UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Musician Talk (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Jazz song Intro Help? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1566967)

Volcz 10-09-2012 02:07 AM

Jazz song Intro Help?

I've finished writing my jazz piece but after rehearsing I feel it needs some sort of intro. Does anyone have any techniques or inspiration (videos/songs/pieces) that I could listen to/read about how to write an effective melodic intro?

Since it's a piece (instrumental), I don't want to be playing the main melody in the intro as it's the first play after the first round of the chord progression into it.

It's in D# (not sure as to why that would help, I know my damn scales :p: ); and the main scale that was used in it was D# Aeolian.

Cheers.

Hail 10-09-2012 02:21 AM

lol aeolian

Volcz 10-09-2012 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
lol aeolian

^The main melody is extended with aeolian but it's not the only scale I use. Hence why I said it's the main scale used.

rockingamer2 10-09-2012 03:02 AM

TS, your song is in Eb minor. D# makes things too hard and aeolian is just a fancy-shmancy term for minor.

To answer your question, all I can think of is to improvise a lick in Eb minor ending on a note that holds tension and leads smoothly into the start of the song, like this:

Volcz 10-09-2012 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockingamer2
aeolian is just a fancy-shmancy term for minor.

Yeah I know, I've been using #'s though since I started so I'm use to them
My bad I meant Ionian. I know it [Ionian] is just the major scale, but I just like using those words. :cool:

Also cheers.

rockingamer2 10-09-2012 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcz
Yeah I know, I've been using #'s though since I started so I'm use to them. And my bad I meant Ionian. I know it [Ionian] is just the major scale, but I just like using those words. :cool:

Also cheers.

So it's in Eb major.
The reason we use Eb instead of D# is because it's a lot easier to work with music that way. If you take a look at the circle of fifths, you'll notice that only three keys are shown both ways (Db, Gb/F#, B):

Even for Db and B, they just list the most convenient letter even though you could go both ways. But why use more sharps if you could use less flats and vice versa?

On the mode names, I highly suggest you stop using them. Anyone who really knows their music theory will think that you don't know what you're talking about. There's already so much confusion surrounding modes, so needlessly substituting them for "major" and "minor" just makes things worse.

Volcz 10-09-2012 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockingamer2
On the mode names, I highly suggest you stop using them. Anyone who really knows their music theory will think that you don't know what you're talking about. There's already so much confusion surrounding modes, so needlessly substituting them for "major" and "minor" just makes things worse.

Well that's embarrasing, been using those names for a decade now :o

Thanks for your help bud.