UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Pit (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Driving after Drinking (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1566920)

The Madcap 10-08-2012 06:09 PM

Driving after Drinking

This was something I was thinking about after that thread about buying alcohol for minors.

Many months ago, I went to a get together at a friends house. I'm not too involved in the whole college-social-drinking thing (and I don't drink, really) so I just played video games with some other people there.

Anyways, there was a lot of drinking and smoking weed, which I don't mind as I've been around that plenty of times before (and I've even bought these guys alcohol before as I'm old enough to). So the guys there had drank to the point where you could easily tell if you just walked in the room that they had been drinking. To that point where they're acting ******ed, leaving ridiculously long, stupid voicemails to people, etc.

So moving forward, as I was leaving I saw one of the guys driving to his apartment. It was about 2 in the morning, and if he were to get pulled over, he'd definitely get a DUI (or DWI, I forgot the difference) but he didn't get pulled over. He said his place wasn't very far.

So the point of this thread; There are some things that are displayed by the media as wrong, but it's just not a big deal if people do it. Things like pirating movies or software, or texting while driving. Commercials will display texting while driving as a very bad thing to do, but if I meet somebody ages 18-30, there's a 90% chance they text while drive.

Because I'm not really around this sort of thing often, I'm not really sure how common or frowned upon it really is, so that's why I'm asking.

If you were in that position I was in, what would you think of the guy driving? No big deal? Or do you think he's a jackass?

raoooos 10-08-2012 06:10 PM

He's a jackass. Have some self control. If your place isn't far, walk.

Momentosis 10-08-2012 06:12 PM

texting while driving is a big deal.

:o

Trowzaa 10-08-2012 06:13 PM

Absolute ****. I don't care if you want to put your own life in danger but there is absolutely no need to put every other person on the road in danger as well. Selfish, cuntish behaviour.

WCPhils 10-08-2012 06:13 PM

He's a gigantic jackass. He could have hurt anyone.

I have no tolerance for drunk driving. It's ridiculously selfish and you're basically saying you don't give a shit about anyone else.

Also, texting while driving is ******ed too. Almost everytime I see someone swerving all over the road they are doing something with their phone. So ****ing stupid.

The Madcap 10-08-2012 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momentosis
texting while driving is a big deal.

:o
Yeah, I guess. But I think the vast majority of people don't think so. I personally don't think it's a big deal if you're doing it at a red light or something.

necrosis1193 10-08-2012 06:14 PM

My father has spent his entire 40+ year career working on automotive safety, so while I'm not an expert, I like to think that I have easy access to an expert on the matters of drunk driving and texting while driving.

Both are stupid and obscenely dangerous, and I'm honestly kind of disappointed that you see them as trivial, Madcap.

ErikLensherr 10-08-2012 06:14 PM

Unambiguous jackass.

Weaponized 10-08-2012 06:14 PM

I think you should have offered to drive him there

Dreadnought 10-08-2012 06:15 PM

He's a jackass.

Trowzaa 10-08-2012 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Madcap
Yeah, I guess. But I think the vast majority of people don't think so. I personally don't think it's a big deal if you're doing it at a red light or something.

If it's that important then they should pull over and reply, otherwise it can wait until you've come to a complete stop. Being at a red light isn't so bad but then there's the annoying thing where they don't notice that it's turned green.

GoxGetterxGuy 10-08-2012 06:16 PM

Drinking and Driving has kill my best friends mother. I don't drink and when I go to partys I go out of my way to make sure no one drives. It's not okay to drink and drive.

The Madcap 10-08-2012 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrosis1193
Both are stupid and obscenely dangerous, and I'm honestly kind of disappointed that you see them as trivial, Madcap.
Fair enough. I don't like it, and I actually got my dad to stop doing it.

I usually only text at a red light, or I'll stop at a stop sign if nobody is driving around the area. But I don't text much at all to begin with.

It is wrong though, and I suppose I should put an end to it.

CaptainRon 10-08-2012 06:18 PM

He's a dipshit.

Legally I can't drive with even one drink, personally I don't feel like driving after one drink anyway.

CrimsonBizzare 10-08-2012 06:19 PM

How can you compare pirating software to DUI? The media portrays piracy as wrong because they're (arguably) losing out on a larger paycheck. DUI is deemed wrong because, in general, people would rather inconsiderate fuckers didn't endanger their own lives and those of everybody else in the vicinity for no good reason.

necrosis1193 10-08-2012 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Madcap
Fair enough. I don't like it, and I actually got my dad to stop doing it.

I usually only text at a red light, or I'll stop at a stop sign if nobody is driving around the area. But I don't text much at all to begin with.

It is wrong though, and I suppose I should put an end to it.

It's not as bad what you're doing - doing it when you're not moving anywhere - but unfortunately that's not what most people I've seen doing it do. It would still be bad, but nowhere near as bad if that were the case.

Either way though, you don't text much, so like you said, may as well just avoid it altogether. :shrug:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBizzare
How can you compare pirating software to DUI? The media portrays piracy as wrong because they're (arguably) losing out on a larger paycheck. DUI is deemed wrong because, in general, people would rather inconsiderate fuckers didn't endanger their own lives and those of everybody else in the vicinity for no good reason.

Do not open this goddamn can of goddamn worms.

Trowzaa 10-08-2012 06:23 PM

Quote:

This. Keep that can opener firmly in the drawer.

Colgate Total 10-08-2012 06:24 PM

I think it's totally wrong and would never, ever do that.

The Madcap 10-08-2012 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBizzare
The comparison was more about how common it is (which I'm really not sure about since it's an unfamiliar environment to me).

The piracy thing is something where it's really common and kind of pointless to even pass judgment on. I wasn't sure if this was something like that, where it's so common nobody even cares.

CrimsonBizzare 10-08-2012 06:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trowzaa
This. Keep that can opener firmly in the drawer.

But... OP was started it.

Wasn't there another thread on some UGer asking whether he should drink-drive a while ago? EDIT: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1529396

EDIT: ^ Oh, ok. The whole drink driving thing is generally frowned upon and there's been quite the clamp-down on it around here. Texting is a different matter, but I still can't see it meeting the same lack of public disapproval as piracy does.