UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Handheld recorder (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1566637)

JoeFlips 10-06-2012 10:10 PM

Handheld recorder

I've been looking into a handheld recorder to record my riffs on the spot. I have been using my phone, but it has the memory of a goldfish, and I have no way of uploading any of them to my computer.

So I've been looking at zoom recorders, but I have very limited knowledge here. What is the difference between the zoom H1, H2n, an H4n? Which would be a good balance between user-friendly/simple and quality sound? Also, what other companies and models should I look at?

TL;DR - Help me find a nice recorder that's easy to use and easy to upload to a mac.

Eppicurt 10-06-2012 10:13 PM

Zoom H4N definitely. The sound quality is ridiculously good.

Dillinger recorded a song with it -

Keeping in mind they play ****ing loud. No clipping or anything.

gumbilicious 10-06-2012 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFlips
I've been looking into a handheld recorder to record my riffs on the spot. I have been using my phone, but it has the memory of a goldfish, and I have no way of uploading any of them to my computer.

So I've been looking at zoom recorders, but I have very limited knowledge here. What is the difference between the zoom H1, H2n, an H4n? Which would be a good balance between user-friendly/simple and quality sound? Also, what other companies and models should I look at?

TL;DR - Help me find a nice recorder that's easy to use and easy to upload to a mac.

i use the H1, it's not super awesome quality, but it works and it's cheap. DL's to my mac just fine, super simple to use. i got it for catching quick song ideas.

jj1565 10-06-2012 10:23 PM

i found one of the blue zoom Q 3s for under $100.
with a little tripod.

it never clips.

the video is a little shitty compared to the HD ones.
but half the time i switch it to audio anyway.

you can probably still get one on ebay for cheap if you want.

Perverockstar69 10-07-2012 10:14 AM

Check the Sony one if you want more sound quality.

Robbgnarly 10-07-2012 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
i found one of the blue zoom Q 3s for under $100.
with a little tripod.

it never clips.

the video is a little shitty compared to the HD ones.
but half the time i switch it to audio anyway.

you can probably still get one on ebay for cheap if you want.

+1 the Q3/Q3hd and the new Q2 are pretty good

JoeFlips 10-07-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perverockstar69
Check the Sony one if you want more sound quality.

Mostly I am looking for USB compatibility, affordability, and good sound quality. I am mainly just looking to record my ideas for myself, so sound quality is less important than simplicity and affordability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
+1 the Q3/Q3hd and the new Q2 are pretty good

Since I won't be using the video camera part, would I be spending extra for that feature? Or are there other features that would be helpful that the others don't have?

Robbgnarly 10-07-2012 11:34 AM

The Q series has excelent sound quality. And the video can be used/not used, but is a great feature to have when you go to a concert. They don't alow video cameras in, but the Zoom Qseries can get in no problem then you have good audio and depending on the model the video can be pretty good also.

JoeFlips 10-07-2012 11:53 AM

How about memory? do they all have a good amount of memory or do some have more than others?

Robbgnarly 10-07-2012 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFlips
How about memory? do they all have a good amount of memory or do some have more than others?

The Q series takes SD memory cards for its memory, so it can be from minutes to hours of recording time.

jj1565 10-07-2012 12:04 PM

like said, the Q series is less than half the price of video recorders, cheaper and easier to use than most audio only recorders.

there is a simple pop up menu on the screen, so you can arrow over to the recording you want, and a little garbage can, you press when you want to delete.

honestly, i have an 8 track boss recorder, but at practice, just to get an idea of how the songs sound, i always just hit record for this thing instead.
i plug it into a speaker for playback, it's so much easier than setting up mics.
it runs a couple of batteries, no power cable needed.
and a usb built in to upload to computer.

edit: shhh, dont tell anyone, but here's one on ebay
bidding starts at $31. ;)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zoom-Q3-Han...=item1c2bd7364d

JoeFlips 10-07-2012 12:14 PM

^Alright, sounds good. Looks like I got what I need. Thanks guys

fly135 10-07-2012 02:51 PM

I recommend the $50 Line 6 Backtrack w/ mic for the following....

1) Internal rechargeable battery seems to last forever vs. my Tascam that goes through triple A's in no time.

2) 1/4" input with passthru to amp.

3) Auto record start/stop with playing.

4) Sounds great but only mono.

In my link the songs Jelly Jam, Bug Walk, Sneaky, Some Bird, Orange Chimera, Baldwin Park, and Outta Town were recorded with it using the 1/4" input.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...CFQTnnAodWEwADg

JoeFlips 10-07-2012 08:44 PM

^Wow, thanks! that looks like a good option for me between USB output, Sound quality, and it works directly with the amp as well. Definitely going to consider it.

fly135 10-07-2012 10:40 PM

I should add it has the worst user interface possible. I just turn it on and play. The horrible interface lets you forget about it and focus on playing vs. always checking the lick you just played. It works for me and gets way more use than my stereo Tascam with a better interface although mainly because of the battery issue.