UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Musician Talk (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Difference between pitch and tone? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1566433)

Standarduser 10-05-2012 04:16 PM

Difference between pitch and tone?

Please explain. Google was my friend, but not a very good one.

chronowarp 10-05-2012 04:24 PM

It's sort of a hard question to answer when both words have multiple meanings.

macashmack 10-05-2012 04:24 PM

I might be wrong, but i have been lead to believe that pitch is the note, tone is the quality (but not like timbre)

supersac 10-05-2012 04:26 PM

well pitch refers to the frequency of the note

tone can mean either a step(whole tone or semi tone) or how the instrment sounds the tone of the instrument can be dark(usally means bass amphasis) or bright (treble emphasis) and anywherer in between

i hope this helped

MaggaraMarine 10-05-2012 04:33 PM

@ macashmack: Yes. A guitar can have a good tone but pitch means the note you play. For example if you play fret 5 and 7 on the A string, the seventh fret will be higher pitch than fifth fret. And by adjusting the EQ, your tone gets more bassy or trebly.

J-Dawg158 10-05-2012 04:40 PM

I would characterize tone as the timbre, provided your not refereing to tone as a whole step in pitch like supersac suggested.

shreddymcshred 10-05-2012 04:52 PM

pitch is 1 frequency only. Tone is the result of a fundamental plus additional pitches (overtones). This is why pure sine waves of a given frequency will all have the same tone (if using the same equipment for both)

A bright tone is caused by emphasis of higher frequency overtones. A dull or hollow tone emphasizes the fundamental frequency

HotspurJr 10-05-2012 06:13 PM

Tone is a word with multiple meanings.

Pitch just means how high or low the note is, the frequency of the sound.

Tone can mean that ...

Or it can mean a whole bunch of other things. Guitarists often use it to mean timbre - that is to say, the various qualities of sound other than pitch and volume, which is mostly a function of the various overtones in play. Using this definition words like "woody" "harsh" "smooth" "round" "bright" would be descriptions of tone.

But of course it can also mean the overall emotional feel of something. Sad. Light. Happy. Dark. Obviously this is connected to "timbre" but it's a little more abstract.

Hope that helps.

Sleepy__Head 10-06-2012 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standarduser
Please explain. Google was my friend, but not a very good one.

Pitch is how high or how low something is. A tone is the name we give to the pitch, regardless of how high or low it is.

High C and low C. One has a high pitch, one a low pitch. They're both instances of the tone C.

Except that people often use the terms interchangeably. And tone has other meanings ( timbre, character, volume, colour)

Tvrtko1 10-06-2012 04:14 AM

In music class, we defined pitch as the frequency of a note, and tone as any sound which has a pitch, as opposed to, say, the noise of a jackhammer.

Standarduser 10-06-2012 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
@ macashmack: Yes. A guitar can have a good tone but pitch means the note you play. For example if you play fret 5 and 7 on the A string, the seventh fret will be higher pitch than fifth fret. And by adjusting the EQ, your tone gets more bassy or trebly.

Finally, what dozens of articles at so called "Good sites" couldnt explain for shit. Ty.