UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Techniques (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Fretting? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1566468)

Danielghero 10-05-2012 08:15 PM

Fretting?

Getting straight to the point, I've noticed that my fingers fret a note almost completely before I pick that note. That causing an unwanted scratchy sound from picking a note that is already vibrating or ringing. I know I'm gonna hear "slow way down and use a metronome." There lies the problem. No matter how slow I go I always seem to rely on my left hand to fret just a second before I pick. Like my picking hand waits for the signal to pick from my left hand, but that signal is being sent at the wrong time. Follow? How am I supposed to fix this? The notes that are picked a tad late kinda sound muted, and you can tell a big difference from those notes, and the random ones that I will pick correctly. I personally think it sounds horrible, but nobody around me (friends, family, fellow musicians at the local music store) seems to notice the problem. It's the most frustrating thing I've ever dealt with in my life (so far). All the help will be appreciated here guys, and I'm not just saying that. Thanks.

J-Dawg158 10-05-2012 08:32 PM

Sounds to me that you might be fretting too hard possibly. Not hard as in holding it down too hard, but too forcfully, you're not trying to hammer on out of nowhere while just picking. When you fret a note before picking it there should be little to no ringing. Whenever I go to pick I only hold the string down with just enough pressure to hold the string against the fret.

Aside from this, perhaps you just need to practice getting your hands into sync. Keep at it, you'll get there.

seamil 10-05-2012 09:21 PM

I have a feeling J-Dawg is right. You don't hear many people talk about it, but it's actually a very common problem to have when you first start playing. After you play for a little longer, you'll start to realize what sounds good, and what doesn't, and your fingers will get the hang of doing what they need to do.

Danielghero 10-06-2012 09:30 PM

I have been playing for 6 years. I've tried changing notes not as forcefully, but I still seem to be doing it too hard?

W4RP1G 10-06-2012 10:56 PM

Use a lighter touch and get your hands in sync. You've developed a bad habit, now you have to fix it by forcing yourself to do this right. There is no way around it, either succeed or fail at fixing this issue.

And yes, you can use a metronome to help fix this. Use the tics as an audible cue to fret or pick a note. First practice fretting on the tic. Then practice picking on the tic. Then combine them both. Increase the speed as you proficiency improves.

Freepower 10-08-2012 01:05 PM

This is going to be an infuriating answer, but you have to take it even slower. Slower than a metronome can go. Take your time and make your only priority synching your hands. Work at a speed slow enough that you can be certain of doing it correctly.

This might help. Although this vid is ancient and I've changed my mind about some things, the main point still stands. Slowly! :p: