UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gear Building & Customizing (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Jackson Steampunk Project (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1566762)

Punisher23j 10-07-2012 07:16 PM

Jackson Steampunk Project

Well, I started this project a few days ago and it was going great up until now. I feel like this guitar will look like total crap when completed, probably because this is my first Steampunk project as well. If you have any suggestions to fix this please help, or if you even have alternative designs I could use it would be much appreciated.

W4RP1G 10-07-2012 07:33 PM

Well, there is no rule for how steampunk should look, but brass and pipes are totally steampunk. I'm not sure if it exists, but if there's a paint that will look like tarnished brass, that would be sweet.

I've thought about what it would take to incorporate steampunk into a guitar before, and I just decided that it would come across as too much of a novelty to pursue. If you find an elegant way to do this, please do share.

And make sure you are wearing steampunk goggles when you play it, otherwise you might look ridiculous :p:

Punisher23j 10-07-2012 07:52 PM

The under coat of paint is supposed to be copper, but it came out this odd gold color. I'm just generally upset at the way it's turning out. But thanks for the advice!

mr7string 10-07-2012 08:30 PM

You should coat the entire thing in a brass colour, then get a cloth with as little dark paint as possible and roughly rub it all over (search Dry Brushing for more detail) This will make it look legit faded and is less risky than sanding through a thousand coats of paint.

Tonnes of bronze hardware will help aswell, then just coat it in any spare bits of tubing/ copper wires/ cogs etc etc . . . . go out and buy a clock or something with a lot of gears, take it apart and use them, paint them to look like a dirty bronze.

Punisher23j 10-07-2012 09:02 PM

What type of spray paint or regular paint do you recommend to get the brass colour? I have this metallic spray paint but it came out awful as shown in the picture.

Viban 10-07-2012 10:18 PM

You should have left the base coat the same and then put some analogue gauges and copper pipe running throughout it.

Punisher23j 10-07-2012 11:20 PM

So just the goldish colour? And I do have the copper piping but I can't find analog gauges.

Viban 10-07-2012 11:35 PM

just go to like menard's or lowes and get a psi gauge or two. like one big one and one little one. and you might be able to find some copper oxide paint to do a little bit with to make it look like it's aging.

Punisher23j 10-07-2012 11:44 PM

Awesome advice, I'll look around then. I'm probably going to save that for another guitar though, I want to swirl this one.

Viban 10-08-2012 01:30 AM

hey man your projects, have fun with em'.

metal-matt 10-08-2012 05:18 AM

pressure gauges and valves are neat too

interesting project, will def watch
(alternitive finishes are my feti- nah i just like them, got a fur guitar, lolcatar (covered in lolcat images) and im going to make a stone top (top 10mm) guitar, should be epic)

steven seagull 10-08-2012 05:43 AM

it might affect the tone but you could wire a multimeter in the circuit so it shows you the current being generated through the pickups when you're playing.

whoomit 10-08-2012 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
it might affect the tone but you could wire a multimeter in the circuit so it shows you the current being generated through the pickups when you're playing.

That would be sweeeeeeet.

steven seagull 10-08-2012 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
That would be sweeeeeeet.

I suppose if you installed a preamp like the EMG afterburner you could offset any potential tone suckage...could also run some leds off it too, would get more light for more shreds lol

Punisher23j 10-09-2012 02:38 AM

I don't think I'll go through with the Steampunk idea, well at least for this guitar. I will post another thread if I find another project guitar that I can Steampunk successfully. But thanks to everyone for the ideas!

King of King V 10-10-2012 03:14 AM

http://1800recycling.com/2011/06/in...ycling-guitars/

W4RP1G 10-10-2012 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of King V

That looks f*cking awesome!

logicbdj 10-10-2012 08:09 AM

I like the photo you posted... it is industrial and rough, which actually goes with the theme. If you were to add in screws, bolts, etc., into the body (or even embed gears from an old clock or watch) it could look pretty cool. I then would go with pickup covers, as you can get anything printed on them... some kind of tarnished look with some graphics.

logicbdj 10-10-2012 08:11 AM

By the way... I'm having a luthier out of Nashville develop me a 'hotrod' themed resonator... he's using lugnuts (or plans to) for the tone and volume. Something similar can be done with this guitar, although if you can find some rusted ones, that would be apropos.

Spaztikko 10-10-2012 09:06 AM

I don't know how, but TS should definitely have LED fret inlays that glow different colours. **** that'd be cool.