UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   My first pedal. What do you guys think?? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1566646)

Queiroz.SP 10-06-2012 11:22 PM

My first pedal. What do you guys think??

What's up guys?

I'm looking forward to buy an pedal to enjoy learning guitar even more. I have to admit that i'm just a beginner who started to play 2 months ago, but i'm addicted and i play everyday (except weekends) for 2-3 hours minimum.

I have an Yamaha Pacifica 112V and one tiny little amp Yamaha THR-10.

My budget for the pedal is 100usd.

I think one multi-fx to find the tone that i want for blues/metal songs.

V-Amp 3 is good enough?

Should i save the money and learn how to adjust the Yamaha THR-10 to get the sound that i want? I don't know but i've been using the THR Editor and i found some great tones but still.. What do you guys think?

In the end, if i think it was not really necessary, i could still sell the pedal and even earn some extra cash, because i will buy it from US and everything worths almost 3 times here in Brazil.

Thanks everyone.

Great weekend for all of you.

Kind Regards,
Queiroz

Guitarbaddie 10-06-2012 11:29 PM

Save your money, the amp is fine and so is your guitar.

Just save up and get a nice tube amp later on.

Eppicurt 10-06-2012 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarbaddie
Save your money, the amp is fine and so is your guitar.

Just save up and get a nice tube amp later on.

+1

JoeFlips 10-06-2012 11:33 PM

You shouldn't buy pedals unless you know what you want, and it doesn't seem like you do. Determine the sound you want that you can't get with your current gear. Make sure that it can be achieved with a pedal and there you go.

ihartfood 10-06-2012 11:58 PM

buy yourself a smoothie.

save your money.

get a little tube amp later.

Carl21221 10-07-2012 12:16 AM

I agree with the guys above. Save your money up a little more and get a tube amp.

Shoving pedals in front of a small solid-state amp will most likely sound horrendous. Although if you are dead set on getting a pedal a multi-fx would probably be the best bet since you have no idea what you actually want out of a pedal. But as i've said, just save yor money until you can get an amp upgrade :D

losing battle 10-07-2012 12:26 AM

Used boss, korg, or tc electronics tuner pedal every player should have one especially in a live scenerio.

Queiroz.SP 10-07-2012 12:42 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I really appreciate it.

I totally agree with you guys, I should save money to buy a real tube amp next year (since i won't be able to import it from the US because of the weight) and i will think about this kind of stuff later. I must learn how to adjust the THR better and i'm sure that i will find some of the tones that i have on my mind from it.

I couldn't find any site with presets for the THR. I think not many people spends $300 with a tiny little amp like this one. (but i really love it and i am 100% sure that i've made the right choice)

Best Regards,
Queiroz

Metalloy 10-07-2012 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queiroz.SP
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I really appreciate it.

I totally agree with you guys, I should save money to buy a real tube amp next year (since i won't be able to import it from the US because of the weight) and i will think about this kind of stuff later. I must learn how to adjust the THR better and i'm sure that i will find some of the tones that i have on my mind from it.

I couldn't find any site with presets for the THR. I think not many people spends $300 with a tiny little amp like this one. (but i really love it and i am 100% sure that i've made the right choice)

Best Regards,
Queiroz

if you are on a tone hunt, you better off save up for a tube amp, but seeing that you are an absolute beginner, i think you're better off buying a multi-fx for now, i dont know about the V-amp, but i did try digitech rp150 and line6 floorpod plus, i would recommend the digitech for the following reasons that helps you as a beginner:
1) built in drum machine/ metronome which the floorpod lacks
2) there are some nice presets
3) built in tuner which i liked better then the line 6

owning a multi-fx unit can be helpful and really enjoyable, not the ultimate tone solution but it is good enough for your needs.
get the best digitech Rp you can buy with your hundred, my recommendation would be the rp155, which also has a great freature:
20 second looping, it means that you can record up to 20 seconds of music and it will keep reapeating that part, it is really helpful for improvisation purposes over certain chord progression you record.

get the rp155.

get the rp155.

www.zzounds.com/item--DGTRP155

good luck

AcidParadox 10-07-2012 06:56 PM

Why do you feel the need to get a multi-fx when the THR-10 is a modelling amp? Is it for the convenience of having the ability to simply press (or stomp) a button to get to a different preset, or because you think the Yamaha can't handle the tones you want? If it's the latter, I'd recommend just keeping what you have, because if you utilize the Yamaha's editor, I'm sure it could give you any sound you want.

I'm in the camp that recommends just saving for a tube amp later on. Use what you have now, find a signature sound, use that to make your decision on a tube amp that suits you.

Queiroz.SP 10-08-2012 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidParadox
Why do you feel the need to get a multi-fx when the THR-10 is a modelling amp? Is it for the convenience of having the ability to simply press (or stomp) a button to get to a different preset, or because you think the Yamaha can't handle the tones you want? If it's the latter, I'd recommend just keeping what you have, because if you utilize the Yamaha's editor, I'm sure it could give you any sound you want.

I'm in the camp that recommends just saving for a tube amp later on. Use what you have now, find a signature sound, use that to make your decision on a tube amp that suits you.

I think it's because the multi-fx would expand my options to find some of the tones that i want and i didn't find with the THR yet, and of course, would be great to stomp a button to get a different preset instead of stop playing the guitar to do it.

I tried to search around for some presets for the THR but i didn't find any yet.

I think, when i learn how to use the THR editor properly, i will be able to find some of the tones that i want.

Thanks for the feedback.

Really appreciate it.

Regards,
Queiroz

PS: but some tones like Satriani's... I was trying to learn Super colossal but i couldn't find the tone for it.. i guess the THR does not have the right effect for that song... It would be super cool if i managed to find that tone :D i guess i will wait for black friday deal and maybe get one multi-fx pedal on some crazy deals.