UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Pit (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Environmental Work. (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1566534)

fender_696 10-06-2012 08:59 AM

Environmental Work.

Hi guys, I'm having a bit of a crisis thinking what I want to do. I study Landscape Architecture with Town Planning and have just started my Masters, but recent exposure has shown me it's not really what I want to do... It's essentially dull office work and I've never seen myself staring at a computer screen all day (some of you may not relate to this, the amount you spend in the Pit, but hopefully some will :p: ).

Anyway, do any of you guys have interesting jobs that are outside the office and related to the environment in some way?

Or are you aspiring to do so?

Or simply know of any outdoorsy jobs that seem interesting?

I'm not sure this is the right place to inquire, but seeing as pretty much everyone on my course wants to go into private practice as soon as we graduate, I have nowhere else to turn! :p:

Kensai 10-06-2012 08:59 AM

Archaeology :cool:

fender_696 10-06-2012 09:01 AM

Archaeology sounds pretty sweet... but I haven't got a degree in it and don't plan on studying for another 3 years and racking up yet more debt!

Surely a Masters in Landscape Architecture can result in a semi-interesting job...

whoomit 10-06-2012 09:01 AM

Secret Agent Archaeological Environmentally-Friendly Spy :cool:

fender_696 10-06-2012 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
Secret Agent Archaeological Environmentally-Friendly Spy :cool:
And that's why I voted for the horse-dick geezer.

:p:

whoomit 10-06-2012 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fender_696
And that's why I voted for the horse-dick geezer.

:p:

Unphased

:cool:

Kensai 10-06-2012 09:06 AM

Quote:
Archaeology sounds pretty sweet... but I haven't got a degree in it and don't plan on studying for another 3 years and racking up yet more debt!

Surely a Masters in Landscape Architecture can result in a semi-interesting job...

Considering the competition for archaeology you'd probably need to study for a master's, so around 4-5 years. Unfortunately.

I'd say do your master's at least. It's much more meritorious than having a bachelor's degree. You might even find it more interesting the more you learn about it ;)

Run Erratic 10-06-2012 09:14 AM

I think I'd go mad if I was stuck in an office all day! I got stuck in the office at work for three days after hurting my shoulder and the boredom and bitchy office politics did my head in!

I'm a tree surgeon by the way!

Neo Evil11 10-06-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:
Hi guys, I'm having a bit of a crisis thinking what I want to do. I study Landscape Architecture with Town Planning and have just started my Masters, but recent exposure has shown me it's not really what I want to do... It's essentially dull office work and I've never seen myself staring at a computer screen all day (some of you may not relate to this, the amount you spend in the Pit, but hopefully some will :p: ).

Anyway, do any of you guys have interesting jobs that are outside the office and related to the environment in some way?

Or are you aspiring to do so?

Or simply know of any outdoorsy jobs that seem interesting?

I'm not sure this is the right place to inquire, but seeing as pretty much everyone on my course wants to go into private practice as soon as we graduate, I have nowhere else to turn! :p:

Here if you study earth sciences or any other environmental study, you end up in an office because you are too expensive for field work lol. So maybe downgrade yourself? Or join Greenpeace.

macaroni 10-06-2012 09:40 AM

It's a job, you're not meant to like it.

rabidguitarist 10-06-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Be grateful, at least there's a job at the end of it!

Most graduates would be over the moon to get a deadend staring at a computer screen job.

dylanfromearth 10-06-2012 11:32 AM

you could study forestry or ecology and be a park ranger, surely there is an office at your school that is more knowledgeable than the pit

technicolour 10-06-2012 11:48 AM

I'm finishing my undergrad in Biology with a focus on ecology. I do field work every summer, it's pretty sweet, we sample wetlands on the great lakes.

If you want to get in to that kind of stuff I suggest: applying for summer positions at state/federal parks, volunteering at local environmental associations, or taking some field courses...I don't know if masters students are allowed to though..?

Todd Hart 10-06-2012 12:09 PM

I've written the odd environmental poem. Probably doesn't really make up for the thousands of trees that are chopped down so that people like me can doodle Spenserian sonnets but alas. :p:

Neo Evil11 10-06-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technicolour
I'm finishing my undergrad in Biology with a focus on ecology. I do field work every summer, it's pretty sweet, we sample wetlands on the great lakes.

If you want to get in to that kind of stuff I suggest: applying for summer positions at state/federal parks, volunteering at local environmental associations, or taking some field courses...I don't know if masters students are allowed to though..?

How are you able to do field work? Do you have a job on the university? I wish I could have done shit like that when I was still studying Earth Sciences. Might have swayed me towards Hydrology then instead of Economics. :p: