UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Super champ or mustang for Santana tone? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1566974)

meqws 10-09-2012 04:11 AM

Super champ xd or mustang 3 for Santana tone?
 
Hey people,

I'm about to get a new amp and am down to these two.. I've been reading many comparisons between fender super champ xd and mustang III amps lately. I play mostly Santana and have the new PRS SE santana model guitar. Which of these amps do you guys think would satisfy my needs more?

Thanks a lot!

Eppicurt 10-09-2012 04:15 AM

Neither. We need more info.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1387138

meqws 10-09-2012 04:32 AM

I have about $200 budget. And since my budget is low, I'm thinkin about buying a used amp. I play mostly at home and currently have a crate v18-112 and I use a boss OS-2 pedal with it. This amp is waay too bassy. And it sounds too muddy without the pedal when the gain is high

Eppicurt 10-09-2012 04:34 AM

Are you going to sell your Crate? That would help with the budget and you can get something a little nicer. Also we need the genres you play.

Also where are you located in the world? That changes the used market dramatically.

meqws 10-09-2012 04:36 AM

Yea I'm gona sell it but I'll have $200 budget after I sell it. And I'm in CA, USA.

Eppicurt 10-09-2012 04:39 AM

Where in California? Just want to check out your local craigslist for some stuff.

I mean really with that budget though, getting something that'll do what you want is hard.

meqws 10-09-2012 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppicurt
Where in California? Just want to check out your local craigslist for some stuff.

I mean really with that budget though, getting something that'll do what you want is hard.


Yeah I know its kinda difficult with this budget. I can wait a little to save some money if there's something around $300 that can give the sound that I want. I live in san diego

Eppicurt 10-09-2012 05:13 AM

Yeah, saving is probably your best option for now. I mean ideally if you want Santana tones you need a Mesa Mk1, but they're way out of your budget.

Here's just a few I've pulled out in your price range:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/msg/3313119969.html
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/msg/3319207908.html
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/msg/3302844429.html (The Laney)
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/msg/3323572315.html (Probably not...)
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/msg/3315205450.html (A great deal)

Cathbard 10-09-2012 05:22 AM

Santana is Mesa Mark 1. A good hard boost in front of a Fender tube amp gets you surprisingly close to Santana tones. That's not surprising really when you consider the history of the Mesa Mark 1. If you aren't gigging, maybe an Excelsior? An actual tube Fender, not a hybrid or a modeller. Most old Fenders tube amps will do the deed with heaps of boost out front.
Old school tube Fender and a Timmy, that's the ticket.

What you really need is a Mesa Mark though of course. Start saving your pennies now.

Eppicurt 10-09-2012 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Santana is Mesa Mark 1. A good hard boost in front of a Fender tube amp gets you surprisingly close to Santana tones. That's not surprising really when you consider the history of the Mesa Mark 1. If you aren't gigging, maybe an Excelsior? An actual tube Fender, not a hybrid or a modeller. Most old Fenders tube amps will do the deed with heaps of boost out front.
Old school tube Fender and a Timmy, that's the ticket.

What you really need is a Mesa Mark though of course. Start saving your pennies now.

Interesting. TS, go try out the Excelsior with a boost and report back. :lurk:

Cathbard 10-09-2012 05:30 AM

Carlos was using Fenders prior to the Mark 1. The Mark 1 was basically a Princeton with a big fat tube boost bolted on front and a bigger power amp.

meqws 10-09-2012 02:14 PM

Thank you guys. Especially, Eppicurt... Thanks a lot for taking the time to search on CL. Appreciate it.. I think I'll wait a little more so I can save some $$$

fly135 10-09-2012 02:49 PM

That Crate VC5310 in the CL ad is a sweet amp, but very heavy if you need to tote it.

meqws 10-09-2012 04:27 PM

The other thing that makes me think is that I have to crank up the volume to be able to get the best from a tube amp. And I live in an apartment... If I crank the volume on the amp and turn it down from my overdrive pedal would I still be able to get a good sound?

Kevin Saale 10-09-2012 04:39 PM

You shouldn't need to crank an amp to get a good santana sound (you won't be able to get that infinite feedback though). Santanas sound is very smooth and a similar sound can be achieved with just preamp distortion.

Guitarbaddie 10-09-2012 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Saale
You shouldn't need to crank an amp to get a good santana sound (you won't be able to get that infinite feedback though). Santanas sound is very smooth and a similar sound can be achieved with just preamp distortion.


Just wanted to add to this.

Trying to find "that" tone, and living in an apartment don't go together, just an FYI

You can try at low volumes, but you'll never truly get there.

Robbgnarly 10-09-2012 04:55 PM

look for a used Fender Blues Jr

Kevin Saale 10-09-2012 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarbaddie
Just wanted to add to this.

Trying to find "that" tone, and living in an apartment don't go together, just an FYI

You can try at low volumes, but you'll never truly get there.


No, of course not, but no one is gonna nail his tone anyways. So much of his sound is from the amp being loud (but not necessarily power tube break up) and standing in the right spot to be able to get that harmonic feedback on demand for infinite sustain.

I can't remember if it was him or Gary Moore (likely both) but before a show during the initial soundcheck he would find the spot on the stage that gave the best feedback and mark it out with an 'X' of tape or something so he could walk to that spot during a solo to get that sustain you hear.

ihartfood 10-09-2012 09:12 PM

the Vypyr tube or Crate will do nicely.

meqws 10-09-2012 09:43 PM

I thought peaveys were mostly for metal or hard rock


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:09 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.