UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gear Building & Customizing (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Did I screw myself over? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1566111)

kibatsume 10-03-2012 03:10 PM

Did I screw myself over?

So I received a free old Squire strat from a friends dad who found it in his basement. It had all fender parts on it and it played beautifully even though I don't care much for strats; and thinking that, since it's a Squire, I'd just mod the living hell out of it for fun. I decided to put a floyd rose on it, so I took it to guitar center since they'd do it cheap and I didn't care much about the guitar.
The guy at guitar center said that the licensed floyd they carried in the store would "drop right in" with only the post holes needing drilled, as well as the holes for the nut. When it was done though, he had widened the cavity quite a bit, and the original bridge wouldn't fit in anymore. I also didn't realize when he did it that the floyd would be dive only, which is not at all what I wanted.
I came to find out that that strat was an E1 '81 MIJ with all fender parts, and was worth a hell of a lot more than I'd thought. I really want to put the original fender bridge back in it, but since the cavity was enlarged it won't fit; is there anything I can do other than the the body routed for a full floating floyd rose?

TL;DR - TS routed a vintage strat for a dive only floyd rose and hates it; are there any fixes other than routing even more for a fully floating floyd?

Kevin Saale 10-03-2012 03:12 PM

Time machine, otherwise, I don't think so.

Also, the dive only thing just means you have it set up wrong. Adjust the springs in the back so the trem isn't sitting flush to the body.

Explorerbuilder 10-03-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Saale

Also, the dive only thing just means you have it set up wrong. Adjust the springs in the back so the trem isn't sitting flush to the body.

Not true. He means it isnt recessed, which means you cant pull back on the bar.

Kevin Saale 10-03-2012 03:18 PM

I didn't think it needed to be recessed. If you loosened the springs would it not float and you'd be able to pull up on it?

edit: Not saying thats optimal or anything.

kibatsume 10-03-2012 03:19 PM

I see what he means; that I could loosen the springs so that the bridge leaned forward enough for me to get a little pull. You can do that on the fender trems too, but I'd rather either have the old bridge, or shell out for an OFR. :/

Explorerbuilder 10-03-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:
I didn't think it needed to be recessed. If you loosened the springs would it not float and you'd be able to pull up on it?

edit: Not saying thats optimal or anything.

See, THAT would be improper setup. It needs to sit perfectly parallel to the body. And it needs to be recessed to be able to pull back.

Kevin Saale 10-03-2012 03:38 PM

Ok, fair enough. I've only messed with vintage strat trems where this obviously works. I'll admit I still don't see why you couldn't set it up that way, but whatever.

random_B-RAD 10-03-2012 04:34 PM

Quote:
Ok, fair enough. I've only messed with vintage strat trems where this obviously works. I'll admit I still don't see why you couldn't set it up that way, but whatever.

It can cause tuning instability and it looks silly to have a massive floyd sticking up in the air like that.

W4RP1G 10-03-2012 06:55 PM

I would definitely raise a fuss about Guitar Center lying to you and not telling you they were going to widen the route. I'm willing to bet they'll give you a full refund, though you'll probably have to talk to corporate for that. Then I'd use that money to buy a compatible replacement body. Then all you'd have to do is swap everything over to it if you don't want to use the cheap LFR anymore.

kibatsume 10-04-2012 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
I would definitely raise a fuss about Guitar Center lying to you and not telling you they were going to widen the route. I'm willing to bet they'll give you a full refund, though you'll probably have to talk to corporate for that. Then I'd use that money to buy a compatible replacement body. Then all you'd have to do is swap everything over to it if you don't want to use the cheap LFR anymore.

That would be great, but this was also done a few months ago and I'm not sure that I have the receipt, I'll contact them and see what I can do though.