UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Jca (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1566201)

TheWarpRider 10-04-2012 05:46 AM

Jca

I think this deserves a new thread (from my JVM410h thread).

So initially I was looking at getting a new amp like a JVM410 in the long run but due to the closing down of a large music chain, there are large discounts on a lot of stuff. In particular Jet City Amps which I have become interested in because of this. They have the JCA20h for around $300 and a JCA50h for around $600. I doubt anyone will ever see those prices here again for those amps unless you buy used (meh).

Currently, I have a Bugera 333XL 212 but I can't say I'm extremely happy with it. It's got some nice rhythm tones but I really think the crunch mode lacks a lot of warmth and just that nicer sound that an amp like a good marshall or slo100 would have on the leads and mid gain tones.

Now my guitars, well to say the least they're crap. Epiphone LP-100 and LTD MH-53. However, until I found about the closing down of this store and the cheap JCA prices I was close to getting a new guitar, precisely a Gibson SG Special faded for ~$950-1000. Obviously this would definitely make an improvement to the sound of my amp but judging by many youtube videos the Bugera just doesn't have that sort of mid-gain tone in it that I'm looking for. Just too modern sounding imo. I mean this on the crunch channel ffs!

Compared to other amps I think my Bugera also lacks quality in the tone to be considered a really good amp that you wouldn't need to upgrade over (rather than go 'sideways' with something like a JVM or Mark V etc). Would a JCA20h or 50h sit a bit closer to that level of better amps also?

I'm not too worried about whether the JCA can do metal, because the 333XL can do it fine, though some early thrash tones would be nice. The most important tone would be a high quality mid-gain tone.

So the final question and ending question is should I grab a JCA20 or 50h now for very cheap while I can? The problem is that I'll have to wait a while to a get a new guitar...At the very most I could maybe afford the 20h and SG but I wouldn't buy it just for the sake of it being cheap if I could get the 50h which may give me that tone I'm looking for and put getting a new guitar on hold for a while.

Sorry if it's a bit confusing.

cdr_salamander 10-04-2012 06:07 AM

Well, with the 50 watt version you are getting that much more headroom, so if you like playing cleans at louder volumes without the amp breaking up then I would say it's the obvious choice. The Jet City amps are designed to be pretty modern Soldano-esque high gain and have received plenty of praise from metal fans here on the forums over history, it would have no problem nailing those thrash tones you speak of.

I noticed you were saying the Bugera sounded too "modern" for your tastes. Have you considered a vintage high gain amp (think Marshall DSL-50)? Maybe you are just not attracted to the modern voicings all-together. Just a question.

TheWarpRider 10-04-2012 06:17 AM

Tbh I can't really think of much music if any that I listen to that has modern hi-gain tones..maybe Megadeth's Endgame and the last couple of Testament albums. But still, I like what I hear from the Bugera on some settings, but it just lacks in certain areas.

I already have my Bugera to play cleans at louder volumes without breaking up, so that's not an issue.

Do they really have modern voicings like my Bugera?

Cathbard 10-04-2012 06:56 AM

If you are going to run two amps I'd go with the JCA5212 combo. It's the better deal and will be a lot easier to work with.
The clean channel is very vintagey and the second channel is pure thrash.

TheWarpRider 10-04-2012 07:08 AM

2 combos? meh, would just prefer a head.

TheWarpRider 10-04-2012 07:12 AM

Not really getting any direct answers to my questions :/

Cathbard 10-04-2012 07:20 AM

Then you're going to need a cab as well. I thought you were trying to keep the costs down. The combo is the way to go. If you are running two amps, two combos is a lot more convenient.

TheWarpRider 10-04-2012 07:26 AM

Not really, I don't play live.

It's pretty easy with a head and a combo, just plug the other head into my 333xl combo and use whichever one I want. Quite easy actually.

No offense but you're not really helping. Just wanting to know if the 20 or 50 heads will give me that sound I'm after, a warm inbetween mid-high gain lead tone. And maybe a brown sound or AC/DC type rhythm tones.

Cathbard 10-04-2012 07:44 AM

I thought I did. It will give you good thrash tones on the high gain channel and a more vintage sound on the clean channel. The 50 sounds more Soldano-ish than the 20.
Both will do ACDC better than your 333. If you can crank it (and I mean really crank it) the 20 will do it better because you can run it clean and drive the power tubes into distortion. At lower volumes, relying on the preamp for distortion, the 50 will kick its arse.

TheWarpRider 10-04-2012 07:50 AM

I dunno, maybe you did, didn't seem very clear :)

Anyway I'm going into Allans tomorrow after uni because there's one close to mine so I'll check a few things out and hopefully they have some Jet Citys in stock (20 & 50).

The 20 is more vintage on both channels?

Cathbard 10-04-2012 07:55 AM

The 20 only has one channel. The 22 is the 2 channel 20W'er. The clean channel on the 50 is the more vintage sound of them. The clean channel cranked way up to drummer levels will get you quite passable ACDC sounds - but it's gonna be loud as ****. That is the way to do it though, JCA50 on the clean channel cranked up to window rattling volumes.

When you get down to Allans crank them, even if they bitch at you. Crank them, you won't have to do it for long to get the idea what it sounds like.

311ZOSOVHJH 10-04-2012 08:23 AM

Short answer: 50H

Long answer: Why did you go create another 'What Amp' thread and still not use the format the sticky suggests? The one I gave you in your other thread. It is a very simple formula and works with guitars too. I'm not a super big fan of the Jet Cities but that doesn't mean anything. Just go there tomorrow like you said. Take your own guitar. Play as many amps as you can. Take notes. Come back here. Create a proper thread and then add in the notes that you took down about the different amps you played. I personally would forget about any Jet City under 50 watts. The JVMs will do what you want but personally cannot stand their distortion tone except maybe OD1 Green.

TheWarpRider 10-04-2012 08:27 AM

Well because the other was JVM410 thread, that's a different thing.

But I'll just go there tomorrow and see how they are.

Cathbard 10-04-2012 08:35 AM

I still think you're crazy getting the head when the combo is cheaper. The 5212 is the best deal hands down. When you can afford it, stick a V30 and a g12T75 in it, a set of tubes and you'll have a pro sounding rig.

311ZOSOVHJH 10-04-2012 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarpRider
Well because the other was JVM410 thread, that's a different thing.

But I'll just go there tomorrow and see how they are.

That's my point. Creating a thread about 1 amp is a waste of time. Your time and our time. There are a lot of amps out there. So if I were to come into this thread for the first time I would be unclear of your budget, where you live, how you use amps and then the added confusion of the guitar situation.

So creating another thread to discuss the JCA and saying that you are not getting any direct answers to your questions is not winning any points with me.