UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Overdrive pedal for SS (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1566216)

TheNameOfNoone 10-04-2012 08:43 AM

Overdrive pedal for SS

Greetings, oh, mighty folks of the UG.
Myself needs a small advice from your side.

So, I have a peavey vypyr 15 amp and a Metal Zone (I know......I know.) and after one year of using it, I realised I need an overdrive pedal to get my thin little MT2 tone a little beefier.
I know I should buy a tube amp, but I still don't have enough money to get a decent one... So I was wondering if there is a nice pedal that can make that tubey kind of overdrive on solidstate, and preferably with very little/no buzzing or hissing (the MT2 distortion is noisy enough), only getting it "thicker", if you know what I mean? Except for Tubescreamer, which one could be good? Bad Monkey? Big Muff? Anything?

Thank you in advance.

Cathbard 10-04-2012 08:59 AM

TheNameOfNoone 10-04-2012 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard

Wow. Sound is awsome... Too bad I live in Bosnia, where there is no way I can find this pedal...

tubetime86 10-04-2012 10:42 AM

Oh man, I'm leaving that one alone. :haha:

sroze478 10-04-2012 10:44 AM

When I think of "tubesy overdrive" I think of a Boss Bluesdriver. Mine is pretty quiet too.

souperman08 10-04-2012 11:12 AM

I am not a clever man, but wouldn't it make more sense to just work with the 12(?) amp models and dirt pedal models your amp has, until you can get a better amp? Delayed gratification I know, but it makes much more sense in the long run IMO.

Wesbanez 10-04-2012 11:25 AM

^ This.

Utterly pointless trying to put a pedal in front of a SS amp with digi effects. Guitarists put boost pedals in front of tube amps to literally boost the signal that hits the preamp tubes to obtain a natural and ear pleasing thicker tone... conversly, boosting the input signal to a SS amp will probably only result in harsh unwanted signal distortion. Pointless.

You would definitely be better off spending the money on a new speaker for that amp. Its an area that most people will happily overlook when trying to improve their sound, but the speaker is one of the most important components of any setup.

Rip out the Peavey speaker and throw a nice Eminence or Celestion in there. World of difference.

theryanwhite 10-04-2012 11:48 AM

Hey,

So based on what you've provided...an EQ pedal (Boss GE-7) is going to do more for you to get a "thicker" sound. Adding a overdrive pedal to a metal zone is going to cause so much noise it will be painful to the ears.

The metal zone has some nice eq adjustments, everything from ear piercing highs to the darkest muddy tone you can imagine....try taking the highs all the way down first and add them in to taste...if thats not enough move to the mid settings (both of them).

Let me know if you've got further questions

TheNameOfNoone 10-04-2012 01:30 PM

Thanks everybody for answering, but my intention was to get a pedal that makes nice, clean-sounding overdrive on it's own and then shaping the tone with MT-2 for some metal feel... I cannot buy a better amp now, and I'm a bad person for using a lot of pedals on digital amp, I know :D (Souperman08, Vypyr 15 doesn't have a footswitch, so it's unpractical to use amp channels...and they don't sound too good to my ear, anyway..)

So, the question actually was:
"Is there an overdrive or dist pedal that sounds nice on the solid state amp?"

Cathbard's answer was nice... but it would be nice if there is a more popular brand that I can easily acquire :)

Thanks again. :)

Wesbanez 10-05-2012 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNameOfNoone
it's unpractical to use amp channels...and they don't sound too good to my ear, anyway..)

So, the question actually was:
"Is there an overdrive or dist pedal that sounds nice on the solid state amp?"

If you don't like the sound of your amp, putting some pedals in front of it is unlikely to help.

You're going to have to experiment. Different solid states react differently to being pushed at the input stage. I've owned a Peavey Vypyr 30 in the past so can tell you from experience that you are unlikely to be pleased with the result of trying to boost or use pedals with this amp.

You know you can get perfectly reasonable small tube amps for little more than the price of a nice OD pedal?

Some examples:

Laney Cub 8 Combo
Ephiphone Valve Junior
VHT AV-SP1 Combo
Bugera V5
Blackstar HT1

None of these costs more than 150. Some are below 100. Just something to think about.

TheNameOfNoone 10-06-2012 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesbanez
You know you can get perfectly reasonable small tube amps for little more than the price of a nice OD pedal?

Some examples:

Laney Cub 8 Combo
Ephiphone Valve Junior
VHT AV-SP1 Combo
Bugera V5
Blackstar HT1

None of these costs more than 150. Some are below 100. Just something to think about.

Thanks, man, I'm gonna try Bugera V5 tomorrow, and if I like the sound I guess I'll sell the vypyr. :)
Didn't know that tube amps can be that cheap...

Cathbard 10-06-2012 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNameOfNoone
Wow. Sound is awsome... Too bad I live in Bosnia, where there is no way I can find this pedal...

http://www.amazon.com/Barber-Dirty-...rber+dirty+bomb