UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   1989 Solid State, UsedVOX AC15/30 or both? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1566925)

Makko Mace 10-08-2012 07:17 PM

1989 Solid State, UsedVOX AC15/30 or both? [MOAR INFO!!]

So I've been looking into getting an amp for a while now, I have some money, but being in highschool without a job makes it rough.

I was sold on shelling out for a AC, not sure if the 15 would cut it or if I'd need the 30, but I recently found an amp at my friends house.

It's a Marshall Mosfet 5213 100w twin 12" done some research, people really do seem to like them, they go for around 300$ from what I've found online, but they seem to be pretty rare.

Here's them reviews

So the question is: Do I get the 200$ amp, and then/or save up for the Vox?

Would really like opinions on this, since this is most of a years money for me.

All input appreciated.

Edit: Miscellaneous info:

Genre: Okay, so I play mostly post punk alt rock, nothing with a ton of distortion, though I use a fair amount.

Gigs/band: I am in a band, but we're pretty nooby, no gigs yet though we sound decent, everyone can actually play and whatnot. We'd be playing small gigs, possibly out door markets, coffee shop type places.

Budget: I have around 400$ of my own money, my parents would likely match me, but I really do not want to spend it as that's not getting replaced anytime soon. Then again I want to get a good amp and have it over with.

Location: is Eugene Oregon, though I don't think that matters :/

Me: As far as skill I've been playing for two years, so I'm not great, though I do not plan on stopping anytime soon, and feel that getting an amp would encourage me to play more, and develop musically or whatever..

If I got the MOSFET I'd hold off the AC30 for a while, start putting aside money for it, since I'd be getting a used one for a good deal I could sell it at a slight profit (or at least break even) so it's not going to stop me getting the 30 later.

From what I've heard here and online, they're both good amps, I was leery of the SS but I've found only positive things on the interwebs and now in the comments here which embolden me.

In conclusion: I'm leaning towards getting the MOSFET then saving up and selling it (?) and going for the AC30, thoughts on this plan?

lucky1978 10-08-2012 08:27 PM

Buy "a" acoustic.

cdr_salamander 10-08-2012 08:33 PM

Depends. What kind of music are you mostly going to be playing?
Are you going to be gigging?
What versatility do you need?

CodeMonk 10-08-2012 08:43 PM

Ac30

Kevin Saale 10-08-2012 08:44 PM

Hmm, if the question is Marshall Mosfet or AC30, the answer is always gonna be AC30.

cdr_salamander 10-08-2012 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Saale
Hmm, if the question is Marshall Mosfet or AC30, the answer is always gonna be AC30.

That's not always necessarily true...

gumbilicious 10-08-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Saale

noob. ss !=< tube.

;)

i have heard some people like the mosfets. i had an old lead 12 from roughly around that era that wasn't bad.

we need this info to give advice on an amp

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1387138

cdr_salamander 10-08-2012 09:00 PM

Is my posts invisible or something?

JKHC 10-08-2012 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr_salamander

Not invisible, just disregarded ;)

Kevin Saale 10-08-2012 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbilicious
noob. ss !=< tube.

;)

i have heard some people like the mosfets. i had an old lead 12 from roughly around that era that wasn't bad.

we need this info to give advice on an amp

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1387138

I like SS amps, but I loooooove ac30s. I don't think there are any SS amps I'd pick over an AC30

gumbilicious 10-08-2012 09:10 PM

^i'd so prefer an AC30. only reason i never entertained owning one was because of the redic price tags (i'd have to have one with blues in it).
Quote:

i heard... something. like a mosquito buzzing or something. oh well

cdr_salamander 10-08-2012 09:55 PM

You've never owned one but sit there and talk it up over something else you've probably never played? I don't understand.

I've owned an AC-30 for a few months, and while it was a fantastic amp, it lacked in a lot of features that I prefer in more modern designs. It actually inspired me purchasing a Budda, because they somewhat modernized it.

head-case 10-08-2012 10:32 PM

Get the VOX. I own an AC30, and I don't want another amp, ever. I may just buy a second one. They're that awesome. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC30

Cathbard 10-08-2012 10:52 PM

The 100W MOSFET Marshall is one of the best SS amps out there and would make a fine backup amp but it aint no AC30. Having both would be a fine idea but don't bite off more than you can chew. If getting the MOSFET means you can't get the AC30 then don't do it.
And no, they aren't rare. They didn't sell as well as they thought they would (MOSFET was a big deal at the time and was touted as the "tube killer" - that's why they wrote MOSFET in big letters on the front) because they were competing with the JCM800 and a 2203 they aint. They still sold a lot of them though, they were the MG of the day. Odd isn't it? SS technology has developed massively since then but Marshall's SS amps have gotten progressively worse.

Kevin Saale 10-08-2012 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
The 100W MOSFET Marshall is one of the best SS amps out there and would make a fine backup amp but it aint no AC30. Having both would be a fine idea but don't bite off more than you can chew. If getting the MOSFET means you can't get the AC30 then don't do it.
And no, they aren't rare. They didn't sell as well as they thought they would (MOSFET was a big deal at the time and was touted as the "tube killer" - that's why they wrote MOSFET in big letters on the front) because they were competing with the JCM800 and a 2203 they aint. They still sold a lot of them though, they were the MG of the day. Odd isn't it? SS technology has developed massively since then but Marshall's SS amps have gotten progressively worse.

Not really, the original MGs were rebranded Parkers, a company that marshall bought out. If those cheeseballs would sell then why bother making the new ones sound better, just make them seem better.

gumbilicious 10-08-2012 11:45 PM

Quote:
You've never owned one but sit there and talk it up over something else you've probably never played? I don't understand.

is that toward me?

i have played plenty of AC30's, even gigged with one once. great amps.

i have played other marshall solid states from that era (the mosfets are kinda hard to find, but i owned a lead 12 from the same era), and have owned a couple more solid states from them. they make me prefer an AC30.

oh, and garageband has AC30 sim so that is JUST like owning one :p:

CodeMonk 10-09-2012 01:19 AM

I had a Marshall MOSFET Lead 100 back in the 80's.
I currently have an AC30.

I much prefer the A30.

Makko Mace 10-09-2012 07:00 PM

Allright, info updated!

cdr_salamander 10-09-2012 07:05 PM

Ending up with both of them is honestly going to be the best way to go. It's all about what is going to hold you over the best until you can get the other, you know?

I think going with the MOSFET is a great choice, but drive yourself to get that AC-30 as soon as possible because you will fall in love with it. I think they would make a great pair.

Makko Mace 10-09-2012 08:48 PM

Okay, guess that's what I'll do!

Thanks everyone for making me feel like I'm making the right choice everyone!