UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Any good Tube amps for $300 dollars or less? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1566582)

GuitarNewbee 10-06-2012 02:57 PM

Any good Tube amps for $300 dollars or less?

I want to sell my first amp which is a solid state amp, and buy a new one but a tube amp instead, i was wondering if there are any good quality tube amps that cost 3oo dollars or less, and since ive never used a tube amp, i have a couple questions, Do you have to change the tubes? If you do have to change the tubes how much do they cost?...Im looking for a tube amps that can work for anything from Aersosmith, Guns n roses, AC/DC and black Sabeth all the way to harder stuff like Bullet for my valentine and Bring me the horizon.
Gear: Ibanez Rg3exfm1
Amp:Line 6 spider iv 15 watt
Condition: New
Genre of Music: Aersosmith, Guns n roses, AC/DC and black Sabeth all the way to harder stuff like Bullet for my valentine and Bring me the horizon.

For home use, i dont gig.

20 watts or as much as you can fit in for 300 dollars.

Arby911 10-06-2012 02:58 PM

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1387138

Robbgnarly 10-06-2012 03:00 PM

Used Peavey Vyper Tube 60
Used Bugera 6260/333

George Juggles 10-06-2012 03:19 PM

for home use, a 5 watt amp could work.

GuitarNewbee 10-06-2012 03:21 PM

are watts for tube amps louder than watts for solid state amps? for example are 5 watt tube amps like 15 watt solid state amps or why do people say there so loud?

Offworld92 10-06-2012 03:21 PM

Definitely Vypyr Tube.

George Juggles 10-06-2012 03:22 PM

I don't know the exact difference, but tubes are considerably louder than solid state.

Arby911 10-06-2012 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Juggles
I don't know the exact difference, but tubes are considerably louder than solid state.

Nope, a watt is a watt, all other things being equal.

The confusion comes in the fact that seldom ARE all things equal.

Speaker efficiency, actual power output, number of speakers etc. all play a part.

d.c.guitar 10-06-2012 04:07 PM

Crate Blue Voodoo, you can find a nice used one for about $200 - $250 on Craigslist. I have one which I don't play as much anymore since I got my Egnater, but I still love it and will not get rid of it. It has a really nice Raw Rock tone. I used to use it in my 80's rock band. I highly recommend you try one out, specially the older models that have blue tolex and the old gold crate logo.

BigHeadClan 10-06-2012 04:25 PM

Tube amps are generally louder than their solid state counterparts.

OT: If you want a budget tube amp go with the vyper tube 60. I've had mine for a year and a bit and love the hell out of it, if you want to play some heavier stuff then you will want to invest in a noise suppressor down the road.

That said it's very versatile and can do pretty much anything fairly well.

Kevin Saale 10-06-2012 04:53 PM

If the modern metal stuff is important to you then you don't want a 5 watter. If classic rock and such are your main focus then you might like a 5 watter.

As it stands, the vypyr tube 60 used or the vypyr 30 (which isn't tube) is probably your best bet if you have to have all those tones. Keep in mind, the tube 60 isn't all tube, the preamp is SS and the effects are digital (though you don't have to use them).

Jhachey22 10-06-2012 11:20 PM

The Fender Vibrochamp XD (5 watts, 1 channel) is a decent home amp that covers a lot of musical territory and can be found used for around $200-$250 pretty easily. You could probably find the Superchamp (15 watts, 2 channels) for $300 if you wanted the extra channels/wattage.

Cathbard 10-06-2012 11:32 PM

Volume differences are mainly down to how the amps are rated. Tube amps are rated as the theoretical power before clipping and you can run a tube amp quite a long way into clipping before they sound bad. The power rating on most SS amps seems to be the first number that popped into some marketing douche's head. In short the power rating on an amp is not the true power that the amp can produce; tube amps are normally underrated and SS amps tend to be overrated.
It's not that a 5W tube amp is louder than a 5W SS amp; they aren't both 5W amps.

ihartfood 10-06-2012 11:38 PM

Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 is in your best interest. around $300-400 USD used

Volcz 10-06-2012 11:41 PM

Why not go for Blackstar HT-5 instead of a modelling amp? It's the obvious answer to me.

ihartfood 10-06-2012 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcz
Why not go for Blackstar HT-5 instead of a modelling amp? It's the obvious answer to me.

imo, the Vypyr tube is far more versatile, better distortion, and is cheaper (I think?) also, the HT-5 will barely keep up in a gig situation. the Vypyr 60 could *theoretically* do a stadium. or a bedroom.

Cath, think of all the money those marketing douches make. Makes you wanna market douches doesn't it?

R45VT 10-07-2012 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.c.guitar
Crate Blue Voodoo, you can find a nice used one for about $200 - $250 on Craigslist. I have one which I don't play as much anymore since I got my Egnater, but I still love it and will not get rid of it. It has a really nice Raw Rock tone. I used to use it in my 80's rock band. I highly recommend you try one out, specially the older models that have blue tolex and the old gold crate logo.

x2

Cathbard 10-07-2012 12:10 AM

Pimps make a lot of money too, I aint doing that either. ;)

A Vyper Tube is 10x the amp that a HT-5 is. The Vyper will make a fine gigging amp (power amp straight out of a 6505) but will also sound great turned down to TV volumes. The only thing the HT-5 has over the Vyper 60 is that it's physically smaller but a Vyper 60 isn't that big either. If you don't have room for a Vyper you need to move out of the rabbit hatch and into a house. It's no contest really.

Volcz 10-07-2012 12:33 AM

Personally I prefer the HT-5's distortion.. but that's just me. I've never been a fan of the Peavey Vypyr series, I've played them numerous times and they don't cut it IMO.

I also said the HT-5 since he said he wouldn't be gigging, and assumed when he said "not gigging" that he's just a casual home player and will never take it out of his room.

Plus it'll handle
Quote:
"Aersosmith, Guns n roses, AC/DC and black Sabeth all the way to harder stuff like Bullet for my valentine and Bring me the horizon."

Once more, just my opinion.

Thebedroommusic 10-07-2012 06:55 AM

Hi there,

My personal recomendation is VHT Special 6 Ultra Guitar Combo Amplifier

I think this is a very good beginner amp. It goes from nice clean to high-gain. Ok, it's hard to play some core styles (althow I never tested it with dropped tunings and extremely hot pickups, maybe will also sound good).

But this amp is very good for practicing, using WATTS knob you can play preety silent in the bedroom. Nice tone at TV set volume. It also has 2 channels. Very versatile amp.

You can listen to my soundexample. I have a head version of it.

http://soundcloud.com/thebedroommus...lassic-vibe-50s

The tubes. Yes, you have to change it. The tube costs roughly 10$, maybe you can get something cheaper on e-bay. The good thing is this amp is build with self-biased schematics, which means you easely replace tube with no adjustment. Single end adesign also means you don't have to worry about matched pair tubes.

Ah yeah, the tube driven effects loop. This is a very nice feature. I use this with my

Line6 M9 stompbox modeller

I connect this to effects loop. So I can use pure tube overdrive and use M9 for delays, reverbs and modulations without sacrificing the tube tone.

I actually think now of buying the second one to use stereoeffects.

Regarding Blackheart models. I tested those in the shop. To my taste they sound plastic. I don't feel the same punch as from my VHT. But ok, "like" and "dislike" talking about sound is very subjective.

Hope I could help you with my advice.

Cheerzzz!