. Whatever they don't move will go to the receivers. Get in there and take advantage of them.

+1

I grabbed a JCA 2x12 for $340 the other day at Billy Hyde. Epic sales atm

TheWarpRider 10-04-2012 01:51 AM

Wow, sick. Although I'm not in the market for an amp right now, when I save up again in a few months but it's always nice to start looking early.

But I'll definitely go down there and have a look at their guitars and pedals.

http://www.allansbillyhyde.com.au/p...28Ebony%29.aspx

Shit, that's pretty good although I know another place where I can get it cheaper and in worn cherry red too.

Their ony Gibson listed though :/

Some other seriously cheap stuff on their site though.

EMG81 $98
Jet City 20W head $315
Boss CS3 $76
MI Audio Crunch Box $108

TheWarpRider 10-04-2012 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxSilentxLine
+1

I grabbed a JCA 2x12 for $340 the other day at Billy Hyde. Epic sales atm

How would a JCA 20h compare to my Bugera? I'd have it plugged into my Bugera combo atm.

http://www.allansbillyhyde.com.au/p...d/Jet_City.aspx

Cathbard 10-04-2012 02:07 AM

It's made better but the 20W will be pushing to stay clean against a drummer. The JCA5212 is under $600. You aren't gonna see that again. Go in and see what they can do you for. You may be able to score the JCA100H for peanuts - that's the one you want. Either that or a JCA50H. Go see what they can do for you face to face. Be a vulture. You never know what you might find.