UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electric Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   PRS Guitars (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1566258)

jwoodbury3571 10-04-2012 03:00 PM

PRS Guitars

What are people's opinion on PRS guitars? I'm looking at a P24 limited edition which really looks beautiful but I've never played one and don't have any dealers that have any in stock. Any opinions, they sure are expensive.

T00DEEPBLUE 10-04-2012 03:03 PM

They're expensive because they're amazing.

That goes without saying for any brand.

kylepianoman 10-05-2012 12:01 AM

I have a P22 and it really plays like a dream. I'm not just saying that because I spent 3k on it, but the neck feels perfect, it looks beautiful, not too lightweight, not too heavy, sounds beautiful out of the case, and has incredible versatility between the piezo and 5 way switch.

any specific questions, feel free to ask

Offworld92 10-05-2012 12:02 AM

Find a (relatively) mass production guitar with a prettier top.

I dare you.

Compared to a brand like Gibson, I think most people here will agree that you definitely get what you pay for with PRS. Moreso, perhaps.

However don't lose sight of what's really important: Does it feel good in your hands? Does it "click" with you?

trashedlostfdup 10-05-2012 12:14 AM

the sound good and play well, but i am not the type for gaudy guitars, and i personally don't care for the figured maple tops. i would rather have it painted black or what or something.

that is just me though, most people who are turned on to PRS see the tops and fall in love.

but they are fine instruments.

AcousticMirror 10-05-2012 12:19 AM

you can get prs guitars without the gaudy tops.

Seanthesheep 10-05-2012 12:21 AM

I love my PRS and its perfect for me. I tried it against any similarly priced guitars including 2 different custom shop Gibson LPs and to me the prs I bought just fits me perfectly :)

trashedlostfdup 10-05-2012 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticMirror
you can get prs guitars without the gaudy tops.

i don't see them around often in comparison to the gaudy tops that are out there. if i were going to spend around $3k on a guitar i would likely get a suhr modern. i have only played one suhr in my life, but it left a very nice taste in my mouth. PRS"s are great too, but i think i will keep chasing until i get my hands on a suhr.

thehikingdude 10-05-2012 02:17 AM

The Piezo system used by PRS is top notch. You can't go wrong with it. My very first PRS has it. Still amazes me to this day.

AcousticMirror 10-05-2012 02:19 AM

i like suhrs.

my prs has a painted top and so do two of my andersons.

one anderson has a fancy top just cuz it wasn't that much extra when i ordered it.

trashedlostfdup 10-05-2012 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticMirror
i like suhrs.

my prs has a painted top and so do two of my andersons.

one anderson has a fancy top just cuz it wasn't that much extra when i ordered it.

curious, did you opt for the painted tops and not prefer figured tops or did they just happen to fall onto your lap?

thehikingdude 10-05-2012 02:30 AM

Even with an opaque finish I still think they look a cut above most others - IMHO.

I do wish this one had a piezo system on it. Oh well.

AcousticMirror 10-05-2012 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
curious, did you opt for the painted tops and not prefer figured tops or did they just happen to fall onto your lap?

the plain tops were just what was available.

there are actually very few spruce top hollowbodies and most of them have painted tops.

the maple ones have figured tops and sides.

my andersons are alder and swampash so no tops or figuring on those.

T00DEEPBLUE 10-05-2012 06:59 AM

I tend not to like the look of PRS guitars, they usually look way too ostentatious and gaudy.

Their tops aren't really that pretty because they're just too 'much'.

LP_CL 10-05-2012 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
I tend not to like the look of PRS guitars, they usually look way too ostentatious and gaudy.

Their tops aren't really that pretty because they're just too 'much'.

Then don't get a ten top. Problem solved.

T00DEEPBLUE 10-05-2012 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP_CL
Then don't get a ten top. Problem solved.

The thing is, i don't really like their body shapes that much either.

jimbob78 10-05-2012 10:27 AM

They're good, but you have to find a model that suits you. I have a DGT, and it's my favourite of their models. It has a really cool vibe and sounds fantastic. I just play that and my Tyler now. Sold Musicman's, a Suhr Modern, just sold a Les Paul standard etc.

trashedlostfdup 10-05-2012 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
The thing is, i don't really like their body shapes that much either.

i am with you on that and the tops. not only 10 tops are gaudy. the black PRS's are finished very nicely (as shown in the picture) that has more beauty to me.