UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Techniques (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   ear training (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1567105)

CryogenicHusk 10-09-2012 10:38 PM

ear training

I've kind of dropped technique practice for a bit. Haven't tried the solos I was trying to learn in a couple of weeks because I've been learning other things (have learned quite a few classical etudes and some shorter pieces as well as a 5+ min fingerstyle song I'm trying to get down within the next week that I'll play at a wedding in 2 weeks, and I'm nearly there).

One thing I"m trying to do that will help with electric guitar (and also classical and musicianship in general) is ear training. I got the functional ear trainer yesterday and I have done about 200 of those each day. I've also got the amazing slow downer and have used it to try to transcribe a song (as well as for slowing down the fingerstyle song I'm learning so I can play along with it and get the timing right on the trickier parts). So I started by trying to transcribe this one green day song that was mentioned on a thread recently. I didn't even have to slow it down to get most of it (except for the solo) and within like 3 mins I had it all down.

For the solo I've used the slow downer and worked out the bends and a few other notes but will have to work longer to finish it. What irritates me is that I read from that thread that it's in the D minor pentatonic scale. I know my "boxes" for the pentatonic shape and what I have been working out so far doesn't quite fit with those shapes (fits rather with the E minor pentatonic scale, specifically), but sounds right in my ear (right as in the same as the song). So I'm thinking maybe I need to work on my ear more (if it's not the right scale, shouldn't sound the same, I think) wondering if I should just not worry about transcribing for now and focus on ear training until I improve there (on the FET, I set it so that it asks about the whole major scale and uses a random key, but I don't do very well... for every 100 I get only like 30-40 correct... I am good at guessing the 1st, the 5th and sometimes the 3rd, but I suck at all the others, even 4ths).

tl;dr In a nutshell, what I'm asking is: if my ear sucks, should I not even worry about transcribing yet and instead just develop it with the miles.be for a bit until my scores improve? I mean if I'm having trouble with a pentatonic green day solo, there surely is some issue I must address...

Livingtime 10-10-2012 09:09 AM

If you know you have a problem and you know what is you should fix it.

And maybe what you were told about the D minor pentatonic was wrong, I mean its only a tone apart from E. People mess up :shrug:

CryogenicHusk 10-10-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingtime
If you know you have a problem and you know what is you should fix it.

And maybe what you were told about the D minor pentatonic was wrong, I mean its only a tone apart from E. People mess up :shrug:

I don't know. Knowing UG, one of the many people replying to that thread would've corrected that mistake, though. Either way, yeah I have a problem and I'm just gonna address it then. I'm sure once I get better at it, transcribing will be a lot less painful.