UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cover Songs (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Iron Maiden - The Trooper (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1566361)

MaverickTR 10-05-2012 06:59 AM

Iron Maiden - The Trooper

Hey UGers, I recorded this over summer and would appreciate any critiques or comments :headbang:

salildeshpande7 10-05-2012 09:14 AM

brilliantly done, rhythm parts are spot on

n00bje 10-05-2012 09:15 AM

That was awesome! :D The only thing that needs changing IMO is the 100-100 panning you did. :)

JammyP 93 10-05-2012 10:26 AM

Wow..i need to practise some guitar haha.

MaverickTR 10-05-2012 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bje
The only thing that needs changing IMO is the 100-100 panning you did. :)

Haha good spot, its actually a stereo field rotation of +10 deg with 75% pan L/R, but i'll try to make it more "centered" for the next cover. btw i'll gladly take any tips on placing guitars in a mix since I'm still learning and experimenting with different pannings etc. :)

n00bje 10-05-2012 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickTR
Haha good spot, its actually a stereo field rotation of +10 deg with 75% pan L/R, but i'll try to make it more "centered" for the next cover. btw i'll gladly take any tips on placing guitars in a mix since I'm still learning and experimenting with different pannings etc. :)

I always double track my rhythm and pan it 50-50 or 60-60, with sometimes another (quieter) track with a more booming/bassier tone in the center.
I put my leads usually around 70-70.

And of course listen to your mix with headphones on when doing stereo stuff. :)

What plugin do you use to do stereo field rotation? I've never heard of it and want to try it out. :D

MaverickTR 10-05-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bje
I always double track my rhythm and pan it 50-50 or 60-60, with sometimes another (quieter) track with a more booming/bassier tone in the center.
I put my leads usually around 70-70.

And of course listen to your mix with headphones on when doing stereo stuff. :)

What plugin do you use to do stereo field rotation? I've never heard of it and want to try it out. :D

Thanks, I usually don't double track anything so I will try that out! :D and the stereo field rotation i talked about was done using a bundled JS plug-in with REAPER called "Stereo Field Manipulator" It's basically a simple pan but instead of using the volume balance it uses phases so you can pan further without changing the perceived volume. In my experience so far, besides using EQ, it lets you give the guitars a bit of depth by pushing them further away from your ears. This for me makes the rhythm guitars not as dominant in the mix and adds a bit of "air" but on the downside makes it seem as though they are panned 100-100 :haha:

Reaper.- 10-08-2012 12:13 AM

Cool!! its awesome greetings !

micrawfo5 10-12-2012 07:37 PM

That was awsome i just used that to do my home work.just started taking lessons six months ago.Played for a year back in 89 with no training,figued i would go for it since my kids were about raised now and im 45.That was some of the music i used to jam on.that was cool keep jamming,when i see that it makes me work harder

MaverickTR 10-13-2012 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrawfo5
That was awsome i just used that to do my home work.just started taking lessons six months ago.Played for a year back in 89 with no training,figued i would go for it since my kids were about raised now and im 45.That was some of the music i used to jam on.that was cool keep jamming,when i see that it makes me work harder

Thanks for the comment and I'm glad you picked up guitar again! Iron Maiden songs are a great way to learn both lead and rhythm guitar in a fun way so I hope you enjoy learning them as much as I did. I wish you the best. :peace: