UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Pink Floyd-like Overdrive (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1566159)

FrozenNile 10-03-2012 08:54 PM

Pink Floyd-like Overdrive

I've been itching for a pedal that could give me that amazing tone that you get in Time and Comfortably Numb during the solos. Unfortunately I don't have a $1000 tube amp (I'm running a strat through a Peavey Bandit 112 Transtube), and money is a little tight right now. I have a BOSS DS-1, and I'm not a big fan of it, AT ALL. If there's any other BOSS pedals that could work for me, please let me know, as they're pretty cheap. I doubt I could get nearly as good of a tone as Gilmour, but is there anyway that I could get close? Cheers! (Also, if there are any mods that can make a cheaper pedal sound closer, I'm all for it)

Eppicurt 10-03-2012 09:00 PM

Gilmour tone is one of the most specific to try and achieve. What you really need is a Hiwatt.

Alternatively you need to get a Skreddy Lunar Module or a P19. They're essentially the Gilmour fuzz tones of DSOTM. Though there's a 2 month wait to have one made and they're roughly $200.

FrozenNile 10-03-2012 09:03 PM

That's a little much at the moment, but thanks for responding. I'll make sure to look into the Skreddy, once I find an actual job.

Eppicurt 10-03-2012 09:09 PM

Yeah, sorry to kind of burst your bubble, but getting a decent Gilmour tone is not going to be cheap. Especially with the gear you already have.

You can kind of fudge it by getting a muff of some kind, which is essentially what the P19 is. Big Muff Pi's are usually cheap. Check out eBay or your local classifieds for a used one.

FrozenNile 10-03-2012 09:21 PM

Thanks for helping me out! Another quick question. Would a small tube amp be able to achieve some really classic rock/prog rock sounds. Something like an Epiphone Valve Standard.

Eppicurt 10-03-2012 09:24 PM

Of course. The experience I've had with the Valve Standard was brief and vague, so I can't comment on its quality.

If you provide us with a budget however we can probably make some good recommendations. :) If you look used you can usually find some stellar little amps to achieve what you're after. If you sell the Bandit as well to increase your budget that'd help.

FrozenNile 10-03-2012 09:43 PM

Well I'd like to spend no more than $400 on an amp. I don't need a head/cab though. A combo is just fine. It doesn't need to be over 100 watts either. Just a small amp that would be big enough for playing a small (emphasis on small) gig, like a pub or a birthday party. I'm not quite sure how big it would need to be though. I had planned on keeping the Bandit as an amp more suited more towards metal, and it took almost a month of straight searching to find a U.S.A Bandit :p:

(edit): I also don't mind buying used.

forsaknazrael 10-03-2012 10:05 PM

The VJ is probably a bit dark for you.

Aren't the Egnater Tweaker 15 combos pretty affordable now on the Guitar Center used section? I'm sure they'll ship to Canada.

FrozenNile 10-03-2012 10:06 PM

I'll make sure to look around. Everyone says great things about Egnater. Sorry if it seems like I'm trying to get you guys to decide for me. I'm just VERY inexperienced with tube amps.

Eppicurt 10-03-2012 10:09 PM

A Tweaker would be great. Have a hunt around for a Peavey Classic 30, Traynor YCV40 or even a Peavey Valveking. All can be had for your budget and are all quality amps for classic rock/prog.

Don't sweat it man, we started out knowing jack too. :)

arozzi345 10-03-2012 10:18 PM

stompunderfoot.com

ihartfood 10-03-2012 10:52 PM

the Classic 30 suggestion is an excellent one, they are nice amps and the 30 watts as opposed to the tweaker's 15 will give much more headroom, so you can play clean at small pubs and such.

roughly the same price as well I believe.

Offworld92 10-03-2012 11:05 PM

The Peavey Classic 30 is THE budget Pink Floyd amp. They're typically around $350 used.

ihartfood 10-03-2012 11:19 PM

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Stor...248-i2763603.gc

Our jazz band uses the 50 watter, and it's absolutely amazing. I wish I had one. Nails SRV to Van Halen. We tweaked it for a while and got a fairly decent Money tone.

KailM 10-03-2012 11:36 PM

If you're not concerned about getting his tone EXACTLY, I've found that a touch of chorus and delay/reverb on top of pretty high gain overdrive will get you close to those singing tones as heard on Comfortably Numb and Time. I've gotten that tone on all of my guitars, not just Strats (and through a 6505+ to boot.)

Of course, the most important thing is to have the vibrato down...if you don't have that, you might as well play unplugged.

Cathbard 10-03-2012 11:51 PM

Nothing to add really. Agree with Adam.
Except, you will love this site:
http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=205

Any big clean tube amp will get you close enough with the right pedal in front of it (mainly a Muff). An old Fender will do a pretty good job even though they are quite different to a Hiwatt. Hell, even a Jazz Chorus will do an acceptable job. You don't need to get it close enough that it will fool people into thinking you are David, you just need an appropriate tone. Gilmour's tone is mostly pedals (well his distorted tones are). Most big clean amps will get you in the ballpark. It's all in the effects with Gilmour.

ihartfood 10-03-2012 11:52 PM

damn, a JC and a muff for Gilmour. gotta try that sometime :haha:

Cathbard 10-03-2012 11:56 PM

You'll be surprised how close you can get with that combination actually. You'll really want the proper one, ie. the JC120. Of course we are talking Gilmour so you'll be running a full pedalboard with spatial/mod effects most of the time too. We've all seen Gilmour's rack - it's immense.

Alphaform 10-04-2012 12:11 AM

If you're really on a budget you could try out something like a Vox AC4.

Offworld92 10-04-2012 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
We've all seen Gilmour's rack - it's immense.

I haven't. Decided to take a look - holy ****ing shit.

And is that a Boss HM-2 on the pedalboard? :haha: That would be awesome.