UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Pit (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Peoples thoughts (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1566832)

AvengedReno 10-08-2012 05:22 AM

Peoples thoughts

I am planning on buying a electric guitar because I can't play the style of music that I would like on my acoustic. I haven't got enough money to get a amp though, so my question is, is it possible to play a solid body electric guitar without an amp until I have enough money to get an amp at christmas

W4RP1G 10-08-2012 05:24 AM

It's possible, but quite unsatisfying. You can probably get a Peavey Vypyr 15 used for $50 or less on craigslist.

Deliriumbassist 10-08-2012 05:24 AM

Yes. Won't sound great, and you'll only be able to get a distorted sound if you go "FFFSSSHHTTTHHTTSSFFHHTGGHH" every time you play a note.

Demon Wolf 10-08-2012 05:29 AM

An electric guitar without an amp is like a sandwich without cheese or a woman without a *******.

Incomplete.

SlackerBabbath 10-08-2012 05:46 AM

You can, but it still wouldn't give you the sound you want to play the style of music that you would like to play.

Of course, there's another way of doing it.
Instead of spending the money on an electric guitar, why don't you spend the money on a clip-on pickup for your acoustic and an amp?

You'd have a better 'clean' sound than many electric guitars and if you turn the amp up until it distorts, it'll also sound pretty good for more rocky stuff too. Meanwhile, you can be having fun with that while you save up for an electric guitar, which, once you buy it, you can plug straight into the amp that you'd already own.

rockingamer2 10-08-2012 06:05 AM

Yes. It just won't have a lot of volume since there's nothing to amplify the sound coming from the vibrating strings.

You're basically playing a guitar that has no resonating chamber. But you're still playing guitar.

McTodd 10-08-2012 06:06 AM

There are some fairly nifty non-amp solutions, depending on what you really want from it. If you're fine just playing with youself (*stifled laughter*) you can get a multi-effect pedal like this one and plug your headphones into it

guitarninjaruy 10-08-2012 06:21 AM

Get the guitar and practice the style you want to play. Then get the amp later

Lord_Doku 10-08-2012 06:27 AM

Sure, you can play unamplified. Make sure you attach a phonograph's horn to your output jack though, else you won't hear the vintage beauty of the guitar.

SlackerBabbath 10-08-2012 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Doku
Sure, you can play unamplified. Make sure you attach a phonograph's horn to your output jack though, else you won't hear the vintage beauty of the guitar.

slash_GNR666 10-08-2012 06:37 AM

dafuq is a 'electric guitar'?

SlackerBabbath 10-08-2012 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slash_GNR666
dafuq is a 'electric guitar'?

It's one of those 'stringed' instruments commonly played by beatnicks that is amplified by means of that newfangled 'electricity' m'lud.

slash_GNR666 10-08-2012 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerBabbath
It's one of those 'stringed' instruments commonly played by beatnicks that is amplified by means of that newfangled 'electricity' m'lud.

flame843 10-08-2012 07:19 AM

it is impossible to play an electric guitar with no amp. if you try, it will break in half and melt your hands off at the same time.

AvengedReno 10-08-2012 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarninjaruy
Get the guitar and practice the style you want to play. Then get the amp later

wouldn't something like that cost more than a little practice amp? I have got a amp in mind. It's a kustom dart 10fx and it has 3 level eq, gain setting and effects (reverb and delay) clean channel and lead which has distortion. But its 100 and I wont be able to afford it 'till christmas. So is it really that bad to not have a amp for 2 months?

Crazyedd123 10-08-2012 07:50 AM

It's possible, but it can mess up your technique because you won't be able to hear unfretted notes ringing out or accidentally holding a note for too long when sweeping due to the lack of amplification.

It's not exactly bad to do, but you may develop bad habits from it.

Danjo's Guitar 10-08-2012 09:47 AM

Man, I don't understand the people on UG sometimes.

Yes, go for it. Honestly I play my electric unplugged most of the time. Obviously thats not gonna help you all soundwise, but the feel of an electric guitar is much different than an acoustic.

Have you looked into getting a guitar/amp value package? The quality isn't very good, but really you don't start getting good quality for things until you're paying like $1,000 for them anyway. I personally started with a fender starcaster startup kit from Sam's Club of all places, and it served me well for a couple years. I actually still use the guitar, but I think something got messed up with the electronics of mine that actually made it sound better.

joestrat5000 10-08-2012 09:50 AM

It'll be fine, just make the sounds of how it would sound through an amp.

adamgur96 10-08-2012 09:53 AM

You can, but an electric guitar without an amp is like a woman without boobs ass and mouth, It's completely useless..... :shrug:

ali.guitarkid7 10-08-2012 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamgur96
You can, but an electric guitar without an amp is like a woman without boobs ass and mouth, It's completely useless..... :shrug:

Still has a vagina, and no complaints about the mouth.

OT: You might as well, man. You could just get the feel of electrics until you have the cash for an amp.