UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Best BOSS distrotion pedal (for hard rock/metal) (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1566347)

Twofly 10-05-2012 03:45 AM

Best BOSS distrotion pedal (for hard rock/metal)

Hey guys

OK, so I currently have a Boss MT2 metalzone, however when it was new it got its circuits fried from using a non PSA adapter (I fixed it) but ever since then no matter how many different cables I buy, at certain times I'll just lose attack, tone and volume on my set up (like 50%) and only wiggling around with contact points rectifies this. I've changed all my cables and this happens on both my amps so it is definately the pedal. I want a new boss distortion, however what is the best one out there for hard rock/metal?Should I get another MT2? or should I get the Metal Core? I really wanna stick with Boss (very hard to get other brands in my country).

CodeMonk 10-05-2012 03:51 AM

If you can get a Digitech Hardwire TL-2 go with that.
Its Digitechs version of the MT-2 and sounds better, IMO.
The MT-2 is regarded as crap by myself and most people around here.

darkwolf291 10-05-2012 03:58 AM

Suhr Riot

steven seagull 10-05-2012 04:35 AM

To be honest the answer is "something not made by BOSS"

nido 10-05-2012 07:38 AM

See if you can try a Boss Power Stack at your local store.

loki_lulamen 10-05-2012 11:01 AM

i know this is a cliche, but get a new amp.

no matter what pedal you buy its gonna sound like shit if you run it into your MG100dfx.

as for pedals..... dont get a boss. they dont make any good high gain pedals.

DavmanRFC 10-05-2012 11:32 AM

You're probably going to hate the suggestion but yeah I agree with the above, saving up for a more suited tube amp would be a better buy in the long run and tbh I'd stay away from any pedal wit 'metal' in the name. They seem fine playing on your own but when you get round to jamming and playing in a band it's far too much gain most of the time, in my opinion anyway :/

chip46 10-05-2012 11:54 AM

Don't think it matters what you run through that MG, it's all gonna sound pretty poopy.

gerraguitar 10-05-2012 01:08 PM

new amp first, but if a pedal is what you seek check out a Rat, solid choice for a good price

Bidley 10-05-2012 01:28 PM

Suhr Riot, ProCo Rat or if you can find a Boss HM-2, get one of those.

Boss do plenty of great dirt pedals, but most people have misused a DS-1 or played through an MT-2 and been put off.

darkwolf291 10-05-2012 01:55 PM

Just get a Riot.

They kick massive ass

tubetime86 10-05-2012 02:06 PM

Proco Rat.

losing battle 10-05-2012 04:40 PM

I suggest a Jekyll and hyde it works well with ss amps (well better than the rat) and I believe gc has them on clearence now so you can buy a new one for 100. Also if you upgrade to a tube amp you have a bitching tube screamer

Twofly 10-05-2012 04:43 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys, yeah I am slowly going to upgrade it. I'm thinking of getting a Marshall tube amp head and plugging in through the MG loud speaker

MaggaraMarine 10-05-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twofly
Thanks for the feedback guys, yeah I am slowly going to upgrade it. I'm thinking of getting a Marshall tube amp head and plugging in through the MG loud speaker

The MG might not have that good speakers. And that might be one reason why MG doesn't sound good. And yeah, spending money on different pedals isn't really clever because once you get a new amp, you might notice that you prefer its channel distortion to your distortion boxes. So if you buy a good head, also buy a good cab. Spend your money on pedals after you've got a good amp. Because only then you'll notice what effects you really need. Pedals will sound different through different amps and you also may notice that the old distortion pedal you have doesn't sound any good through the new amp you buy so it's a complete waste of money.

gateway01 10-05-2012 05:34 PM

buy a used Way Huge Swollen Pickle fuzz pedal. Probably just as much as a Boss MD-2.

I actually use a Boss MD-2 and I love it, but I would really like to get myself a Swollen Pickle instead.

MD-2: New - $80 Used - $40
SP: New - $129 Used - $80

Offworld92 10-05-2012 07:48 PM

What is available where you live?

ne14t 10-05-2012 07:56 PM

I had a MXR Fullbore Metal pedal come my way about two years ago it was a god damn beast of a pedal I honestly couldnt see anyone needing any more gain then that thing had, I actually ended up selling it because it had just way too much gain for what I needed, now I wish I still had it kind of just to pop in the signal chain and get that dirty Pantera style chugging or whatever going on.