UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gear Building & Customizing (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Painting a guitar with spray cans - Good finish achievable? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1567152)

JayCartay 10-10-2012 10:41 AM

Painting a guitar with spray cans - Good finish achievable?

I'm considering a project and I will want to paint the guitar most likely. I've never done this before (painting a guitar) so want to find out if it's a waste of time or a worthwhile activity before getting too far in.

If I were to heat gun it, scrape the old paint off then sand it lightly and give it a couple of coats of wood primer, smooth it again, spray it and then lacquer it, would it be likely to turn out nice? I wouldn't want it to look amateur.

Has anyone else done this? What were the results?

seljer 10-10-2012 10:55 AM

The least important step in getting a good finish is the actual spraying (though still, go light on the individual coats), the key to success is meticulous prep work and sanding.

JayCartay 10-10-2012 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seljer
The least important step in getting a good finish is the actual spraying (though still, go light on the individual coats), the key to success is meticulous prep work and sanding.

Yeah, I'm definitely very conscious of that. Is there any particular type of paint I'd need? Same for lacquer?

poppameth 10-10-2012 11:28 AM

You can achieve a decent though not really professional looking finish. Check out the guides on the reranch website. I'd opt for spray lacquer when possible. Duplicolor makes automotive lacquer and enamel in a spray can. enamel is harder to get a good finish out of and you have a tricky time frame. With oil enamels you have to do all coats within a few hours or wait a couple weeks to continue. If you don't time it right the solvents will reactivate the previous coats and cause it to crackle. Lacquer dries quicker and is more forgiving on the time frame, but generally has fewer colors available. Either way, heat you cans in some warm water before spraying to minimize sputters.

Minimallamb 10-10-2012 12:29 PM

Mine come out pretty good. You need to keep rubbing it down with fine wet&dry paper if you want a very smooth effect

Explorerbuilder 10-10-2012 12:35 PM

Preparation is one of the key things to getting a good finish, with any type of paint.
Get it sanded to 400 grit and prime it, then hit that with 400 again, then throw a few more coats of primer on there.

I even hit it again with 400 grit before i put my color coats on.

Your best bet is automotive paint in the can. Even wal mart carries it.
Most other paints wont dry fully or fast enough.

LexiconDevil 10-12-2012 04:05 PM

do not use enamel paints on your car.if you're sticking with rattle cans then Acrylic Lacquer is your product of choice.Car paint.
sand to 220
prime (if solid colour)
several light coats of colour
then your clear coats
wet sand the clear up to 1200 & then polish

the biggest issue with spray cans is your limited to whats in the can as oppossed to being able to mix your own colours & thin your finish yourself if you were using a spray gun.
also there is the issue of constant pressure and the risk of splutters & drips with spray cans.
but with the right prep work,good technique & finishing work it's perfectly possible to get a good finish with spray cans.provided you use a lacquer which will dry to a hard film suitable for polishing.
enamels don't do that.

mtshark 10-12-2012 06:39 PM

It's definitely possible. I just painted my first build with Duplicolor. It turned out nicely, and currently I'm just waiting for a good dry so I can hit it with clear.

However, it can be a bit tricky. Due to the Duplicolor nozzle, it sprays in a fan rather than a more evenly rounded spray, thoats goes. Recoat time is 10 minutes- use that to your advantage, but I never sprayed more than 2-3 coats a day. is creates "lines" in your finish. You have to be really careful as far as the thickness of your coats go.

LeviMan_2001 10-13-2012 10:05 PM

mtshark, you shouldn't have to wait to terribly long for it to dry. You can hit it with another coat as soon as it's dry to the touch IMO. At least that's what I do.