UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electric Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Need help deciding what pickups to get? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1566453)

Austin174 10-05-2012 06:40 PM

Need help deciding what pickups to get?

So I bought a Ibanez RG7321 yesterday and I want to swap out the pup's. I was originally going to go with the Crunch Lab/ Liqued Fire set, but I'm not sure if these are what I should get.

I play stuff like All Shall Perish, Whitechapel, Born Of Osiris, Suicide Silence, Parkway Drive and etc. Also new or used money is not an issue just want to get the most I can.

Ultima117 10-05-2012 06:43 PM

Your hellraiser with emgs isn't giving you that tone? If I'm not mistaken that's what those bands use...

krehzeekid 10-05-2012 06:46 PM

in all honesty I don't think any pickup is going to help as long as you're playing through a tiny modelling amp.

I think it's time for a new amp.

Austin174 10-05-2012 06:48 PM

Yes I know I need a new amp and I am in thr process of getting a new one ( Peavey 6505+ combo). My hellraiser is a 6 string If I would have known the music I listen to now is on a 7 or 8 string I would have gotten one to begin with lol.

So with that said any advice?

Kevin Saale 10-05-2012 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krehzeekid
in all honesty I don't think any pickup is going to help as long as you're playing through a tiny modelling amp.

I think it's time for a new amp.

Agreed. Its a solid little amp, but its still limited in what it can do.

krehzeekid 10-05-2012 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin174
Yes I know I need a new amp and I am in thr process of getting a new one ( Peavey 6505+ combo). My hellraiser is a 6 string If I would have known the music I listen to now is on a 7 or 8 string I would have gotten one to begin with lol.

So with that said any advice?

the liquifier/ crunchlab sounds amazing in Ibby's with a 6505

dannyalcatraz 10-05-2012 06:52 PM

Honestly, Ultima117 already nailed it by pointing out that EMGs are the pickups of choice for those guys, and krehzeekid pointed out what you need to do to complete the picture.

W4RP1G 10-05-2012 07:09 PM

I don't think he'll be able to get EMGs to fit unless he routes the cavities a little larger. Maybe Blackouts, but I haven't looked into it.

The 6505 is a solid amp, and I suggest getting an EQ pedal and running it in the FX loop. I ran a Danelectro EQ($30) in the FX loop and the improvement was pretty significant. It really tightened up the low-end.

As for which pickups to get, how did you decide to get the Petrucci pickups in the first place if you want to sound like those other bands? I'd probably go with a D' Activator 7 in the bridge and then something smooth like the LiquiFire 7 in the neck.

AJScott 10-05-2012 07:46 PM

Get the Seymour Duncan Blackout 7 string version, they're like EMG's on steroids. Real nice pickups. Will get that tone nicely!

dannyalcatraz 10-05-2012 07:48 PM

Quote:
I don't think he'll be able to get EMGs to fit unless he routes the cavities a little larger.

Ultima117 was pointing out Austin174 already has a guitar with EMGs that should do the job- his Schecter C-1 Hellraiser.

jeleopard 10-05-2012 07:50 PM

Crunchlab/Liquifire imo :P

Or EMG 81-7/85-7

Offworld92 10-05-2012 08:01 PM

If money isn't an issue, check out the EMG 81-7 X & 707 X. That would be sweet.

W4RP1G 10-05-2012 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Ultima117 was pointing out Austin174 already has a guitar with EMGs that should do the job- his Schecter C-1 Hellraiser.

That may be true, but he said that's the tone he wants from his 7 string pickups so I can only assume the he doesn't care for playing it on his Hellraiser. Unless I'm missing something?

W4RP1G 10-05-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
If money isn't an issue, check out the EMG 81-7 X & 707 X. That would be sweet.

Do they fit in passive routes? I remember reading somewhere that they do not, but maybe those were the old models.

Offworld92 10-05-2012 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
Do they fit in passive routes? I remember reading somewhere that they do not, but maybe those were the old models.

I always forget the RG7321 is passive routed. That's a bummer.

Give the DiMarzio D Activator 7s a look in that case.

KailM 10-05-2012 08:13 PM

Get the right amp first and then you'll see that it won't make that much difference what pickups you use (within reason). Crunch Lab/Liquifires will do that sound, but EMGs, Blackouts, and many others will also do just as well.

Pickups, especially high-output pickups like you're looking at, are not going to drastically change very much about your sound -- especially if you're not running them through a tube amp. I have a guitar with Blackouts and a guitar with a Dimarzio D Sonic (pretty much the older version of the Crunch Lab). Yeah, they sound a bit different from each other; but through my 6505 they can both make good, brutal metal. Get the amp first.

My $.02

krehzeekid 10-06-2012 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KailM
Get the right amp first and then you'll see that it won't make that much difference what pickups you use (within reason). Crunch Lab/Liquifires will do that sound, but EMGs, Blackouts, and many others will also do just as well.

Pickups, especially high-output pickups like you're looking at, are not going to drastically change very much about your sound -- especially if you're not running them through a tube amp. I have a guitar with Blackouts and a guitar with a Dimarzio D Sonic (pretty much the older version of the Crunch Lab). Yeah, they sound a bit different from each other; but through my 6505 they can both make good, brutal metal. Get the amp first.

My $.02

as an extension of this train of thought, even the stock pickups in that guitar are adequate to produce decent metal tones. no, they aren't as harmonically rich as dimarzio's, but they aren't bad.

the money that would go towards better pickups is better spent on an amp. its that simple

Austin174 10-06-2012 12:37 AM

Ok I'll wait on the pickup's an get the new amp. Also there is nothin wrong with my hellraiser it does wonder's but I got the 7 string so I can play my metal, and use my hellraiser for when I wanna play some satch.