UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Pit (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Turkey strikes back at Syria after mortar kills five (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1566175)

Pat_s1t 10-03-2012 10:55 PM

Turkey strikes back at Syria after mortar kills five

Article: (http://www.reuters.com/article/2012...E88J0X720121003)
Quote:
By Seyhmus Cakan and Kadir Celikcan
AKCAKALE, Turkey | Wed Oct 3, 2012 7:50pm EDT
(Reuters) - Turkish artillery hit targets inside Syria on Wednesday after a mortar bomb fired from Syrian territory killed five Turkish civilians, while NATO called for an immediate end to Syria's "aggressive acts".

In the most serious cross-border escalation of the 18-month uprising in Syria, Turkey hit back at what it called "the last straw" when a mortar hit a residential neighborhood of the southern border town of Akcakale.

NATO said it stood by member-nation Turkey and urged Syria to put an end to "flagrant violations of international law".

The U.S.-led Western military alliance held an urgent late-night meeting in Brussels to discuss the matter and later on Tuesday in New York, Turkey asked the U.N. Security Council to take the "necessary action" to stop Syrian aggression.

In a letter to the president of the 15-nation Security Council, Turkish U.N. Ambassador Ertugrul Apakan called the firing of the mortar bomb "a flagrant violation of international law as well as a breach of international peace and security." [ID:nL1E8L3M0K]

There were no immediate details of the Turkish strikes against Syria, nor was it clear who had fired the mortar into Turkish territory, but security sources said Turkey was increasing the number of troops along its border

I think this is obviously the largest international event involving the 18-month long civil war in Syria. Obviously it'd be premature to suggest NATO getting involved on the basis of Article 5 being invoked, but if Syria keeps firing into Turkish territory and at Turkish targets things could get even uglier pretty fast. What do you guys make of it?

adamgur96 10-03-2012 10:57 PM

oh shit

Extra Ordinary 10-03-2012 11:00 PM

Wait, so I haven't been following the news but I have heard of the unrest over in that part of the world.
So what I'm asking is, what is going on in Syria to make it such a lengthy ordeal.

Spaztikko 10-03-2012 11:00 PM

Ok then.

Pat_s1t 10-03-2012 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extra Ordinary
Wait, so I haven't been following the news but I have heard of the unrest over in that part of the world.
So what I'm asking is, what is going on in Syria to make it such a lengthy ordeal.
Basically they had their own little peaceful attempt at revolution, and then it turned into a civil war when the military began firing on protesters, funerals, churches, etc. Now a lot of military personnel have joined the rebels, and basically the Syrian army has been executing civilians as well as firing artillery/RPGs into residential neighbourhoods regularly. Over 28,000 people have died by some counts, with less than 3,000 of those being actual Army members/rebel militants and the rest civilians.

Momentosis 10-03-2012 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat_s1t
Basically they had their own little peaceful attempt at revolution, and then it turned into a civil war when the military began firing on protesters, funerals, churches, etc. Now a lot of military personnel have joined the rebels, and basically the Syrian army has been executing civilians as well as firing artillery/RPGs into residential neighbourhoods regularly. Over 28,000 people have died by some counts, with less than 3,000 of those being actual Army members/rebel militants and the rest civilians.

Didn't even realize this was happening.

Pat_s1t 10-03-2012 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momentosis

Actually, read this and you'll get an idea of just how awful this whole thing has been.
http://lightbox.time.com/2012/08/06...-nicole-tung/#1

MinterMan22 10-03-2012 11:11 PM

i eat cereal for dinner and turkey for breakfast, is that weird?

Mind_Reader7 10-03-2012 11:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Syriasly, it would save so many problems.

jakesmellspoo 10-03-2012 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind_Reader7

and totally not cause a million others.

adamgur96 10-03-2012 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind_Reader7

Yeah, like how arabs hate Israel and want to kill us, that'll really help them to like us more -_- .....

Go fuck yourself.

WaterGod 10-04-2012 12:10 AM

We should totally help the rebels overthrow Assad. Not because it's the right thing to do, but just think how Russia and China will react when we steal one of their last middle eastern allies from them.

k90728 10-04-2012 02:37 AM

they just gotta bomb america kill em all and let the other countries go in peace.

america=problems for every other country, intentional or unintentional

So-Cal 10-04-2012 02:44 AM

Assad needs to get ****ed with a knife tbh, props to turkey for not going super saiyan.

snipelfritz 10-04-2012 02:47 AM

F'real Turkey is becoming the next "don't **** with me" country. I'd say Brazil too, but things aren't as cray as they used to be in South America.

RedDeath9 10-04-2012 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinterMan22
i eat cereal for dinner and turkey for breakfast, is that weird?

:haha:

gabcd86 10-04-2012 03:11 AM

Will be interesting to see, in the event of proper Turkish retaliation, if NATO are willing to fulfil their commitments. They've been very reluctant to intervene so far, I wonder if Turkey matters enough to them.

Dan_5893 10-04-2012 03:22 AM

The US (and by extension NATO) won't get involved because Syria and Iran have mutual defence agreements. As soon as one of them is attacked, the other will jump in to help. The US doesn't want a war with Iran, especially given what's happening in Afghanistan.

behind_you 10-04-2012 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momentosis
are you serious

snipelfritz 10-04-2012 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_5893
The US (and by extension NATO) won't get involved because Syria and Iran have mutual defence agreements. As soon as one of them is attacked, the other will jump in to help. The US doesn't want a war with Iran, especially given what's happening in Afghanistan.

Most likely this. Most likely the whole thing will blow over, and Syria will get their shit together with time (obviously more time that we would've hoped).

But as I've argued Turkey is having an increasingly pivotal world role being the semi-major power that connects the EU and NATO to the Middle East.