UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Pickups for a les paul. (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1566635)

Neon Knight 10-06-2012 09:42 PM

Pickups for a les paul.

My impoverish friends (two brothers and a sister) have managed to score a coperate sponsorship for 20,000 US. Its a wonderful instance of good things happening to good (and immensely talented) people. I dont feel like getting into the details but I've been put in charge of choosing the equipment for them.

So the younger of the brothers wants a new guitar. He has a dean razorback but seeing as it was the family act (top 40 stuff) that scored this sponsership performing at an upperclass event with a razorback doesnt fit. We're going with a custom agile LP and a pickup swap.

Now, theres a lot of other stuff they need so as such we're sticking with regular pickups like duncan and dimarzio, no BKP's.

Now, even though he wants a classy guitar he's still a metal head and needs a pickup combo that can deliver on that front while being versatile enough to take into a random session and lay down a pop song.

Note: The electronics will be modded right away to allow for split coils. Thats the advantage of having a private guitar tech, boo ya!

PS: There is an option for a chambered version. I know as well as anyone that hollowbodies cant handle too much gain but I have no experience with chambered guitars with no f holes. Do these react to gain better than traditional semi/hollowbodies?

TheSPillow 10-06-2012 09:48 PM

I'm no expert on pickups, but I have a chambered LP. There's no glaring difference, just a bit of resonance, less sustain... I like it better than solid bodies, they break your back.

Eppicurt 10-06-2012 09:51 PM

Duncan JB/59 combo.

T7E 10-06-2012 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppicurt
Duncan JB/59 combo.

Yeah basically this. JB in the bridge. 59 in the neck. Versatile as hell.

Wisthekiller 10-06-2012 10:20 PM

Either what they said, a JB/JN combo, or a DiMarzio PAF/SD combo. They will be versatile as hell and have no problem handling gain or sounding clean. The splits in the JB/JN sound amazing as hell.

ihartfood 10-06-2012 10:21 PM

Quote:
Duncan JB/59 combo.

this. lovin' the avatar haha

ooftymcgoofty 10-06-2012 10:30 PM

Suhr Doug Aldrich set.

Not sure how they are with split coils but in my opinion they are better than the JB/59 combo. (which I had previously)

iam19feettall 10-06-2012 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisthekiller
a JB/JN combo.

Do it.

In all seriousness, it's nice, I haven't tried the Dimarzio combo recommended but the JB/JN is really good with a ton of versatility in it.

jthm_guitarist 10-06-2012 11:09 PM

Quote:
Duncan JB/59 combo.

Might as well.

Dave_Mc 10-07-2012 03:01 PM

haven't seen you around for a while- nice to see you back. Congrats to your brother and sisters on the sponsorship, too. :cheers:

i'm not too fussed on a JB in a les paul style guitar- i'd maybe go with a custom 5 instead? '59 for the neck is a good call, though.

steven_ferns84 10-07-2012 04:29 PM

Dimarzio: AT1 bridge, PAF 36th Aniv Neck
That should be versatile enough to cover a lot of grounds.

I'm not really a fan of the JB in a mahogany body, maybe SH14 Custom 5 bridge instead, that should balance well with an all mahogany body & Pearley Gates or '59 in the neck.

Offworld92 10-07-2012 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc

i'm not too fussed on a JB in a les paul style guitar- i'd maybe go with a custom 5 instead? '59 for the neck is a good call, though.

+1

JesusCrisp 10-07-2012 04:43 PM

Duncan Custom in the bridge, '59 or Jazz in the neck.