UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Pedalboard - Unusual Problem (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1567083)

diceCOB 10-09-2012 08:44 PM

Pedalboard - Unusual Problem

Hi Everyone,

Had some trouble with my effects chain lately and wondering if anyone can help. I've got it set up as follows:

Boss Volume -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner -> Boss Chorus CE2 (older model) -> Ibanez Tube Screamer -> Boss RC3 Loop Station.

There's an awful whirring/hissing sound produced when the entire thing is hooked up, especially bad when I kick in distortion (TS-9 or amp distortion). When I take the Loop Station out, it sounds fine. But the Loop Station works fine on its own, it just isn't co-operating when it's hooked up on my board. I've checked all the cables, tried re-ordering the pedals to no avail. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
- Sam

greeny23 10-09-2012 08:46 PM

Do you have them daisy chained? What power supply?

diceCOB 10-09-2012 08:55 PM

Ohya sorry, it's a 1 Spot.

supersac 10-09-2012 09:52 PM

what amp are you using? try putting the looper in the effects loop if you have one

also it might be the powersupply makign some hummin

trashedlostfdup 10-10-2012 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceCOB
Hi Everyone,

Had some trouble with my effects chain lately and wondering if anyone can help. I've got it set up as follows:

Boss Volume -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner -> Boss Chorus CE2 (older model) -> Ibanez Tube Screamer -> Boss RC3 Loop Station.

There's an awful whirring/hissing sound produced when the entire thing is hooked up, especially bad when I kick in distortion (TS-9 or amp distortion). When I take the Loop Station out, it sounds fine. But the Loop Station works fine on its own, it just isn't co-operating when it's hooked up on my board. I've checked all the cables, tried re-ordering the pedals to no avail. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
- Sam

in front: pitchblack > TS > volume pedal > amp.
effects loop: chorus > looper in effects loop last

there are many ways it can be arranged, but thats what i would do.

greeny or eppicurt could help more. they are more into pedals than i, and greeny builds them, two of his are coming in the mail for me.

Oldmonkeys 10-10-2012 02:32 AM

eliminate everything.

do you get hum when you are plugged straight in? No?
Ok plug in the first pedal + power it up. noise? No?
do the next.... so on and so forth till you find the point where you get noise.

then from there try just the pedal that you added right before noise. do you get the hum then?

from there you can narrow it down to a certain pedal / having certain number of pedals running of the same psu / or even a faulty psu or cable.