UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tabs & Chords (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Unfinished Proggy... thing... (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1566375)

Macabre_Turtle 10-05-2012 08:54 AM

Unfinished Proggy... thing...

1 Attachment(s)
EDIT: Over a year later, I've gotten around to finishing this song. I'm not gonna post the updated tab, because I ended up changing things when recording it and I don't feel like correcting the tab, but the recording can be heard at "www.soundcloud.com/daltonmunnal/claymore".

REEDIT: I should put back in my notice that despite the tab filename, I know this isn't modal. I know how some people on this site can be (though I suppose not usually in this particular part of the forum...).

StrumThatFender 10-05-2012 10:18 AM

I like it, sounds pretty nice. Love the opening chords in the first section. The solo starting from 11 is great, but I don't like the bass part. It might be partly to do with GP5's awful sound effects, but I found it annoying hearing that underneath the guitars. Some nice riffs starting at 19 as well. Good job.

Macabre_Turtle 10-05-2012 10:29 AM

I forgot to mention, it's not actually supposed to be slap bass. It's just that setting it to slap bass is the only way I can hear the bass through my laptop speakers.

Thanks for the response, sir. :cheers:

frankibo 10-05-2012 11:24 AM

I really really really like it but then bass quintuplet polyrhythm seems really forced, like it's only there to check the polyrhythm box, doesn't make much sense in the piece.
Tip about bass sound on GP5, double track it, one picked one slap and you get a nice full sound.

Macabre_Turtle 10-05-2012 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankibo
I really really really like it but then bass quintuplet polyrhythm seems really forced, like it's only there to check the polyrhythm box, doesn't make much sense in the piece.
Tip about bass sound on GP5, double track it, one picked one slap and you get a nice full sound.

Noted. I wrote the quintuplets in the bass (and bass) drum because of the one little quintuplet part in the lead. Do you think the quintuplets in the lead will still sound natural if I take them out of the bass/drums? The quintuplets in the bass/drums were indeed forced, but the quintuplets in the guitar weren't.

frankibo 10-05-2012 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macabre_Turtle
Noted. I wrote the quintuplets in the bass (and bass) drum because of the one little quintuplet part in the lead. Do you think the quintuplets in the lead will still sound natural if I take them out of the bass/drums? The quintuplets in the bass/drums were indeed forced, but the quintuplets in the guitar weren't.

Lead part sounded fine to me.

Rokkstar 10-05-2012 09:56 PM

I was thoroughly entertained for the whole file. 30 on was my favorite because of the tritone build. I liked the rhythm and just the overall sound of the notes. I dig this hardcore. Like oodles of coboodles. So where's the rest...? :( Please make it longer!

Check out my recording? :D

Macabre_Turtle 10-06-2012 06:29 AM

Thanks you sir! I'll check your song when I get home from work, and I'll definitely add more to this one.

Seb1uk 10-06-2012 09:36 PM

Well to answer your question on whether it flows or not I'd say it all flowed together fine. I especially liked the transition into the breakdown.

I enjoyed the intro but I kinda felt like that the open notes didn't sound nice. I had a play with the notes a bit myself, just by going in the first 2 bars for instance, look at your tab and these are the notes I did: 0-2-2-0-2-chord-2-2-2-2-2 then 2's instead of 0's as the bass note for the second bar. Take it or leave it, that's just what I would've preferred to hear.

Not sure how I felt about the triplets and quintuplets in the second section, I felt the rhythm guitar was a bit empty, I know that you were going for the two note chords thing but it didn't appeal to me here.

Nice one so far, would like to see where you go with this. c4c? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1524280

Macabre_Turtle 10-07-2012 03:50 PM

Crits returned. Thanks guys. :cheers:

Macabre_Turtle 10-10-2012 04:54 PM

Changed a few little things, and added a little bit more. Unsure about everything I added though.

frankibo 10-10-2012 05:05 PM

Really like the transition at 27 by the way, that tritone is a nice touch.
In regard to the additions that continue what you had well without really adding anything spectacular. By all means a good extension of the original piece. I think a clean section is all but ready to happen.
Not that my critique was any good but...
C4C?
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1563273

Macabre_Turtle 10-10-2012 05:18 PM

The clean section is bound to happen, but it's not quite there yet. Gonna need another minute or so of music before I try that. But, glad to know others are thinking the same thing. :)

Macabre_Turtle 12-01-2013 11:45 AM

*check OP*