UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Musician Talk (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   How to find band members? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1567006)

Five Magics 100 10-09-2012 11:40 AM

How to find band members?

A few months ago my group dissolved because one of my members (lead guitarist) was going to be busy in college, so we went to ask two friends( a lead guitarist and vocalist) if our remaining group joins them, they agreed to it, but they needed to sort things with stuff like college and work, unfortunately the vocalist told me that its cancelled (at least for now, or so he says) since work eats up alot of time. As for the new lead guitarist i haven't been able to get in touch with him so i don't think hes doing it either. so for our remaining member, we all seemed to have gone seperate ways, its me (bassist), the drummer, and rhythm guitarist. drummer now plays in a metalcore band, and don"t know where the rhythm guitarist is anymore, and now im band less.

several reasons my group failed was (1) My rhythm guitarist was an asshole ( he criticized any music he didn't like harshly to others), and opressed any music theory ( he got mad when i took bass lessons, which actually did improve my playing).
(2) my former lead guitarist even admitted that the style of music that the rest of us wanted to play he didn't listen to much, we wanted to play thrash metal but he listened to bands like buckethead, dragonforce, and dream theater waaay more often, wonder why he stayed, he also admitted that he never took it seriously as he said he wasn't good enough
(3) as if that wasn't bad enough my lead guitarist got criticized most by my rhythm guitarist, by his music taste, criticizing him harshly cuz of mistakes, and he even criticized him on his personality.
(4) I was the only one to even attempt to learn music theory ( still am but its hard to learn without a teacher). I know theory isnt everything but it did help my playing and i was actually trying to make songs unlike the rest of my members, got frustrated that i was the only one trying to make songs while everyone else just rather guess instead.

Recently my old lead guitarist said he might work with me again, but with someone else on rhythm guitar, but i don't think i wanna since he lacked motivation, and musical styles seem a little too different ( i like dream theater, but like only 1 bucket head song, and i hate dragon force).

My drummer also said if the other two new members ( vocalist and new lead guitarist) he'd play again but i don't think that's likely, and i also find it quite annoying when my drummer complains when i listen to my favorite bands: " **** black sabbath , you overplay them, listen to something else" well they're one of my favorite bands of course I'm gonna listen to em often, plus i listen to music most of the time with my headphones on so why the hell would he be complaining? i never tell him he listens to his favorite bands too much ( the black dahlia murder) and he pissed me off today when he said "bass is pissing me off" I always practice playing bass when he's not around, and i don't ever talk about bass to him except before when we played in a band together, asked to jam with him as Ive never done it before, but always said no. :angry: also i never talk to him about black sabbath, and its not just black sabbath he bashes, its any band i listen to on a frequent basis so yeah i hate when he bashes the music i listen to on a constant basis. it seems impossible to find member who want to play my style of music, and before we found the new lead guitarist and vocalist, they tried craigslist, and had no luck with it, what are other ways to find band members, this is so frustrating

Hail 10-09-2012 12:02 PM

how old are you again, this sounds like me in like 9th-10th grade

network more and find people whose tastes and personalities are more synchronistic with your own

if you're in high school still, well, good luck getting anybody in your age range to take seriously - or anybody old to take you seriously

Five Magics 100 10-09-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
how old are you again, this sounds like me in like 9th-10th grade

network more and find people whose tastes and personalities are more synchronistic with your own

if you're in high school still, well, good luck getting anybody in your age range to take seriously - or anybody old to take you seriously

im 18 and graduated high school

Hail 10-09-2012 01:02 PM

and you're still doing the whole "he's an asshole, he's annoying" shpeal? either you're looking for the wrong people or you're not very tolerant

Five Magics 100 10-09-2012 01:31 PM

Quote:
and you're still doing the whole "he's an asshole, he's annoying" shpeal? either you're looking for the wrong people or you're not very tolerant

intolerant? no. I was with this group for 2 years, i was the only one attempting to write anything, we only did two gigs, and had to put up with their behaviors before we dissolved, we had to talk alot about songs to cover, had to argue if someone disagreed, my rhythm guitarist talked crap about others opinions on music, which the rest of us found annoying, i put up with it only because i thought things would change, and i don't know who else i could find, nope, i waited too long, if i was intolerant id have left a long time ago.

Hail 10-09-2012 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five Magics 100
intolerant? no. I was with this group for 2 years, i was the only one attempting to write anything, we only did two gigs, and had to put up with their behaviors before we dissolved, we had to talk alot about songs to cover, had to argue if someone disagreed, my rhythm guitarist talked crap about others opinions on music, which the rest of us found annoying, i put up with it only because i thought things would change, and i don't know who else i could find, nope, i waited too long, if i was intolerant id have left a long time ago.

"i'm not intolerant. i was with those assholes for 2 whole years!"

Barricade_28 10-10-2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

assholes don't have age limits.

CryogenicHusk 10-10-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:
"i'm not intolerant. i was with those assholes for 2 whole years!"

That kind of is the definition of tolerance, though. He put up with their shenanigans for 2 years. 2 years is a long time when you're a teen.

91RG350 10-11-2012 03:27 AM

TS... sounds like those band members had some "problems".... but maybe everyone needs to wonder if they contributed to the issue... for example...you refer to them as "my drummer"..."my guitarist"... etc.... as if they were in the thing to serve you.....

You guys can jam without it being a band.... that might be a good way to kickstart thigs again. A jam has no pressure... a band implies commitment...

Hail 10-11-2012 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91RG350
TS... sounds like those band members had some "problems".... but maybe everyone needs to wonder if they contributed to the issue... for example...you refer to them as "my drummer"..."my guitarist"... etc.... as if they were in the thing to serve you......

this was part of what i was getting at. extrapolating blame without confronting the person is an issue with you, and we could be hearing things from a...skewed...perspective.

Five Magics 100 10-19-2012 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91RG350
TS... sounds like those band members had some "problems".... but maybe everyone needs to wonder if they contributed to the issue... for example...you refer to them as "my drummer"..."my guitarist"... etc.... as if they were in the thing to serve you.....

You guys can jam without it being a band.... that might be a good way to kickstart thigs again. A jam has no pressure... a band implies commitment...

well i dont mean they serve me, i meant that because they were in the group that i played with, but yeah i might consider trying to jam

t1mman 10-22-2012 04:32 PM

TL:DR

but to answer:

WITH FREE BEER