UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   57/62 Strat Pickups (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1566657)

asf1187 10-07-2012 01:19 AM

57/62 Strat Pickups

Im looking to put new pups in my strat. So far the 57/62 seem like the best option. My strat is an 08 am standard (rosewood). I was wondering how the 57/62s compare to the stock pickups, and also if there are any others i should look into (I already know about the cs69s the fat 50s and the duncan ssl-1 set). I play blues (mainly SRV/Hendrix), rock, jazz, and some indie.

mmolteratx 10-07-2012 01:28 AM

Why bother with another set of Fenders? They're all around the same level of quality. Try some Lollars.

Kevin Saale 10-07-2012 01:44 AM

Fender pups are way overpriced for what they are.

Eppicurt 10-07-2012 02:58 AM

What about the stock pickups don't you like?

Also for our own information, what amp do you have?

asf1187 10-07-2012 08:47 AM

It's not that I don't like the pickups i have now, It's just that I want a more vintage tone. I'm using a 1966 ampeg gemini I my uncle gave me, so I'm half way there.

Eppicurt 10-07-2012 08:58 AM

I used to run Duncan SSL1s and an SSL5 custom shop in the bridge on my old strat. Very low output, very warm pickups. If gain and distortion isnt your thing, give those a look.

It would really depend on how you define vintage though. Do you have any examples of tones you'd like to try and achieve?

asf1187 10-07-2012 09:08 AM

I really like the bite from the pickups in "Lenny" and i have an ibanes ts9, it just doesnt get the tone by itself. So really any SRV song lol. Little wing, Red house, Spanish Castle Magic, and under the bridge.

ihartfood 10-07-2012 09:29 AM

fender hot noiseless. You should be able to get that tone with what you have though...

Kevin Saale 10-07-2012 12:24 PM

I love my SSL 5 custom in the bridge of my strat, but I use it mostly for overdrive and such. Sounds good clean though too. Best overdrive tones I've heard from a strat sized true single coil, imo. I have a mexican made texas special in the neck (sounds exactly like the american wound ones :shrug: ) and it can do the SRV sound perfectly.

Keep in mind though, a lot of SRVs sound, I mean a lot, is the way he attacks the strings. I can make pretty much any amp sound like SRV if I set my mind to it. I'm not saying I can get a perfect tone, but I can the idea across. Right now with the gear you have, you should be able to get 80% or 90% of SRVs tone. You got a fenderish amp, you got the strat, and you got the tubescreamer, now you just need the technique. I also found heavier strings helps, you don't need .013s like SRV, but when I moved to .011s I felt like it was closer to his sound.

ihartfood 10-07-2012 01:06 PM

I completely forgot the texas specials :shrug: basically any over-wound single coil will do. I like the hot noiseless because, well, they're noiseless.

Kevin Saale 10-07-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartfood
I completely forgot the texas specials :shrug: basically any over-wound single coil will do. I like the hot noiseless because, well, they're noiseless.

Yeah, but for me, being humbuckers, they lose a little bit of the chime. Great pups though.

asf1187 10-07-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:
I love my SSL 5 custom in the bridge of my strat, but I use it mostly for overdrive and such. Sounds good clean though too. Best overdrive tones I've heard from a strat sized true single coil, imo. I have a mexican made texas special in the neck (sounds exactly like the american wound ones ) and it can do the SRV sound perfectly.

Keep in mind though, a lot of SRVs sound, I mean a lot, is the way he attacks the strings. I can make pretty much any amp sound like SRV if I set my mind to it. I'm not saying I can get a perfect tone, but I can the idea across. Right now with the gear you have, you should be able to get 80% or 90% of SRVs tone. You got a fenderish amp, you got the strat, and you got the tubescreamer, now you just need the technique. I also found heavier strings helps, you don't need .013s like SRV, but when I moved to .011s I felt like it was closer to his sound.

I really understand srv's tone is the way he attacks the strings. I've been working hard to learn his techniques. I am moving up to 11's from 10's. It's just it sounds kind of weak when i attack the strings the way srv does. could that be fixed by a height adjustment maybe? Its just kind of thin sounding when I hit the strings hard like srv does in lenny. I can kinda get it, but would a pickup change do the trick? Thats really like the tone i want because its the change in dynamic that is so amazing.

Kevin Saale 10-07-2012 02:11 PM

I don't think pickups are gonna help much. The pups in the american strats aren't amazing, but they are pretty much perfect for SRV. Try bumping up the string gauge and maybe raise the action a bit.

asf1187 10-07-2012 02:13 PM

Quote:
I don't think pickups are gonna help much. The pups in the american strats aren't amazing, but they are pretty much perfect for SRV. Try bumping up the string gauge and maybe raise the action a bit

Alright. I'll change the strings. They just sound so thin. Could it be my amp settings? There no mids on my amp. I usually have treble at 8.5 and the bass at 6 (out of 10)

Kevin Saale 10-07-2012 02:15 PM

To get more mids out of a treble/bass tonestack you just run the bass and treble a little lower. With the tubescreamer though the mids shouldn't really be an issue. How are you running your tubescreamer btw?

asf1187 10-07-2012 02:30 PM

tone at 6.5 drive at 3 and level at 7

kyle62 10-07-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Saale
Fender pups are way overpriced for what they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmolteratx
Why bother with another set of Fenders? They're all around the same level of quality. Try some Lollars.

This, this and this.

Lollar, GHS, Bareknuckle, Klein, Wolfetone, Irongear - there's so many better choices that offer better quality for less cash.

asf1187 10-07-2012 02:33 PM

oh and i have an bass compressor (digitech) which i use for a more "stratty" tone

Kevin Saale 10-07-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asf1187
tone at 6.5 drive at 3 and level at 7

Max the level and bring the drive to 0 or 1.

ihartfood 10-07-2012 03:01 PM

drive at one will do the Lenny tone nicely. Get the TS-9 keeley modded that'll help too.

Thicker strings and higher action (edit: this was already suggested. oops) might help with attack. I know the song well and I've never heard anyone come close to that tone when he hits hard after the emaj7 (or whatever chord it is). Such dynamic playing...sigh