UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electric Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Getting a mid-priced electric, need advice. (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1566732)

DeanoM50810 10-07-2012 02:20 PM

Getting a mid-priced electric, need advice.

Hey guys,

I've been deciding on a quality electric guitar for Christmas around the 450-700 price range. After looking around for a bit, these ones caught my eye...

Epiphone Prophecy LP Custom Plus GX/EX (they both have different pickups, but I still want to consider both): The finish looks amazing, I suppose the 24 frets is a plus, it includes a free hard case, but you have the Gibson in the same price range too...

Ibanez S570B/S770FM (not sure which one yet): I love the body, the tremolo and the finishes it comes in, it seems like a pretty versatile guitar too. It has 24 frets too.

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded: It's a Gibson, is it worth the extra 200 over the Epi though?

Out of these, which would be my best bet? Or which guitars would you suggest in that price range?

Keep in mind my current guitars, which are:
A Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet (with the Bigsby)
An Aria Pro II SL ST 3, which is like a Superstrat with HSS pickup layout (a reason why I never considered Ibanez's RG range)
An Epiphone SG Special II which I don't plan on keeping

Thanks guys :)

W4RP1G 10-07-2012 02:25 PM

The prophecy is very different from a Gibson Studio. It should come down to which guitar suites you better.

And neither of those Ibanez will disappoint.

DeanoM50810 10-07-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
The prophecy is very different from a Gibson Studio. It should come down to which guitar suites you better.

And neither of those Ibanez will disappoint.

Thanks for your opinion. No Prophecy guitars are sold anywhere near me so I would have to buy it online without trying it, which is a shame.

damillion 10-07-2012 02:47 PM

The Prophecy is all right. Not brilliant, but not bad. If I could make a suggestion within your price range it would most certainly be Dean Cadillac Select. It's a pretty standard guitar in terms of the hardware it offers, but it's a very fine build for the price in my opinion. The neck is just to die for if you don't intend to put on thicker strings or tune it down lower than D#.

I've been playing one for two and a half years and I don't regret buying it for a second.

DeanoM50810 10-07-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damillion
If I could make a suggestion within your price range it would most certainly be Dean Cadillac Select. It's a pretty standard guitar in terms of the hardware it offers, but it's a very fine build for the price in my opinion. The neck is just to die for if you don't intend to put on thicker strings or tune it down lower than D#.

I've been playing one for two and a half years and I don't regret buying it for a second.

Never checked that guitar before. So far it looks like nowhere in Ireland nor any website that posts to Ireland sells it, but I can always be proven wrong.

DeanoM50810 10-07-2012 03:04 PM

Also, has anyone tried the Fender Blacktop Stratocaster HSH?

dannyalcatraz 10-07-2012 06:43 PM

Quote:
The neck is just to die for if you don't intend to put on thicker strings or tune it down lower than D#.

I have a Time Capsule Cadillac I use for NST tuning- CGDAEG- with string gauges of 052, 044, 030, 016, 011, 009. Handles it just fine.

dannyalcatraz 10-07-2012 06:52 PM

You might see if anyone in Europe sells DBZ or Fernandes.

DBZ is Dean Zelinsky's second company, and I know Thomann had one model- a Cavallo, one of DBZ's Vs. With DBZ, he continued his pro-shredder design principles that earned Dean its shred cred early on.

Fernandes makes pretty shreddy guitars as well, and has a good reputation for quality. I may be getting one pretty soon- birthday coming up- which would make me damn happy. Been wanting a Ravelle since I first saw Reeves Gabrels and Dave Navarro using them in the 1990s.

MM14 10-07-2012 07:05 PM

With a budget like that theres nicer stuff around than deans, mexican fenders and epiphones.

Have a look around for used Gordon Smith guitars they're very good quality and made in the UK usually found in your budget range. Going used will make your money go further, Prestige MiJ Ibanez can usually be found in your price range along with other really nice guitars by Burny, Tokia, Orville etc. If Fender tickles your fancy then you may be able to find some American made things but I know that guitarguitar have a 51 Pawn shop that is well within your budget.

Telling us what type of music you want to use this guitar for would help us out

deadsmileyface 10-07-2012 10:26 PM

Iv'e played the blacktop strat. I like it. Personally, i would prefer a HSS setup because i like single coils more, but thats just me.

dannyalcatraz 10-08-2012 12:08 AM

Thomann has some Godin Sessions in your price range with a HSS configuration.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/search.htm...=&ls=100&oa=pra

As I recall, the next step up in quality for a HSS comfigured Godin is the Velocity model, but Thomann doesn't seem to carry them. You might want to look for a Velocity elsewhere.

There is also this G&L Tribute:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/gl_tribute...standard_bk.htm

DeanoM50810 10-08-2012 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM14
Telling us what type of music you want to use this guitar for would help us out

Ah, yeah, I should have said that.

I hope on getting a guitar that's good at what the Pro Jet can't do (as good).

MM14 10-08-2012 11:34 AM

Which country do you live in? This would make it easier fo us to find you good deals

(I'll also need your mother's maiden name and you credit card details)

DeanoM50810 10-08-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:
Which country do you live in? This would make it easier fo us to find you good deals

(I'll also need your mother's maiden name and you credit card details)

Very funny ;)

I live in Ireland by the way.

DeanoM50810 10-08-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Thomann has some Godin Sessions in your price range with a HSS configuration.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/search.htm...=&ls=100&oa=pra

I did some further research on that guitar, and I'm impressed. I'll consider it from now on. Thanks for helping out :)

MM14 10-08-2012 03:18 PM

A quick look around would indicate a few good guitars that aren't Gretsch like:

dannyalcatraz 10-08-2012 03:27 PM

I'm surprised to see that Patrick Eggle for that price.

FYI, he stopped making them for a while, but recently started making them again. Don't know the price of the new ones, though.

MM14 10-08-2012 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
I'm surprised to see that Patrick Eggle for that price.

FYI, he stopped making them for a while, but recently started making them again. Don't know the price of the new ones, though.

Aye not really a shred or metal type guitar but I think its still worth a look at

DeanoM50810 10-08-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:
A quick look around would indicate a few good guitars that aren't Gretsch like:

None of those ship to Ireland, which is a shame because they looked like sweet guitars :(

dannyalcatraz 10-08-2012 05:11 PM

The good news is, though, that Patrick Eggle is a UK luthier- you may be able to find one of his used guitars a little closer to home.

Check out his home page so you can get a better feel of what to look for:

http://www.patrickeggleguitars.com/