UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gear Building & Customizing (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Optical tremelo-check it out! (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1566135)

C_Hart 10-03-2012 05:50 PM

Optical tremelo-check it out!

hoping to build something like this soon. so cool! do you guys think that it would cut the guitar signal at all? as in, should i try to integrate some kind of boost circuit?

W4RP1G 10-03-2012 06:44 PM

That's fooking awesome!

Kevin Saale 10-03-2012 06:46 PM

Tremolo almost always cuts the perceived volume. You'll just have to build it and judge for yourself if it needs a boost.

&baconstrips 10-03-2012 06:53 PM

One of the reasons I traded my TR-2 for a VFE Old School trem was to have a volume control to boost or cut the level. IMO having a boost circuit makes it heaps more useful.

Kevin Saale 10-03-2012 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by &baconstrips
One of the reasons I traded my TR-2 for a VFE Old School trem was to have a volume control to boost or cut the level. IMO having a boost circuit makes it heaps more useful.

Agreed, the EA trem I built has whats basically an LPB-1 (or similar) built in so it can go well above unity gain. Either way, you want the boost to have enough gain to make even the most intense settings not sound quieter than the straight through signal.

Arab_Philosofer 10-03-2012 08:21 PM

Wow that's hip! That make magazine is a great resource, apart from finding an enclosure this would be a fairly cheap and easy build.

jof1029 10-03-2012 09:25 PM

i would recomend having some sort of boost in the circuit. with a tremolo, it sounds quieter because the ear sort of hears the average volume. which is why tremolos with unity gain can sound like there is a volume drop. shouldnt need much boost, just something small to keep up the percieved volume.

in theory, you could probably do something like that with any tremolo with an optical control. ive got this one on my list of pedals to build (eventually). stick the spinning disk between the LED and LDR and youve done the same kind of thing, except your light is now flashing too.

NeXEkho 10-04-2012 04:38 AM

Some thoughts:
-This is pretty similar to the Tiny Trem, but with a spinning disc instead of a 555 timer switching a LED.
-It looks like this implementation has the LDR directly in the signal path instead of as part of a potential divider, so it might not play nice with some hardware. (same as the Tiny Trem)
-As it's open air it can be interfered with by ambient light. Putting the disc inside would solve this.
-Mount the LED and LDR next to one another and use a CD. Draw your patterns on with marker.

First person to make a phaser by mounting a speaker to a cam and putting a mic the other end of a project box wins

guitar-tin 10-04-2012 06:06 AM

Isn't it better to mount the disc inside the enclosure? Because there is a sun light which could affect it.